MCU: She-Hulk (Disney+)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you watched the trailer on YouTube, just know that YouTube's compression, even if it's "4K" causes that effect where CGI looks more fake than what it looks like in the finished film.
No it wasn't that. I know the difference between compression artifacts and bad CGI. The CGI was reworked since the trailer and it's pretty obvious. For example, the first released trailer and the second one showed improvement. Then when the show aired it was improved even more. I am sure the early CGI was simply a product of where they were at in production.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
No it wasn't that. I know the difference between compression artifacts and bad CGI. The CGI was reworked since the trailer and it's pretty obvious. For example, the first released trailer and the second one showed improvement. Then when the show aired it was improved even more. I am sure the early CGI was simply a product of where they were at in production.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the ProRes screen shot in the link you sent (last picture first row). Now look at the other shot, next row, same trailer. You can clearly see there is a quality difference between shots in the same trailer. Her face in the same trailer in some scenes look horrible and in the same trailer other shots it's much improved. Likely the trailer was peaced together using both early and later FX shots. When you watch the episode, it's clear they improved on some of those early shots because the entire episode she looks more like the last 3 shots. Yes, a higher res trailer will look better when released at higher resolution but it's more than that. I am not talking about compression (resolution) in the trailer.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Look at the ProRes screen shot in the link you sent (last picture first row). Now look at the other shot, next row, same trailer. You can clearly see there is a quality difference between shots in the same trailer. Her face in the same trailer in some scenes look horrible and in the same trailer other shots it's much improved. When you watch the episode, it's clear they improved on some of those early shots. They don't look like they did in that first trailer. Clearly, a higher res trailer will look better when released at higher resolution but it's more than that. I am not talking about compression (resolution) in the trailer.

You might be right or we might be both right.

With that being said, compression has nothing to do with resolution.

Also, in regards to the "quality difference" in the same trailer, context is everything: Some shots set to blend in with a particular scene and whatever lighting the scene provides are easier to match against versus others. Look up the guys on YouTube called CorridorCrew. I watch their CGI reviews all the time.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be right or we might be both right.

With that being said, compression has nothing to do with resolution.

Also, in regards to the "quality difference" in the same trailer, context is everything: Some shots set to blend in with a particular scene and whatever lighting the scene provides are easier to match against versus others. Look up the guys on YouTube called CorridorCrew. I watch their CGI reviews all the time.
Technically it doesn't. However, the quality of the trailer is clearly impacted. That's why I put that in parenthesis. Compression impacts how much the pixels or video is compressed which most people perceive as a resolution issue. The average person doesn't know that the pixel count can be the same but the compression level adjusted impacting the visual quality. It's really easy to see the difference between compression artifacts, textures and the two clearly different shots in that trailer.

P.S. I get to see this stuff close up. My daughter is majoring in this field (hoping to get into film or gaming) and I get to see the cool stuff she is working on. She watched the episode with me and was pointing out all kinds of improvements from the trailer she could see. I assume she knows more than I and was an ex-film major as well.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What platform did you see the trailers on? If it was YouTube for example, they compress the hell out of the video to reduce the size. Disney+ will always have better quality content than anywhere else.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What platform did you see the trailers on? If it was YouTube for example, they compress the hell out of the video to reduce the size. Disney+ will always have better quality content than anywhere else.
I try to avoid Youtube. Pretty sure I watched the initial trailer on one of Disney's social media accounts. I don't recall which. The last one I watched for sure on Disney+.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I try to avoid Youtube. Pretty sure I watched the initial trailer on one of Disney's social media accounts. I don't recall which. The last one I watched for sure on Disney+.
Yeah you likely saw a lower bitrate on whatever social site you were on. Probably h264 which is the standard for short form around the web.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you likely saw a lower bitrate on whatever social site you were on. Probably h264 which is the standard for short form around the web.
Likely. My issue never was with the quality of the trailer itself (video quality). I always try and find a 4K trailer but if it's not available it's not the end of the world.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jen Walter has been doing 4th-wall breaks long before Deadpool was even created.
She did it first but not sure what "not long before" equates to. Deadpool came out in 91 and did it 6 years later and She Hulk didn't start breaking that wall until her second run in 89 where on the cover she was holding her own comic as a foreshadowing of the change.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
She did it first but not sure what "not long before" equates to. Deadpool came out in 91 and did it 6 years later and She Hulk didn't start breaking that wall until her second run in 89 where on the cover she was holding her own comic as a foreshadowing of the change.

Slight exaggeration but the point being is Jen and her writers aren't copying Deadpool's schtick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this… if anyone is looking to totally geek out, the Light And Magic six episode documentary about the creation/evolution of ILM from Star Wars through now is absolutely freaking FANTASTIC.

I really was in awe watching what all those practical effect and special effect artists accomplished through the years. For an film geek/fan, it’s a must watch.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I will say this… if anyone is looking to totally geek out, the Light And Magic six episode documentary about the creation/evolution of ILM from Star Wars through now is absolutely freaking FANTASTIC.

I really was in awe watching what all those practical effect and special effect artists accomplished through the years. For an film geek/fan, it’s a must watch.

Adam Savage's "Tested" channel on YouTube is a good follow for practical effects stuff, and Corridor Crew is great for CGI stuff.

This is what happens when they run into each other:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Adam also shares a lot of BTS stuff from his days working for ILM and doing practical effects for a lot of big movies.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good second episode and I definitely was asking myself how they were going to deal with Shang Chi. Guess we’ll find out next episode. A lot of Easter eggs and definitely lighter than normal Marvel stuff. Enjoying it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I need to check this out. Disney+?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Yeah I thought it was pretty good too. They are going all-in on the comedy that’s for sure. The 4th wall stuff is great. Very Deadpool and wouldn’t it be awesome if Deadpool made a cameo?

Even if Deadpool doesn't cameo here, if/when these two meet in the MCU, it's going to be hilarious.

Deadpool: "You see them too?"

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My youngest daughter loves this show. The end credit scene with Megan Thee Stallion she thought was hilarious. The wife and I think it's pretty funny. Definitely, not the serious tone of the other shows.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave