Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Comic Standing Open Calls!
Source: NBC
February 1, 2006

NBC's Emmy-nominated series Last Comic Standing will again search the country for the funniest people in America for a new edition slated to air this summer. Talent scouts Bob Read and Ross Mark will return to the show to find the best comic in America, with open calls starting February 21 in Los Angeles and continuing in Tempe, Austin, Chicago, New York and Miami.

Through a special online component, aspiring and professional comedians can also submit an audition tape to NBC.com, where online voters will choose one comedian to join those found on the nationwide search.

Read and Mark, who serve as talent executives for NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, will determine the best comedians from the regional searches beginning February 21 in Los Angeles and concluding March 12 in Miami.

The following is the schedule for casting calls, which begin in each city at 10:00 a.m.:

February 21 – Los Angeles, CA – Hollywood Improv (8162 Melrose Ave., LA 90046)

February 27 – Tempe, AZ – Tempe Improv (930 University Dr., Tempe 85281)

March 2 – Austin, TX – Capital City Comedy Club (8120 Research Blvd., Austin 78758)

March 5 – Chicago, IL – Zanies (1548 N. Wells St., Chicago 60610)

March 7 – New York, NY – Caroline's (1626 Broadway, New York 10009)

March 12 – Miami, FL – Miami Improv (3390 Mary #182, Coconut Grove 33133)

Last Comic Standing is produced by Peter Engel Productions, The Magical Elves and NBC Universal Television Studio. Peter Engel (Saved By the Bell, City Guys), who was executive producer on the first three editions of Last Comic Standing, returns as executive producer, along with Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz of Magical Elves (Bravo's Project Runway and NBC's Treasure Hunters), who were executive producers on seasons two and three.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
America will choose the "Last Comic Standing" when NBC's Emmy-nominated series kicks off a new season of laughs and surprises searching for the funniest comics in America. Anthony Clark ("Yes, Dear") hosts the lively laughfest, in which male and female comics engage in a fiercely funny and fast-paced competition to secure the coveted title of "Last Comic Standing."

The series kicks off with talent scouts Bob Read and Ross Mark, talent executives for "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," traveling across the country in a nationwide search for the best professional and aspiring comedians.

Then the two "semi-final" episodes begin, with special appearances by celebrity judges Kathy Griffin (Bravo's "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List," NBC's "Suddenly Susan"), Garry Marshall ("Chicken Little," "The Princess Diaries I & II") and Tim Meadows ("The Benchwarmers," NBC's "Saturday Night Live"). A surprise twist during the final round shakes up the competition, ultimately affecting which comics are chosen to move into the "house." Only this time, the "house" is actually the Queen Mary - the famous luxury ocean liner docked in Long Beach, California that will be home to the comedians during the competition.

Outrageous contests, surprise guests and unexpected twists and turns make the competition on the ship even livelier as more contestants are eliminated and only the funniest finalists are left. Then America gets to choose the winner - voting by phone and online - and the "Last Comic Standing" gets an exclusive talent contract with NBC and their own comedy special on Bravo.

"Last Comic Standing" is produced by Peter Engel Productions, Magical Elves and NBC Universal Television Studio. The executive producers are Peter Engel ("Saved By the Bell," "City Guys"), Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz (Bravo's "Project Runway" and NBC's "Treasure Hunters") and Barry Katz ("Action," "Dane Cook's Tourgasm").

--------------------------------------

Hope he can be as funny a host as Mohr was.

:jedi:

Mohr was big in getting the show started, but was obviously unhappy with how rushed things became:

Original "Last Comic" host Mohr publicly lashed out at NBC for rushing "Last Comic 3" onto its fall schedule in 2004. The all-star edition drew dismal ratings and NBC pulled it a week before the finale, which eventually aired on Comedy Central.

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might DVR this show and check it out for a few eps.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When does it come on, or did I miss it? If I hadn't been so preoccupied with doing my thing here in Philly (stupid me!) I'd be on this damn show, if I had my way! :mad:

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Real hard to tell with the quick glances that they provided into each talent but as long as they don't replay the same acts over and over I see this season being pretty enjoyable.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh - it was ok.....

CP Guy was funny, but freaky to watch.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Eh - it was ok.....

CP Guy was funny, but freaky to watch.

yes, and seemed like a genuine guy too... (from what one can tell in a total of avout 4 minutes of time) :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Theo from Road Rules really advance? I remember the guy on the show and he wasn't particularly funny. I would hope they don't advance him just because he's been on MTV several times.

A bunch of those guys last night I've seen on tv before, but there was quite a bit of talent there.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Did Theo from Road Rules really advance? I remember the guy on the show and he wasn't particularly funny. I would hope they don't advance him just because he's been on MTV several times.

A bunch of those guys last night I've seen on tv before, but there was quite a bit of talent there.

I'm an MTV Honk. It's the only thing I watch besides sports. But, no, Theo is never funny. And yes, they probably will advance him because of his MTV status. Just like Mike the Mizz. The guy is horrible....but WWE keeps giving him chances.

MTV Celebs--we are laughing at you, not with you.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ehhh, some of those guys were pretty good. It was real hard to get a gague with them only doing like 2 or 3 jokes. I'll still be checking it out. Mad that I'm not on it!

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
phillycard said:
Mad that I'm not on it!

Wish you were, I would have ten times the urge to watch it...
"Hey!!!! That dude is from ASFN!!!"

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
phillycard said:
ehhh, some of those guys were pretty good. It was real hard to get a gague with them only doing like 2 or 3 jokes. I'll still be checking it out. Mad that I'm not on it!

How is the comedy thing going?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
O said:
How is the comedy thing going?

I'ts moving O. I'm just happy to be getting chances to do shows here in Philly. I have a show tonight that could move into a host gig. I'll tell you, right now it's just about paying dues. It's nice to get a lil $$ for doing comedy, but at this stage I'm just trying to get my name up. This sometimes translates to doing a show for a six pack. ;)

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
phillycard said:
I'ts moving O. I'm just happy to be getting chances to do shows here in Philly. I have a show tonight that could move into a host gig. I'll tell you, right now it's just about paying dues. It's nice to get a lil $$ for doing comedy, but at this stage I'm just trying to get my name up. This sometimes translates to doing a show for a six pack. ;)

It's all about paying dues. Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Good luck with it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was kind of disappointed last night. the bald guy didn't advance, IIRC he's the one who won the comedy competition on the last rendition of Star Search, i thought he was pretty good. I really DISLIKE Roz, I just don't find her funny at all, but she advanced from the first 20. I guess next week 20 more with 5 advancing.

I also really liked the woman who made fun of her dad over and over(Kathy Griffin really liked her) and was quite surprised she didn't advance. I also thought the guy who joked about being in Jail was funnier than a couple that they picked.

but I guess they don't show the full 3 minute set and it's possible the 5 they picked were better overall. I think Joey Gay looks like a complete nutjob, but he's very funny so far.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I really DISLIKE Roz, I just don't find her funny at all, but she advanced from the first 20.

I agree wholeheartedly.
I was pretty surprised she advanced... Her act was old and played, I have heard very similar acts many, many times before and her delivery is just loud and obnoxious... My opinion of course... She is not horrendous but there were many others that should have made it through that did not...

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Guys, how bout this little tidbit? I did a show Saturday night with a very established comedian who performs on both coasts. He told me that the judges knew most of these guys, and have seen them perform many times. A few were even managed and booked for shows by them. The worst thing is that NBC has final say on who advances. They want to pick the most volatile mix to keep viewers intrigued. That kind of sapped my enthusiasm for the show. :|

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort