Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet is one of the worst defensive players in the league which is why he’s always been a net negative. He became unplayable in the playoffs because he couldn’t defend and was benched vs Milwaukee in game 7. Dude is straight cheeks but hopefully he can get hot in limited minutes. If he’s playing with Payne we are going to have major issues.

Look at the minutes their starters played, it was a huge elimination game and they road their starters for 50+ minutes. Harden and Durant played all 53 minutes, Bruce Brown played 52, and Joe Harris played 47 minutes. Shamet still saw spot minutes though spelling Harris for 7 minutes.

You are cherry picking and using a ridiculous example to justify your view.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shamet is one of the worst defensive players in the league which is why he’s always been a net negative. He became unplayable in the playoffs because he couldn’t defend and was benched vs Milwaukee in game 7. Dude is straight cheeks but hopefully he can get hot in limited minutes. If he’s playing with Payne we are going to have major issues.
Nah. I have watched Shamet a lot. Not sure where you are getting your opinion.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Look at the minutes their starters played, it was a huge elimination game and they road their starters for 50+ minutes. Harden and Durant played all 53 minutes, Bruce Brown played 52, and Joe Harris played 47 minutes. Shamet still saw spot minutes though spelling Harris for 7 minutes.

You are cherry picking and using a ridiculous example to justify your view.

You just called me ridiculous then said his minutes were cut because the game was too important. Bravo.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just called me ridiculous then said his minutes were cut because the game was too important. Bravo.
They used him almost 20 minutes on average through the playoffs. In tight games he is not the only coach to shorten the bench. It's an exaggeration to say he sat on the bench and they didn't use him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really? He was their #3 guard who we brought in to be our #3 or #4 guard. Somehow you interpret that as he sucks though.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Who did you think we were getting?? Kobe Bryant?

Yes clearly. Also clear is you getting sensitive because someone question a trade you liked. It’s okay when somebody has a different opinion.

At the time it didn’t seem too bad but knowing we traded Carter (who is cheap for a 9-10th guy) and the #29 pick for a rental 9/10 guy who’s main skill is something we didn’t need feels like a waste. But I get why they did it. It saves about $5m beyond this year when we get into L-Tax mode. So if the cleared space helps retain our own guys then you take it and hope he improves his 3pt shooting beyond an above-average level.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes clearly. Also clear is you getting sensitive because someone question a trade you liked. It’s okay when somebody has a different opinion.

At the time it didn’t seem too bad but knowing we traded Carter (who is cheap for a 9-10th guy) and the #29 pick for a rental 9/10 guy who’s main skill is something we didn’t need feels like a waste. But I get why they did it. It saves about $5m beyond this year when we get into L-Tax mode. So if the cleared space helps retain our own guys then you take it and hope he improves his 3pt shooting beyond an above-average level.

A team with championship aspirations should never be making a move motivated merely by saving $5 million.

Remember Joe Johnson...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An 9/10th guy for one year sounds like someone you sign for the BAE or minimum.

He was their 7th man and we got him for our 14th man and a late 1st round pick that was probably a 12th man, at best, this coming season.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A team with championship aspirations should never be making a move motivated merely by saving $5 million.

Remember Joe Johnson...

This team didn’t have major depth issues though. Letting talent go from those years when we were playing 7 guys in the playoffs was a killer, especially selling cheap picks that may or may not have given us any valuable minutes. For a one year rental this seemed unnecessary.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It may be a rental and it may not. He'll be a restricted free agent next offseason with a $5 million dollar qualifying offer. We may choose to resign him for similar money that Carter got, $3.5 million a year or so. It's too early to say it's a rental.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He was their 7th man and we got him for our 14th man and a late 1st round pick that was probably a 12th man, at best, this coming season.

Given their injuries Jevon Carter would’ve been in their rotation. I mean hell even Mike James was playing vs Milwaukee. Third rotation was inconsistent all year with trades/injuries.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It may be a rental and it may not. He'll be a restricted free agent next offseason with a $5 million dollar qualifying offer. We may choose to resign him for similar money that Carter got, $3.5 million a year or so. It's too early to say it's a rental.
Restricted free agents are always nice trade pieces too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trade for Landry Shamet is official.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna miss Jevon. But welcome to the Suns Landry.

Taking nothing away from Landry Shamet, I believe the trade was made as much to save paying Carter's third year contract as it was to acquire Shamet.

I wish Jevon Carter well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking nothing away from Landry Shamet, I believe the trade was made as much to save paying Carter's third year contract as it was to acquire Shamet.

I wish Jevon Carter well.

I don't think so. I think the salary we're discussing is so low that it didn't really matter much. Carter's salary wasn't much higher than the vet minimum for veterans with 10+ years experience. So the savings were small.

If not obvious, take the rest with a grain of salt....

I'm actually a little perturbed you brought that up initially because it gave 1Sun another narrative to beat into the ground. He didn't suggest it until you brought it up.

So shame, Mainstreet, shame! I should bill you for the extra aspirin I had to take because of that.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think the salary we're discussing is so low that it didn't really matter much. Carter's salary wasn't much higher than the vet minimum for veterans with 10+ years experience. So the savings was small.

If not obvious, take the rest with a grain if salt....

I'm actually a little perturbed you brought that up initially because it gave 1Sun another narrative to beat into the ground. He didn't suggest it until you brought it up.

So shame, Mainstreet, shame! I should bill you for the extra aspirin I had to take because of that.

Carter's salary for 2022-23 is $3,925,000 million guaranteed and Shamet is $5,562,072 as a RFA. Only about a million plus difference and the Suns don't have to match Shamet's salary.

The point being, the Suns can save money by not bringing Shamet back... not that they won't. Also the Suns don't have to pay the 29th pick.

I hope you enjoyed the discussion with said poster becuse I quit responding awhile back.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't even consider those 2 deals similarly, I despise Grayson Allen. I see the Javon trade as a talent upgrade for next year and little else.

The trades can be viewed from a potential saving aspect as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trades can be viewed from a potential saving aspect as well.

Perhaps, if you want to cherry pick but I don't see it that way and even the suggestion doesn't hold much water, IMO.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Carter's salary for 2022-23 is $3,925,000 million guaranteed and Shamet is $5,562,072 as a RFA. Only about a million plus difference and the Suns don't have to match Shamet's salary.

The point being, the Suns can save money by not bringing Shamet back... not that they won't. Also the Suns don't have to pay the 29th pick.

I hope you enjoyed the discussion with said poster becuse I quit responding awhile back.

Carter plus the 29th pick is only around ~5 mil beyond next year but in Luxury tax terms you can double that amount. I think it was a clever trade to avoid some finically issues while avoiding criticism but we’ll see next summer. This time next year we could be without Shamet, Carter and down a first and nothing to show for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr