Logical FO's the Suns SHOULD pursue!

silverstyne

Reaction score
Trade Marion, Get Bowen!

Hi, guys! I'm new to this board, but I've been a suns fans since the day I started watching TV. I can't remember a year where the suns have shown as much promise as this incoming one. I can hardly contain my excitement... Here's my summer blue print for the suns...

We all know the suns are going after Kobe, but who should he play with? I advise the suns to trade Marion for a big man. Before you start stoning me, let me give my reasons why.

1. Our cap situation is not high enough to lure Kobe, without moving White/Eisley and they're proving to be difficult to move. The next option of course is to clear more room through the trade of Marion.

2. Getting a respectable big fills one of our needs. I believe the center need not be an offensive force, just a big body to fill the lane with. Amare will have to take care of the rest. Some of my prospective targets are Dampier, Foyle, Elden Campbell, etc.

3. Who'll replace Marion? We sign Bowen!!! I believe Bowen will be a perfect fit in the 3 spot. Bowen is super defender, who can shoot the three and who doesn't ask the ball! I believe every championship team has guys like that. For the Bulls - it was Rodman, Lakers - it was Harper, Spurs - it was Rose and Bowen. And he doesn't cost the much too! I believe he can be had for around 5-6 million!

4. We then use our #7 pick on a point guard - Ben Gordon or Devin Harris. I think either one will do. Ben Gordon is more attractive at this point because of the lost offensive presence of Marion.

So now, the team consists of:

PG - Gordon, Barbosa, Vujanic, Eisley
SG - Kobe, JJ, Jacobsen
SF - Bowen, Cabarkapa
PG - Amare, some other fillers
C - Dampier, White, Voshkul

Man, I believe that this team will compete! You should take a look at the defensive potential too! Kobe, Bowen, Barbosa/Gordon - these guys can REALLY shut down perimeter players. Amare and Dampier more than will hold on their own for rebounds and blocks. We can reach deep into the playoffs with this team.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Freddie

Registered
Reaction score
silverstyne said:
Hi, guys! I'm new to this board, but I've been a suns fans since the day I started watching TV. I can't remember a year where the suns have shown as much promise as this incoming one. I can hardly contain my excitement... Here's my summer blue print for the suns...

We all know the suns are going after Kobe, but who should he play with? I advise the suns to trade Marion for a big man. Before you start stoning me, let me give my reasons why.

1. Our cap situation is not high enough to lure Kobe, without moving White/Eisley and they're proving to be difficult to move. The next option of course is to clear more room through the trade of Marion.

2. Getting a respectable big fills one of our needs. I believe the center need not be an offensive force, just a big body to fill the lane with. Amare will have to take care of the rest. Some of my prospective targets are Dampier, Foyle, Elden Campbell, etc.

3. Who'll replace Marion? We sign Bowen!!! I believe Bowen will be a perfect fit in the 3 spot. Bowen is super defender, who can shoot the three and who doesn't ask the ball! I believe every championship team has guys like that. For the Bulls - it was Rodman, Lakers - it was Harper, Spurs - it was Rose and Bowen. And he doesn't cost the much too! I believe he can be had for around 5-6 million!

4. We then use our #7 pick on a point guard - Ben Gordon or Devin Harris. I think either one will do. Ben Gordon is more attractive at this point because of the lost offensive presence of Marion.

So now, the team consists of:

PG - Gordon, Barbosa, Vujanic, Eisley
SG - Kobe, JJ, Jacobsen
SF - Bowen, Cabarkapa
PG - Amare, some other fillers
C - Dampier, White, Voshkul

Man, I believe that this team will compete! You should take a look at the defensive potential too! Kobe, Bowen, Barbosa/Gordon - these guys can REALLY shut down perimeter players. Amare and Dampier more than will hold on their own for rebounds and blocks. We can reach deep into the playoffs with this team.

What do you guys think?

Welcome to the board. :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Welcome!

The first big issue I saw with your idea was the Dampier portion. I think it's been pretty much assumed that he will most likely go to the Eastern Conference. Over there, he immediately becomes an All Star.

Secondly, I think it is probably near impossible to trade Shawn Marion for any good big man.

OP
OP
silverstyne

silverstyne

Reaction score
I don't think Dampier would be much of a loss though, with this scenario, we still have White to fill the lane with. I still think the other 4 spots are as good as settled. Even if we don't get a center throught the trade, I believe we still have enough cap room to sign one.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Secondly, I think it is probably near impossible to trade Shawn Marion for any good big man.

How about Shaq?

Shaq is still the most dominant player in the NBA.

Since everybody else is sharing their Suns off season fantasies here's mine.

Shaq tells the Lakers that he will retire unless they trade him to Phoenix. The Suns offer Marion and the #7. The Lakers take it and will begin rebuilding around Kobe, Marion and the #7 pick.(they think they have the 21rst century version of Jordan and Pippen)

Shaq states that he wants to go to Phoenix to mentor his protege Amare and pass the torch to him in 3 years. Shaq says he will finally get to play with a dominant athletic PF that will compliment his game.

To complete the Suns makover 2 prominant NBA role players (not named Payton or Malone) sign with Phoenix for the min. stating their desire to play for the newly rebuilt powerhouse. They also express their desire to play for such a quality franchise.

Shaq and Amare would rival Duncan and Admiral of a few years ago. San Antonio won their first title with these two and a bunch of nothing. JJ is argueably more talented than anyone the Spurs had. JJ is big and could be great at getting the ball to Shaq and Amare down low.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most of your scenerio is "familiar" to people on this board except for the idea of getting Bowen as a replacement for Marion. His announcement that he is using his player option makes him a possible replacement for Marion if the Suns did do one of infinite number of "trade Marion" proposals that we see.

This is not an exceptional FA market for small forwards (Kobe is a guard). Bowen might actually be the best available. I haven't really considered the impact but I could see scenerios where he would be a good pickup.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
devilalum said:
How about Shaq?

Shaq is still the most dominant player in the NBA.

Since everybody else is sharing their Suns off season fantasies here's mine.

Shaq tells the Lakers that he will retire unless they trade him to Phoenix. The Suns offer Marion and the #7. The Lakers take it and will begin rebuilding around Kobe, Marion and the #7 pick.(they think they have the 21rst century version of Jordan and Pippen)

Shaq states that he wants to go to Phoenix to mentor his protege Amare and pass the torch to him in 3 years. Shaq says he will finally get to play with a dominant athletic PF that will compliment his game.

To complete the Suns makover 2 prominant NBA role players (not named Payton or Malone) sign with Phoenix for the min. stating their desire to play for the newly rebuilt powerhouse. They also express their desire to play for such a quality franchise.

Shaq and Amare would rival Duncan and Admiral of a few years ago. San Antonio won their first title with these two and a bunch of nothing. JJ is argueably more talented than anyone the Spurs had. JJ is big and could be great at getting the ball to Shaq and Amare down low.

The chances of that happening would be about as good as me winning the lottery right before getting on a plane that crashes into the WHite House.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The chances of that happening would be about as good as me winning the lottery right before getting on a plane that crashes into the WHite House.

Its my fantasy and I'm sticking to it.

scotsman13

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Most of your scenerio is "familiar" to people on this board except for the idea of getting Bowen as a replacement for Marion. His announcement that he is using his player option makes him a possible replacement for Marion if the Suns did do one of infinite number of "trade Marion" proposals that we see.

This is not an exceptional FA market for small forwards (Kobe is a guard). Bowen might actually be the best available. I haven't really considered the impact but I could see scenerios where he would be a good pickup.

personally i dont think that bowen is anything close to being a replacement for marion. on offense but to give up 6 rebounds a game for a team that wasnt rebound well in the first place doesnt make sense to me. plus i am giving away assist and steals. on top of over 12 points per game. i dont care how good his defense is it isnt 12 point per game better.

personally to move marion would be a big mistake. i believe that this team should let the core of jj, amare, and marion grow together for a time.

where the suns bring in kobe or tmac it still wont address their main problem which is the center postion.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
personally i dont think that bowen is anything close to being a replacement for marion. on offense but to give up 6 rebounds a game for a team that wasnt rebound well in the first place doesnt make sense to me. plus i am giving away assist and steals. on top of over 12 points per game. i dont care how good his defense is it isnt 12 point per game better.

personally to move marion would be a big mistake. i believe that this team should let the core of jj, amare, and marion grow together for a time.

where the suns bring in kobe or tmac it still wont address their main problem which is the center postion.

The context was in a move of Marion for T-Mac. Although T-Mac or JJ could be the SF, Bowen would be a possible alternative. I am not saying that I see Bowen contributing as much as Marion does, no matter what Joe says. :wave:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
The context was in a move of Marion for T-Mac. Although T-Mac or JJ could be the SF, Bowen would be a possible alternative. I am not saying that I see Bowen contributing as much as Marion does, no matter what Joe says. :wave:

there's no question that Bowen is a better defender, but I would much, much rather have Shawn Marion. I don't think there's a team out there that is going to give Bruce Bowen $5-6 million per season. If that's what it would take to get him than I don't want him.

Joe Mama

Oh yeah, welcome to the board!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort