Memorial Day

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
My brother suggested a family camping trip for Memorial Day weekend then said he didn't realize it was a holiday weekend. Oh well, plans have been made so we are going out. Right now we are going up to the Rim but I think I am going to see if he wants to go somewhere less popular to try and avoid the crowds.

Anyone else getting out this coming weekend and do you have any suggestions on someplace to go?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everywhere I have been on a holiday weekend, especially memorial day, is a complete mess of people. Good luck.

I have some friends driving to big lake 4.5 hours away claiming it wont be crowded but I doubt it.

I will probably just do several day trips, maybe one random overnighter on top of four peaks or something. We'll see once I get up there. I have my son all weekend so I'm not going to work and going to adventure a bunch instead

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave on Wednesday. Seriously.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before going anywhere, check to see if it will be even open. Large expanses of the National Forests around the state are closed to all activity starting Wednesday. ALL activity. Get caught in the closed area, go directly to jail. Other areas (like all of the Tonto) have serious restrictions as to what type of activities are allowed (no fires, smoking, shooting of any type), no vehicles unless they full spark arresters, etc)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the worst weekend ever for this. Everything is closed, threats of jail time, no gas fires, just a total mess. I am going to go adventure around for some day trips and offroading but I am going to find some stuff people don't go to like abandoned mine shafts and play around there. What a crapfest.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the worst weekend ever for this. Everything is closed, threats of jail time, no gas fires, just a total mess. I am going to go adventure around for some day trips and offroading but I am going to find some stuff people don't go to like abandoned mine shafts and play around there. What a crapfest.

Yes it sucks, but would you rather be inconvienced once, versus not having a forest in the future?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it sucks, but would you rather be inconvienced once, versus not having a forest in the future?

:eyeroll:

come on now. I'm not the guy that needs this speech. I'm just saying if you are trying to go out, this is the worst weekend to do it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want to grout my side door? probably plenty other things need repaired too

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You could come to my house and install some can lights and move a ceiling fan:)
I posted this as Hollywood did some work for me several years ago. I don't think he does side work anymore and this was just a joke..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't camp much but I enjoy fishing. My solution for years to beat the crowds is to do everything at night.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
I posted this as Hollywood did some work for me several years ago. I don't think he does side work anymore and this was just a joke..
I don't....Unless you are a little old lady that has something not working. Because apparently if you are I will head over and take care of that even if I am getting ready to leave town.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turned out not to be a problem. There were surprisingly few people where I went.
Hollywood, you deserve an award for out thinking the masses. :cheers:

Sometimes people think things will be crowded and stay away.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Hollywood, you deserve an award for out thinking the masses. :cheers:

Sometimes people think things will be crowded and stay away.
Thanks but I know a guy that one upped me. He wen't to Chevelon Lake on the Rim. It was open because it is not in Coconino. It is in Apache Sitgreaves which closed a much smaller portion further south. He said he saw, maybe 20 people all weekend.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I know a guy that one upped me. He wen't to Chevelon Lake on the Rim. It was open because it is not in Coconino. It is in Apache Sitgreaves which closed a much smaller portion further south. He said he saw, maybe 20 people all weekend.

And you would have the record except for this guy. I won't say another word if you won't. :wink2: