Mets lose another hitter to IL, but have good Juan Soto news

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Posts
1,272,533
Reaction score
59
You must be registered for see images attach


LOS ANGELES — The Mets’ injured list continues to grow.


It could get even longer when the Mets travel to Chicago in a few days as well.


Left-handed hitter Jared Young was placed on the IL with a meniscus tear in his left knee before Wednesday’s series finale against the Dodgers.


Young is out for the next six-to-eight weeks, Mets manager Carlos Mendoza then announced during his pregame availability at Dodger Stadium.


It’s a similar timetable and injury to what veteran outfielder Mike Tauchman sustained on the penultimate day of spring training last month.


Mendoza also revealed that Jorge Polanco, who is out of the Mets’ lineup again on Wednesday due to his Achilles bursitis, could be next to land on the IL.


Polanco has been in and out of the lineup for the last several weeks, dealing with an Achilles issue since the Mets’ first series of the season in March.


The plan, Mendoza said, is for the Mets check back in on Polanco’s Achilles after Thursday’s off day when the Mets are preparing to start their weekend series against the Cubs. That gives him two days of rest in a row after he started at designated hitter on Tuesday night.


MJ Melendez was bumped up from Triple-A to take Young’s spot on the active roster. If Polanco does go on the injured list, the Mets would likely call infielder Ronny Mauricio back up from Triple-A to take his place.


It’ll certainly help when the Mets get Juan Soto back from his right calf strain.


His return isn’t imminent yet, but it’s coming into focus.


Soto started his running progression on Tuesday back at Citi Field. He ran again on Wednesday and faced live pitching for the first time since his injury. The Mets brought some minor-league arms over to Queens from High-A Brooklyn to face the star outfielder.


The Mets are hoping to have Soto back in the lineup within the next week, if not a little later than that. That would fit into the two-to-three week timetable they provided when he first got hurt earlier this month while running the bases in San Francisco.


“That’s the goal that at some point, not sure when, but at some point in the next homestand that we’ll get him back,” Mendoza said.


Read the original article on NJ.com. Add NJ.com as a Preferred Source by clicking here.

Continue reading...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,475,231
Posts
6,716,284
Members
6,438
Latest member
NamasteDave
Top