Linksys routers and torrents

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anybody had any problems with Linksys router dropping connection while downloading torrents?

Just got a call from a friend, and eversince she started downloading torrents, her Linksys has to be power-cycled at least twice a day.

Nothing else changed- same modem, same router, same firewall/anti-virus software. I had her hard reset modem and router. Short of bridging the modem and making sure that those 6881-6889 ports are opened on the router, I can't think of anything else.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah yeah, we all know you "punched the linksys," lol:D

I've been happy with linksys so far. Both my modem and router have been working great for the past couple of years. The trick is not to buy Linksys from wallmart as they get refurbished routers. Get one directly from Linksys or Best Buy/ Circuit City and it will be fine. (Avoid Staples also.)

But anyway, I could use some help with this.

Boomer

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I too am having a problem with Linksys.

I'm not able to sign on to the internet with my laptop. I can with my desktop PC, but not with my laptop. Even though my laptop reads that my router is there. Both computers were fine the first two days, and then after that, the only computer that was able to connect to the internet was the home PC.

Any ideas?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anybody had any problems with Linksys router dropping connection while downloading torrents?

Just got a call from a friend, and eversince she started downloading torrents, her Linksys has to be power-cycled at least twice a day.

Nothing else changed- same modem, same router, same firewall/anti-virus software. I had her hard reset modem and router. Short of bridging the modem and making sure that those 6881-6889 ports are opened on the router, I can't think of anything else.

Any ideas?

Are we sure that it is the linksys dropping the connection, and not your cable/dsl modem?

I'm not able to sign on to the internet with my laptop. I can with my desktop PC, but not with my laptop. Even though my laptop reads that my router is there. Both computers were fine the first two days, and then after that, the only computer that was able to connect to the internet was the home PC.

Any ideas?

So your laptop can't even see the connection? Do you connect wirelessly at work? Does it use the same type of wireless connection that you use at home? You may have to go into the Wireless settings on the laptop and setup another "connection" if you will, one for home and one for work.

Do you both have the latest linksys firmware installed?

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Any ideas?

1. Try a simple power-cycle.
2. Re-connect (view available connections, connect)
3. Run a wireless setup wizard.

If those three things don't work, go to command prompt, type "ipconfig", verify you're getting an IP from Linksys. (should be something like 192.168.1.100 or 101)
Then see how far you can ping out (ping 192.168.1.1)
ping google or yahoo by IP add. (ping 72.14.253.147, or ping 69.147.114.210)
Then ping by dns (ping www.google.com or ping www.yahoo.com)

How to proceed from there will depend on the results.

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Are we sure that it is the linksys dropping the connection, and not your cable/dsl modem?

Well... it's possible, but she says that her modem stays in sync (DSL light stays solid)
I suppose I could have her bridge the modem and eliminate it as a possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson