MacBook Air

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
My HP died not too long ago and (for a variety of reasons) I went out and got a MacBook Air.

I haven't used a Mac since the SE days, and was wondering what apps were required / neat to have.

I already have office 365.

Any other suggestions?

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have no suggestions but I am interested in any feedback. I have a new macbook air that I may want to add apps to.

I currently have added:
MS Office suite type deal w/ Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook
the Mac similar which is Numbers, Pages and Keynote
Adobe Reader

I'm new to Mac so I'm very inexperienced and learning as I go, in fact, i couldn't load a picture on another thread on ASFN and I'm not sure if it's my inexperience or if my connection was garbage.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've been using a Macbook Air for about two years now and really like it. I don't use many apps specifically for the computer, but the Dropbox and Google Drive plugins are nice.

If you guys are using it in conjunction with an iPad or AppleTV, there are some pretty cool things you can do, though.

Let me know if you have questions about the computer. I'm hardly an expert, but I can try to answer them.

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks Krep!

I will say that I have a home PC that I use in addition to my new Mac, and I keep all of my most important daily use files on Mozy Sync. When my HP died and I bought my MacBook Air, it took Mozy 5 minutes to download everything to my Mac.

Which was absolutely fantastic.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My HP died not too long ago and (for a variety of reasons) I went out and got a MacBook Air.

I haven't used a Mac since the SE days, and was wondering what apps were required / neat to have.

I already have office 365.

Any other suggestions?
Did you get a new one with Mavericks or a refurb?

New Macs with Mavs comes with iworks and I believe ilife is still free. These should cover what most people want to do, but there are tons of apps (free too).

I hate itunes, so I use MplayerX for videos, however I'll probably switch over to VLC since it offers better streaming of *cough* tv channels. I have Directv so no pac-12 network, but I can stream it great through VLC.

Remote desktop is handy

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm new to Mac so I'm very inexperienced and learning as I go, in fact, i couldn't load a picture on another thread on ASFN and I'm not sure if it's my inexperience or if my connection was garbage.
I don't think that should really have anything to do w/ the Mac itself as opposed to the browser instead. There could be something blocking the image if it's embedded in the thread. If it's embedded, the server might not allow viewing it outside of its server.

If you're using Safari it might be possible an "in-private" tab could block it, but i'm not sure. I use firefox.

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Did you get a new one with Mavericks or a refurb?

New Macs with Mavs comes with iworks and I believe ilife is still free. These should cover what most people want to do, but there are tons of apps (free too).

I hate itunes, so I use MplayerX for videos, however I'll probably switch over to VLC since it offers better streaming of *cough* tv channels. I have Directv so no pac-12 network, but I can stream it great through VLC.

Remote desktop is handy

New one. Has to last me.

I will look at iworks and ilife.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iMovie is very powerful and a lot of fun to play with. FWIW.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose