Lou's Views #4: Dbacks Offseason '04-'05 Direction Must Be...

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, I like to admit that I was extremely elated when I heard that Wally Backman was hired since he would have instilled the necessary ingrediants that the Dbacks organization have been lacking since the "Showalter Era".... A fiery "field leader" who always garnishes the fullest level of play out of all his players and is fundamentally sound....Would know how to convey all those elements without using "kid-gloves"........Someone who is willing to hold his players accountable for their actions and wouldnt constantly deflect any blame off of them (which is something that Brenly was known for and since Melvin is a "Brenly clone", that is something that we may expect). Players then become too complacent whenever that happens, which would have been completely averted if Backman's past didnt come back to haunt him........

Regardless now of the manager situation, the Dbacks must continue the "youth-movement" that was thrusted upon them..... Here's my position-by-position hopes.....

1st Base:
Yes, I'm totally against bringing back Sexson since I'm not fully convinced he'll ever revert back to the form he had prior to his injury. He's also such a one-dimensional player and even if he's their only 'legit power threat, he still wouldnt see many decent pitches since the Dbacks lack anyone that could hit behind him..... Most still contend that the Dbacks erred heavily in the trade that brought Sexson over here, however, most of those players (besides Capuano) were interchangable....replaceable.....Kata, Snyder, and Hairston are a lot better than Counsell, Spivey, and Moeller...especially in the over-all long-term situation....Overbay had a flukey 1st half for the Brewers and returned "back to life...back to reality" in the 2nd half.....1st base is a position in which there's never a shortage of anyways....Plus, the Dbacks line-of-thinking was that Sexson would be their savior there for many years to come......Well, out of necessity....Hillenbrand was forced to become their every day 1B....I know he's obviously not a prototypical 1B and that he's currently a FA, but it would be more fiscally sound that they sign him to a 1-2 year deal....Obviously what he would earn would be less than half of what they were offering Sexson, which would free-up money for needs I would address later..... Long-term...if the Dbacks do acquire Major League ready 1B in a Randy Johnson deal....Hillenbrand would just serve as a stop-gap....or they could platoon Hammock, Olson, and perhaps Andy Green.....I would still convert Sergio Santos to 1B, especially if they manage to sign Stephen Drew.....

2B......I liked the power and speed that Hairston exhibited...I just hope that he'll maintain some focus with Melvin at the helm.....I expect that Hairston will become a perennial 20/20 player and his defense will improve tremendeously.....

SS... I am in favor of signing someone like Aurilia for a 1-yr contract because Cintron isnt the answer (and I contend that Cintron will be involve with some sort of package deal before Spring Training)....We got a brief glimpse of Jerry Gil toward the end of this past-season, but he needs another year of seasoning in the Minors.....If Stephen Drew is signed...he possibly might be the Opening Day SS, however, that might be decided after the fact when Aurilia is signed.....

3B....Chad Tracy...enough said....he's the Dbacks answer to Wade Boggs... He did improve his defense as the season progressed, but we all know how solid he is offensively that his sometimes erratic arm can be overlooked....

C....I loved the addition of Koyie Hill and Chris Snyder is a capable back-up...That tandem will "lock-up" this position for years to come....And definitely no Juan Brito in '05.....

RF.....No reports of Danny Bautista re-signing...which is promising since he had one of those "last year of a contract years".... The Dbacks could this year platoon Hammock/DeVore/Kroeger, or sign a stop-gap for a mininmal contract to play the 1st half of the season until either C. Jackson or C. Quentin are primed-and-ready for ML action......

CF....Terrero is the answer there and no way possible would I derail his progress by bringing back Steve Finley.....Terrero's speed, hustle in the outfield, and power will be present in the Dbacks line-up for several years to come....

LF...."Gonzo's" "last hurrah" in LF until C. Quentin or other prospects are ready to replace him....I recall that many suggests that Gonzo plays 1B, which is something I do foresee in '06 if Santos isnt converted or they dont deal Randy Johnson to begin with......

Kata will be "Counsell Part II".....Dont know who else out of Baerga or Colbrunn will return.... McCracken could be the stop-gap in RF that I mentioned earlier.....

Starting Pitching.....

If they Dbacks elect to keep a low payroll, Johnson must be traded... In light of the recent manager debacle and witnessing his "rival" Schilling "one-up" in the amount of WS rings makes him even more eager to be dealt to a contender rather than being involved in a "rebuilding process"... Johnson would be dealt for both a ML ready 1B and pitcher and perhaps a Class AA pitcher who will dominate w/in the next 2-years.....

The money earmarked for Johnson will go to acquiring 2-top level starters who are available in this deep FA pitching crop...... Webb would be the #3 starter (which he is best suited for), and then Fossum, Bill Murphy, Villareal, Gosling, or Gonzalez vying for 4th and 5th respectively.....

BP....
This is where the money they're saving by not signing Sexson and trading Johnson will benefit them considerably.....The Dbacks better not hope that
Valverde, Choate, Bruney, Randolph, Koplove, Nance, Lyon, and Fassero can all manage to pitch 50-100 + innings each.....Especially since most were on the DL last season for various arm ailments.....They must obtain a reliever who throughout his career has consistently exhibited a "rubber arm" without sustaining injuries and has been solid.....No more "quick-fixes" like Fetters and Service either.....

I do like Aquino as the closer and he'll serve in that role for the next 5 or so years....

Yes, I would concede that this roster wont guarantee too many wins in '05, but will enable the team to be competitive and fiscally viable.....This is how though the likes of the Minnesota Twins turned their team around, which should be the model approach for many organizations......

The Dbacks need a true direction and must maintain that course...rather than languish around in nothingess...... If they do follow this type of blue-print, they could be winners sooner than we know it......

Djaughe

Reaction score
Nice post KLL. Alot of good points.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Good points, although I don't see the point of bringing in two top-level pitchers if the the heart of our lineup is going to consist of Rich Aurilia, Gonzo, and Hillenbrand.

My plan if anyone cares in batting order:

1. CF - Luis Terrero - What other options do we have? Plus he has speed and a little bit of pop. Patience at the plate needs to be hammered into his head during Spring training. Salary - 350K

2. 3B - Chad Tracy - Sorry Lou, but the Wade Boggs comparison is laughable. Joe Crede is more applicable. Anyways, the guy gets on base and isn't afraid to take a walk. Plus he's hitting lefty behind a base stealing threat. Salary - 350K

3. LF - Luis Gonzales - Good guy, solid ballplayer, bad contract. On this team, .300 25 100 is a good year. Expect him to get fed up with the nonsense around July and the front office to look into giving him what he wants. Salary - $10 million

4. 1B - Shea Hillenbrand - Swings at everything and going opposite field seems like it's a chore for him but he exceeded many people's expectations last year filling in for Sexson. Another trade possibility midseason. Salary - $3 million

5. RF - Jeromy Burnitz - Yeah, I know he can't hit for average or for as much power outside Coors, but it's not like BOB is Chavez Ravine. He'll hit 30 bombs playing here next year at a .250 clip and everyone seems to want this guy at the deadline for some reason. Salary $2.5 million

6. SS - Jose Valentin - This guy is Cintron bad in the field and hits for no average yet he can go yard and we all know what the fans in Phoenix like. Salary - $1 million

7. C - Koyie Hill - I am very high on this guy. You have to love his toughness and grit and while he'll never wow you offensively, if he could be a solid field general and leader we'll be set. Salary - 350K

8. 2B - Cintron/Kata/Gil - Personally I'd prefer Gil over both of the other clowns because at least when he can provide a glove to go with a lack of production from the plate. Salary - 350K

Bench:

Kata - 350K
Cintron - 350K
Hammock - 350K
Baerga - 700K
Devore - 350K
Snyder - 350K

Pitching staff: Here's where it gets dicier

1. Hideo Nomo - I know what you're thinking and I can't believe I'm putting this up here as I may get mocked for it in the present and future, but the guy was hurt last year and was throwing 84 mph fastballs. Prior to being hurt he was the #1 guy on a very good Dodger staff. Give him a one year incentive-laden deal if he's healthy and give him the start on Opening Day. He has a career ERA of 1.49 at BOB and is certainly a better gamble than Shane Reynolds was. Salary - $1.5 million

2. Brandon Webb - Solid #2 but someday I'd like to see him at the third spot of the rotation. He seems to lose focus too easy and may lack the mental toughness necessary for postseason pitching but he'll do fine in the regular season. Get a coach in here as his control must have been affected by someting in his deleivery. Salary - $3 million

3. Ron Villone - The guy has been very solid over the past few years yet somehow keeps having to change addresses. He'll never dominate games or anything but he'll keep his team in them. Decent starter plus could help in the bullpen if he struggles as a starter. Salary - $1.5 milloin

4. Ramiro Mendoza - Is it just me or does anyone else think this would be better if he just got out of New York or Boston? His home/away splits are interesting in that regard. If not, he'd help in the bullpen and he's probably going to spend tihs year trying to get back some value. Salary - $1 million

5. Fossum/Gosling - Spring Training dogfight. I'd prefer seeing Fossum or because he has the most upside. I could easily see Fossum settling into the rotation if he gets his velocity back up to the mid 90s as it was when he played for Boston. However that's a big if and Gosling came on well last year. Salary - 500K

Bullpen:

CL - Greg Aquino - Proved himself last year - 350K
SU - Jose Valverde - Needs to stay injury-free - 350K
BP - Brian Bruney - Guy can throw hard which is big - 350K
BP - Brandon Lyon - Two years ago was regarded as Red Sox closer of the future - 350K
BP - Jeff Fassero - need a vet & LH down there during games - 500K
BP - Fossum/Gosling - long relief

Others such as Daigle, Villarial, and Koplove are all given shots as well, notably to replace Lyon and Bruney. This team will not be very good, the pitching is a huge gamble, and the defense is awful. However, there will be plenty of home run hitting and a facade of competitiveness to keep some people in the seats and the payroll will only be around $30 million so we can conserve money for the future. Signing Drew should be a must, and if/when this team is out of it come trade time, a GM who know what he is doing must be in place.

* I included an RJ deal in my plan and you should think that the two MLB ready players, such as Jon Garland and Carlos Lee in the rumored ChiSox trade or Jayson Werth and Brad Penny in rumored Dodger trade, to be on this team.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Good points, although I don't see the point of bringing in two top-level pitchers if the the heart of our lineup is going to consist of Rich Aurilia, Gonzo, and Hillenbrand.

My plan if anyone cares in batting order:

1. CF - Luis Terrero - What other options do we have? Plus he has speed and a little bit of pop. Patience at the plate needs to be hammered into his head during Spring training. Salary - 350K

2. 3B - Chad Tracy - Sorry Lou, but the Wade Boggs comparison is laughable. Joe Crede is more applicable. Anyways, the guy gets on base and isn't afraid to take a walk. Plus he's hitting lefty behind a base stealing threat. Salary - 350K

3. LF - Luis Gonzales - Good guy, solid ballplayer, bad contract. On this team, .300 25 100 is a good year. Expect him to get fed up with the nonsense around July and the front office to look into giving him what he wants. Salary - $10 million

4. 1B - Shea Hillenbrand - Swings at everything and going opposite field seems like it's a chore for him but he exceeded many people's expectations last year filling in for Sexson. Another trade possibility midseason. Salary - $3 million

5. RF - Jeromy Burnitz - Yeah, I know he can't hit for average or for as much power outside Coors, but it's not like BOB is Chavez Ravine. He'll hit 30 bombs playing here next year at a .250 clip and everyone seems to want this guy at the deadline for some reason. Salary $2.5 million

6. SS - Jose Valentin - This guy is Cintron bad in the field and hits for no average yet he can go yard and we all know what the fans in Phoenix like. Salary - $1 million

7. C - Koyie Hill - I am very high on this guy. You have to love his toughness and grit and while he'll never wow you offensively, if he could be a solid field general and leader we'll be set. Salary - 350K

8. 2B - Cintron/Kata/Gil - Personally I'd prefer Gil over both of the other clowns because at least when he can provide a glove to go with a lack of production from the plate. Salary - 350K

Bench:

Kata - 350K
Cintron - 350K
Hammock - 350K
Baerga - 700K
Devore - 350K
Snyder - 350K

Pitching staff: Here's where it gets dicier

1. Hideo Nomo - I know what you're thinking and I can't believe I'm putting this up here as I may get mocked for it in the present and future, but the guy was hurt last year and was throwing 84 mph fastballs. Prior to being hurt he was the #1 guy on a very good Dodger staff. Give him a one year incentive-laden deal if he's healthy and give him the start on Opening Day. He has a career ERA of 1.49 at BOB and is certainly a better gamble than Shane Reynolds was. Salary - $1.5 million

2. Brandon Webb - Solid #2 but someday I'd like to see him at the third spot of the rotation. He seems to lose focus too easy and may lack the mental toughness necessary for postseason pitching but he'll do fine in the regular season. Get a coach in here as his control must have been affected by someting in his deleivery. Salary - $3 million

3. Ron Villone - The guy has been very solid over the past few years yet somehow keeps having to change addresses. He'll never dominate games or anything but he'll keep his team in them. Decent starter plus could help in the bullpen if he struggles as a starter. Salary - $1.5 milloin

4. Ramiro Mendoza - Is it just me or does anyone else think this would be better if he just got out of New York or Boston? His home/away splits are interesting in that regard. If not, he'd help in the bullpen and he's probably going to spend tihs year trying to get back some value. Salary - $1 million

5. Fossum/Gosling - Spring Training dogfight. I'd prefer seeing Fossum or because he has the most upside. I could easily see Fossum settling into the rotation if he gets his velocity back up to the mid 90s as it was when he played for Boston. However that's a big if and Gosling came on well last year. Salary - 500K

Bullpen:

CL - Greg Aquino - Proved himself last year - 350K
SU - Jose Valverde - Needs to stay injury-free - 350K
BP - Brian Bruney - Guy can throw hard which is big - 350K
BP - Brandon Lyon - Two years ago was regarded as Red Sox closer of the future - 350K
BP - Jeff Fassero - need a vet & LH down there during games - 500K
BP - Fossum/Gosling - long relief

Others such as Daigle, Villarial, and Koplove are all given shots as well, notably to replace Lyon and Bruney. This team will not be very good, the pitching is a huge gamble, and the defense is awful. However, there will be plenty of home run hitting and a facade of competitiveness to keep some people in the seats and the payroll will only be around $30 million so we can conserve money for the future. Signing Drew should be a must, and if/when this team is out of it come trade time, a GM who know what he is doing must be in place.

* I included an RJ deal in my plan and you should think that the two MLB ready players, such as Jon Garland and Carlos Lee in the rumored ChiSox trade or Jayson Werth and Brad Penny in rumored Dodger trade, to be on this team.

Im digging the idea here. I was bored and had written down a similar one the other day. Same position players, except I still had Hairston at 2nd (I know he cant field), and either Cintron or Clayton at SS (not ideal candidates). Id also go with 5 bench guys instead of 6 and stick in an extra bullpen guy (i think we'll need it), but thats just me. I also think we will go after a vet backup catcher that way Snyder can continue to develop in AAA instead of being benched. The nice thing about getting rid of Sexson, Mantei, and Bautista is the money that will be freed up, plus the crapload of picks we would accumulate from doing so (Sexson and Mantei are type A players, Bautista is a type B). Baerga is a type C so we could ditch him if we really wanted the extra pick, and go with McCracken instead of Devore for a little more vet presence. The pitching looks alright for being so cheap, but Id prefer to go for one of the younger, mid-priced guys since we have all this money saved up. And also, Im still not sold on trading Johnson, he's got a no trade clause, few teams can afford him, few teams can offer what we want, I just think it will be too hard to match up for a deal, and we arent desperate enough to dump him for nothing like Schilling.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard