Leroy Kelly! On NFLN throwback

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
thats the way I remember football - thank you NFLN for the 1970 jets vs Brown game!
He made the Hall of game but doesn’t get recognized for all he did taking over for Jim Brown. multiple punt return champion, multiple rushing champion- tough as 10 Mfers, could stop on a dime and make change. I love the play calling and Namath, still think it works the best to this day, but when I watch this, Im a get down and Waller in the mud naked pro football fan! I watched every game at 6 years old!
More may know Leroy’s son David, broadcaster for UofA

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Before the Franco Harris', Walter Payton's, Barry Sanders' and E. Smith's there were these workhorse backs that didn't get too much credit. Kelly was one of the best. Some of his contemporaries All averaging 4 ypc or more against 7 man fronts were Gayle Sayers ('69 rushing leader), Larry Brown (Wash. '70 rushing leader), Calvin Hill (Dal.), Hewert Dixon (Oak.), Walt Garrison (Dal.), Tom Matte ( Balt.), Ron Johnson (NYG), Macarther Lane (St. Lou.), Floyd Little (Den.), Larry Czonka (Mia.), Donnie Anderson ( GB), Ed Podolack (KC).
A great rushing era often overlooked.These were some BA rushers playing against many of the greatest BA MLB's and some great overall 4 man fronts.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Howard Cossel openIng interview with Joe Namath who was hurt again, Joe Wille you've only had 6 quarters of preseason football, how do feel that will hurt you and the jets?

That’s why they are playing great the first game of the season
After winning the super bowl.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I started following the Cardinals in 1964, so I remember how good Kelly was. The Cardinals had some pretty good teams in the 60’s, but could never surpass the Browns in our division. That was mainly because of Leroy Kelly. I think he was never given enough credit because he followed in the footsteps of Jim Brown. Those were awfully big shoes to fill. Kelly was a great, great player!!

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Sadly he is forgotten in this day and age. Really wished that he and other players like him could be remembered more and more.