Lakers may sign D'Angelo Russell

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Which means that such PG will be ready to be a viable NBA starting point guard in 2023 or 2024, just in time for Booker's contract to be up for renewal. Something tells me Booker won't wait around that long for this team to be respectable again...
Why you always say this baffles me, it doesn't take 3-4 before they become a viable starter, Young Luka and arguably Alexander are all capable of starting , rookies or second year pgs are ready to start all the time just because they may still be developing doesn't mean they can't play immediately and be effective

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why you always say this baffles me, it doesn't take 3-4 before they become a viable starter, Young Luka and arguably Alexander are all capable of starting , rookies or second year pgs are ready to start all the time just because they may still be developing doesn't mean they can't play immediately and be effective

As flashy as he was, Luka led the Mavericks absolutely nowhere. And the Clippers likewise go nowhere last year without Pat Beverley playing major minutes at the point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As flashy as he was, Luka led the Mavericks absolutely nowhere. And the Clippers likewise go nowhere last year without Pat Beverley playing major minutes at the point.

You would expect one player to actually lead a team anywhere other than somewhere near the bottom? This is a team sport, it's very rare even for a superstar to truly be able to carry a team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You would expect one player to actually lead a team anywhere other than somewhere near the bottom? This is a team sport, it's very rare even for a superstar to truly be able to carry a team.

I'm saying that the point guard is going to have to be good enough to change the culture and make others around him better (something neither Luka nor SGA did), since our only "stars" for the foreseeable future will be Booker and Ayton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that the point guard is going to have to be good enough to change the culture and make others around him better (something neither Luka nor SGA did), since our only "stars" for the foreseeable future will be Booker and Ayton.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I don't know how that could be anything but gobbledygook.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nobody wants to hear this, but I think our best shot at a PG is the draft next year. 4 of the top 10 in the class are PG's.

And if the Suns can't land one, it should make some point guards available.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sign Derrick Rose. He’s got the experience we need and actually looked good last year. He should be cheap and can be a serviceable stop gap if we can’t land Russell.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only because he was a severely flawed one dimensional player.

If TJ Warren is so great, why did hardly anyone want him, and it took the 32nd pick to move his modest contract. Answer - he is a flawed player and everyone knows it.

The answer is the Suns are poorly run and players like Warren, Bledsoe and Dragic don’t want to play for them.

At least McD got picks in his trades.

Warren would’ve played 10+ minutes for the Warriors or Raptors. He’s better than Mckinnie/Jerebko/Cook and Norman Powell. He would’ve played 20+ Minutes for the Rockets.

Why were the Suns so desperate to create cap space?

I would be shocked if they use it wisely. Who is this years Turkoglu/warrick/Childress?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I don't know how that could be anything but gobbledygook.
He is totally negative on every aspect it's the same on the d backs board. Granted it's a forum and he most certainly is entitled to his opinion. With that said I agree it doesnt take long to see what you got in a PG. If it's taking 4 years to develop you made the wrong pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The answer is the Suns are poorly run and players like Warren, Bledsoe and Dragic don’t want to play for them.

Warren would’ve played 10+ minutes for the Warriors or Raptors. He’s better than Mckinnie/Jerebko/Cook and Norman Powell. He would’ve played 20+ Minutes for the Rockets.

I would be shocked if they use it wisely. Who is this years Turkoglu/warrick/Childress?

We already have 2/3 of that in Saric/Baynes...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bledsoe wanted to play for them until he found out he couldn't get a long term contract 2 years before he was due. Warren wanted to play here until he found out we wanted to play him off the bench. Dragic wanted to play here badly enough that he returned after sabotaging us in his earlier run in Phoenix. And I'm quite sure he'd have loved to stay here if we'd let him continue as the starting point guard.

As for being poorly run, the mess we've been in says you're right. But hopefully that's in the past. I can't say it is though, only time will tell.

McD got picks in his trades because that's what he wanted, picks. But picks don't play and even when you cash them in, many of them fail and some that succeed take years to get there. Our current front office felt we had plenty of the kids that were still in their development phase and chose to pursue players instead of prospects.

Warren was apparently insulted when he was asked to come off the bench and eventually quit on this team. He had a minor injury and though cleared to play he declined to do so. Keeping an unhappy player that had a history of long absences for apparently no good reason is poor management. I was a little disappointed as I think we gave away value in the Warren deal but obviously they felt they had to get rid of him.

I don't know that we were all that desperate to create cap space, more like we were desperate to remove Warren from our roster and the market for TJ just wasn't there. I'm sure we wanted the cap space too but moving TJ was the big deal and it opened up enough room so that we might be able to add an unexciting veteran or two.

We haven't brought in a Turkoglu/Warrick/Childress player since the disaster that put us deep in talent hell many years ago. I guess you could put Ariza in that group but that's debatable. And it's worth noting that signing Trevor was one of the very few recent moves we made that was universally applauded. It blew up in our face for various reasons (outdated facilities/team chef being part of it) but on paper it looked like a great move even though it was an overpay (similar to the Tyson Chandler deal).

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler and Dudley fall into that category, in my opinion.
What? Seriously? All 3 of the previous players were brought in to be our new "core" after Nash left. Dudley definitely was not that, and Chandler wasn't as completely useless as you like to keep saying he was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns were not so desperate to create cap space as they were to add players that can play for the team next season.

As of now the Suns still have a nucleus of Booker, Ayton, Bridges and Oubre. That's a nice core.

Where I think some of the expectations were misguided is the premise the Suns were creating the cap space primarily to sign a point guard. I think they will but it may not be a spectacular signing like fans want.

The Suns needed a starting power forward so they traded for Saric and added a small forward that can shoot in Cam Johnson.

They needed another point guard so they traded for Ty Jerome and added a backup center in Baynes.

The Suns are going to use Warren's salary except it is spread out over a number of players.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns were not so desperate to create cap space as they were to add players that can play for the team next season.

As of now the Suns still have a nucleus of Booker, Ayton, Bridges and Oubre. That's a nice core.

Where I think some of the expectations were misguided is the premise the Suns were creating the cap space primarily to sign a point guard. I think they will but it may not be a spectacular signing like fans want.

The Suns needed a starting power forward so they traded for Saric and added a small forward that can shoot in Cam Johnson.

They needed another point guard so they traded for Ty Jerome and added a backup center in Baynes.

The Suns are going to use Warren's salary except it is spread out over a number of players.

Saric and Baynes are actually NBA players too.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

So instead of one good player, we get three scrubs. Money well spent.:sarcasm:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric and Baynes are actually NBA players too.

Deep bench (like 9th, 10th or 11th men) players...while we still have two gaping holes (and likely three, if Oubre is let go) in the starting line-up.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The Suns aren’t a desirable destination. Who would want to play for Sarver with no chance of winning? At least the Knicks have a large market for self-promotion

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my last post towards you, but Saric is much better than a 9th man. Amazing how out of touch you are.

One word answer, do you really believe he's simply out of touch? And I agree with everything else in your post.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
One word answer, do you really believe he's simply out of touch? And I agree with everything else in your post.
What else could it be? He writes in complete sentences so he’s obviously intelligent, but it’s just unbelievable how he appears to not even attempt to understand what people are writing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What else could it be? He writes in complete sentences so he’s obviously intelligent, but it’s just unbelievable how he appears to not even attempt to understand what people are writing.

Saric is so obviously a capable NBA starter.

When you are discussing the Suns with someone who cant grasp that or won't grasp that, then it's hard to have a compelling conversation.

I dont have a problem adding Saric, Johnson, Jerome, and Baynes and I think the Suns are better now...my issue is that PG will make so many other players better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bickley and Marotta just discussed Russell, the reports that Booker is lobbying internally for the Suns to sign him, and the new rumors that the Minnesota Timberwolves are now planning to make a major push for Russell. They ended the conversation by saying that if Russell becomes available, and if the Suns leave Russell to be signed by the Lakers or Timberwolves, that will be the last straw for Booker, and Booker will want out immediately. Ugh...

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Bickley and Marotta just discussed Russell, the reports that Booker is lobbying internally for the Suns to sign him, and the new rumors that the Minnesota Timberwolves are now planning to make a major push for Russell. They ended the conversation by saying that if Russell becomes available, and if the Suns leave Russell to be signed by the Lakers or Timberwolves, that will be the last straw for Booker, and Booker will want out immediately. Ugh...
When Booker himself actually says he wants out I'll believe it, not getting Russell could definitely push him to it but every sports writer or analyst has been claiming Booker should demand a trade immediately, but he hasn't and has said nothing to make people think he's going to, :deadhorse2: