Major claps for ABC 15 phoenix

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ABC-15's HDTV equipment is undergoing maintenance and won't be available until june 30th.

WTF

Ummm, thats just great that they pull the plug on the hd in the middle of the freaking NBA finals. (not during the game itself)

I can't believe this. :mad:

Couldn't they wait another week or so, when they could be undergoing maintenance for their summer reruns or something like that, rather than cutting short the NBA finals in hd?

Man, lets see would fox or whoever has the superbowl next year do maintenance right before the superbowl?

Gee if you're a person with ceo credentials I'd be giving abc 15 a ring soon.

How uninformed or out of touch is abc 15 with its viewers? You pull the plug on some of the best and only good summer/hdtv programming available. Real Smart goofballs. :mad:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It does suck, but; I will give credit to ABC15 for this.
During the Suns and San Antonio series, it was the Sunday game, their HD signal went down.I was not happy, I called their switchboard and left a message expressing my feelings and left my phone number. I also sent an e-mail to their endineering department expressing the same feelings.
The next day, Monday, a gentleman called me and explained to me the reason why they lost their signal, a technical problem, and apoligized.
Soon after that I received this e-mail;

Hello from ABC 15 Engineering,

This message is to inform you of our DTV transmitter installation.

This installation will be doubling our output power and creating a backup so a transmitter outage is less likely to occur. This transmitter installation will be beginning today. During the installation the DTV signal will unavailable. We must remove most of the existing transmission path, add components to it, the reinstall it. Before the system can return to the air, it must go through a proof of performance as per the FCC. We anticipate the signal being available the last week of June.

This will cause no HD NBA Playoffs coverage to be available during this time. We apologize in advance for the outage during such an important sporting event, but we need to complete the installation at this time.

Thank you for watching ABC 15 DT.

Like I said, it does suck, but a lot of businesses could learn about customer service rom the way they handled this with me.
I am not directly a customer of theirs but they went out of their way to keep me informed.
I am actually impressed.

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
O said:
It does suck, but; I will give credit to ABC15 for this.
During the Suns and San Antonio series, it was the Sunday game, their HD signal went down.I was not happy, I called their switchboard and left a message expressing my feelings and left my phone number. I also sent an e-mail to their endineering department expressing the same feelings.
The next day, Monday, a gentleman called me and explained to me the reason why they lost their signal, a technical problem, and apoligized.
Soon after that I received this e-mail;

Hello from ABC 15 Engineering,

This message is to inform you of our DTV transmitter installation.

This installation will be doubling our output power and creating a backup so a transmitter outage is less likely to occur. This transmitter installation will be beginning today. During the installation the DTV signal will unavailable. We must remove most of the existing transmission path, add components to it, the reinstall it. Before the system can return to the air, it must go through a proof of performance as per the FCC. We anticipate the signal being available the last week of June.

This will cause no HD NBA Playoffs coverage to be available during this time. We apologize in advance for the outage during such an important sporting event, but we need to complete the installation at this time.

Thank you for watching ABC 15 DT.

Like I said, it does suck, but a lot of businesses could learn about customer service rom the way they handled this with me.
I am not directly a customer of theirs but they went out of their way to keep me informed.
I am actually impressed.

I don't remember the outage happening...it might have for a couple of minutes but I think it returned...I think I remember it being out just for a little bit...but I'm getting it through cable and not over the air...so the broadcast doesn't need to go through the air....ya know.

So with that, I don't know why you can't get it through cable. I can understand not getting it through the air.

But your right that is pretty good customer service :thumbup:

If the outage is to happen I'm glad it was a malfunction rather than a decision by management to undergo maintenance voluntarily. It sucks, but foul ups are in life, so oh well.

Thanx for the info :thumbup:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CardsFan88 said:
I don't remember the outage happening...it might have for a couple of minutes but I think it returned...I think I remember it being out just for a little bit...but I'm getting it through cable and not over the air...so the broadcast doesn't need to go through the air....ya know.

So with that, I don't know why you can't get it through cable. I can understand not getting it through the air.

But your right that is pretty good customer service :thumbup:

If the outage is to happen I'm glad it was a malfunction rather than a decision by management to undergo maintenance voluntarily. It sucks, but foul ups are in life, so oh well.

Thanx for the info :thumbup:

You're getting the High Definition broadcast?

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
O said:
You're getting the High Definition broadcast?

No not today.

But I got all of the suns games in HD when they were on ABC.

I get it through cable, and I thought I remember it going out for a minute or two, and I switched to regular, and then a couple of minutes later I swtiched back to the hd abc and it was back to broadcasting. (during one of the suns games)

But no it wasn't on hd tonight.

Just the way the explanation of the problem it sounded like it was a transmitter problem, via the tower at south mountain.

I'm under the impression that all cable companies get an actual physical fiber optic connection from the various tv stations rather than get it over the air and then send it out to its customers via cable.

With that said, I was asking myself if the transmitter isn't working for over the air broadcasts, than couldn't the physical connection be working and thus cox be able to show it. Catch my drift?

But it WASN'T being shown via cox either. :(

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am on Cx also.
As explained to me via the phone call they had problems with a card in their transformer. I would think their transformer problems didn't get fixed. All signals origionate locally from them be it cable or satellite.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CardsFan88 said:

The outage from that Sunday Game SA vs PHX was serveral days. It took 15 serveral days before they placed a message on the screen vs the black screen.

Funny, I fail to see 15 as anything more than a jack ass station.

Does it make a company good when they continue to screw up but apologizes appropriately?

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CardNots said:
The outage from that Sunday Game SA vs PHX was serveral days. It took 15 serveral days before they placed a message on the screen vs the black screen.

Funny, I fail to see 15 as anything more than a jack ass station.

Does it make a company good when they continue to screw up but apologizes appropriately?

Of course not, what I meant by that was if I have to miss a hd game I'd much rather have it be out of anyones control via an equipment malfunction, rather than an executive decision.

Sometimes stuff happens, other times people decide to stop the party. I'm less pissed that its the first rather than the latter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson