LA Lakers @ Phoenix Suns 1-19-2015

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last night is not representative of the entire season and I am sick and tired of people singling out Bledsoe for every mistake when overall he has done a very good job.

Just like a few games ago when someone complained on Bledsoe's first turnover by saying "how many turnovers is that already for Bledsoe?"

It is absolutely annoying, there is obviously strong bias against Bledsoe and pro Dragic here, regardless of how they actually play.

Bledsoe 5.9 apg 3.3topg ~ 1.8 assists per turnover
Dragic 4.1apg 2.1topg ~ 1.9 assists per turnover

A month ago Bledsoe was ahead on this, not to mention Bledsoe is much more aggressive attacking the basket averaging 5.2 FTA per game compared to Dragic (2.6) which obviously makes it more likely to turn it over than taking a jumpshot.

Yet we hear consistent criticising of Bledsoe but not Dragic. Bledsoe has among the best 4th quarter stats and clutch FG% along with Markieff Morris, while Dragic is nowhere to be found. Yet we only read complains when they miss late but nobody questions when Dragic bricks a crucial shots.

When Bledsoe plays his cards for a new contract he gets hated on. When Dragic openly flirts on every occasion with exploring all opportunities (something Bledsoe never actually did, he never visited another team or even flirted with them) and his upcoming free agency, again nobody cares.

I find that there is a strong bias towards whining and complaining in general on this board.

:biglaugh:

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Wright will eventually supplant Len as the starter going forward.

Wright: 24 mins, 2 pts, 2 blocks, 5 rebounds

Len: 19 mins: 6 pts, 3 blocks, 6 rebounds

I don't see that happening. Every minute Len plays is an investment in our future.

But it is great to have Wright on board. He brings a lot to the table.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Last night is not representative of the entire season and I am sick and tired of people singling out Bledsoe for every mistake when overall he has done a very good job.

Just like a few games ago when someone complained on Bledsoe's first turnover by saying "how many turnovers is that already for Bledsoe?"

It is absolutely annoying, there is obviously strong bias against Bledsoe and pro Dragic here, regardless of how they actually play.

Bledsoe 5.9 apg 3.3topg ~ 1.8 assists per turnover
Dragic 4.1apg 2.1topg ~ 1.9 assists per turnover

A month ago Bledsoe was ahead on this, not to mention Bledsoe is much more aggressive attacking the basket averaging 5.2 FTA per game compared to Dragic (2.6) which obviously makes it more likely to turn it over than taking a jumpshot.

Yet we hear consistent criticising of Bledsoe but not Dragic. Bledsoe has among the best 4th quarter stats and clutch FG% along with Markieff Morris, while Dragic is nowhere to be found. Yet we only read complains when they miss late but nobody questions when Dragic bricks a crucial shots.

When Bledsoe plays his cards for a new contract he gets hated on. When Dragic openly flirts on every occasion with exploring all opportunities (something Bledsoe never actually did, he never visited another team or even flirted with them) and his upcoming free agency, again nobody cares.

The reality is that Bledsoe dragged out the contract crap this past offseason after the Suns had offered him what everyone in the game felt to be a totally fair deal. He wanted max money. He views himself as a max player. Hence, I am merely holding him to the standard he himself believes he should be held to.
IMO, thus far this season, while he has shown brilliant flashes here and there, he has not at all played at the level of a max player.
In fact, I have serious questions about how much room is left for him before he reaches his ceiling.
I hope more than anything that he ultimately reaches the performance standard equivalent to his own self-perceptions - and does so in a Suns uniform!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
His contract is far from a MAX contract. Maybe you should compare him to other "max contracts" like Gordon Hayward.

1. Bledsoe's contract is not even going to be close to a max contract when the new TV deal comes in.
2. Bledsoe did not sign the contract based on what he currently is but what his value can be.

Who is your source on what "everyone in the game felt to be totally fair"? If he was not restricted he would have gotten more even.

The fact is that Bledsoe did not visit any other team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
His contract is far from a MAX contract. Maybe you should compare him to other "max contracts" like Gordon Hayward.

1. Bledsoe's contract is not even going to be close to a max contract when the new TV deal comes in.
2. Bledsoe did not sign the contract based on what he currently is but what his value can be.

Who is your source on what "everyone in the game felt to be totally fair"? If he was not restricted he would have gotten more even.

Yep... it's not max. He wanted max money and came pretty darn close to getting it.
As for the comments about him getting more if he weren't restricted... Uh... Ok... Maybe... Maybe not... Conjecture at best.
And frankly, I'm not concerned with how much some other teams might have paid him. I'm just hoping he grows into the guard he believes he is/or is capable of becoming. Right now, there seems to be (at least to me) a wide gap between his performance on the court and the level of play he thinks he can achieve.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... it's not max. He wanted max money and came pretty darn close to getting it.
As for the comments about him getting more if he weren't restricted... Uh... Ok... Maybe... Maybe not... Conjecture at best.
And frankly, I'm not concerned with how much some other teams might have paid him. I'm just hoping he grows into the guard he believes he is/or is capable of becoming. Right now, there seems to be (at least to me) a wide gap between his performance on the court and the level of play he thinks he can achieve.

There's a gap, I don't think it's anywhere near as huge as your occasional game thread comments make it seem to be. If he were shooting at the level he was last year, I'd be thrilled with his performance. It's never going to be perfect and making 14 million a year isn't going to change that.

Steve

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

And... as far as I can tell, there are only 5 other players in the entire NBA who have been guaranteed more money than Bledsoe's $70 million. They are:

Bosh: $118 million
Anthony: $96 million
Griffin: $78 million
Wall: $78 million
George: $71 million

I think it's quite debatable that Bledsoe - presently, belongs on that list...

EDIT: Missed Irving at $72 million guaranteed...

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
There's a gap, I don't think it's anywhere near as huge as your occasional game thread comments make it seem to be. If he were shooting at the level he was last year, I'd be thrilled with his performance. It's never going to be perfect and making 14 million a year isn't going to change that.

Steve

I agree... and, I'll admit to being overly critical of him. Candidly, I thought it was ridiculous that a guy who had never played a full season in the NBA would hold out for max money. I'm of the belief that you should prove your worth and then make your demands. I haven't totally let that go and his play only magnifies my angst.
I'll let it go... eventually... I hope... ;)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't see that happening. Every minute Len plays is an investment in our future.

But it is great to have Wright on board. He brings a lot to the table.

Yea I certainly don't want that to happen but seems odd that Wright got more playing time than Len.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bosh: $118 million
Anthony: $96 million
Griffin: $78 million
Wall: $78 million
George: $71 million

I think it's quite debatable that Bledsoe - presently, belongs on that list...

EDIT: Missed Irving at $72 million guaranteed...

That list is worthless, the only thing that matters is money per year and in that regard Bledsoe is not even in the top 30 in the NBA.

Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, David Lee, Dwayne Wade, Josh Smith, Roy Hibbert, Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, Eric Gordon, Derrick Rose, Rudy Gay all make more money than Bledsoe per year.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yea I certainly don't want that to happen but seems odd that Wright got more playing time than Len.

Hornacek was on the radio this morning and said they limited his minutes because of some soreness issues with his foot and a touch of tendinitis.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hornacek was on the radio this morning and said they limited his minutes because of some soreness issues with his foot and a touch of tendinitis.

So it was stupid coaching just like we thought?

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Damn sure hope foot stuff aren't coming up again for Len.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Damn sure hope foot stuff aren't coming up again for Len.

Hornacek said its typical to get this type of soreness after having the surgery Len had, and then playing the minutes he's been playing. He said if it were up to Len, he would never come out and that it's the coaches and trainers who are now trying to give him rest...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hornacek said its typical to get this type of soreness after having the surgery Len had, and then playing the minutes he's been playing. He said if it were up to Len, he would never come out and that it's the coaches and trainers who are now trying to give him rest...

I'm totally okay with that. Len, more then any other player on the team, is the future.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm totally okay with that. Len, more then any other player on the team, is the future.
I am hoping for that. But it is hardly a given that his health will allow him to grow into 36 minutes per game from start to finish.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for that. But it is hardly a given that his health will allow him to grow into 36 minutes per game from start to finish.

Unfortunately that's true although we don't really need 36 minutes from him. In today's game, that's a lot of minutes for a true big man. I'll be happy if he can consistently give us 30 minutes a game but his health might put that to the test too.

Steve

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len saying that he'd rather stay on the court the whole game and it's the coach and trainers looking out for his health and limiting his minutes is a good sign of his character, work ethic, and ceiling. With how he's playing this season it finally makes sense why there was talk of him going #1 overall in 2013. His health is a concern but he seems to be the type of player who strives to work through injuries and come back improved rather than other players who milk it and never reach their potential or return to previous form. We have one of the most highly regarded training staffs in the league, I don't worry too much about long term problems with him. I'm less concerned with his ankles and feet than Amare's knee trouble. Other than Yao I can't think of anyone else who has their career cut short or ended due to similar issues, sure Bill Walton never quite returned to form but that was in the late 70's and he changed his game to still be an effective player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

well, then I guess the Suns master plan to never have a legit C has worked out like gang-busters again!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Len saying that he'd rather stay on the court the whole game and it's the coach and trainers looking out for his health and limiting his minutes is a good sign of his character, work ethic, and ceiling. With how he's playing this season it finally makes sense why there was talk of him going #1 overall in 2013. His health is a concern but he seems to be the type of player who strives to work through injuries and come back improved rather than other players who milk it and never reach their potential or return to previous form. We have one of the most highly regarded training staffs in the league, I don't worry too much about long term problems with him. I'm less concerned with his ankles and feet than Amare's knee trouble. Other than Yao I can't think of anyone else who has their career cut short or ended due to similar issues, sure Bill Walton never quite returned to form but that was in the late 70's and he changed his game to still be an effective player.

I don't remember the specifics but Rik Smits and the big Washington center come to mind.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's true although we don't really need 36 minutes from him. In today's game, that's a lot of minutes for a true big man. I'll be happy if he can consistently give us 30 minutes a game but his health might put that to the test too.

Steve

I'm in agreement. Anthony Davis averaged 35 plus minutes played last season and so far this season. IMO, I think this is entirely too many minutes for a big man to play consistently. Maybe some of the bigger players can do it (also like Durant) but I think it increases the chance for injury over a long NBA schedule.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't remember the specifics but Rik Smits and the big Washington center come to mind.

Steve

Smits played 12 years and 867 out of 984 games averaging 26 mpg. He retired in 2000 and he was a solid center but not great compared to the big men during that time like Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, and more that I'm forgetting. By the time he retired he was 33 and the game was starting to change to more of the Iverson, Carter, Kobe, McGrady perimeter ISO style. The Washington center I think you're referring to is Gheorghe Muresan who was 7'7" and didn't have much in terms of basketball skills or IQ. If Len has a career like Smit's he'll go down as the best Suns center ever and could be a solid piece to a contender. I don't think he'll ever be the #1 player on a title team but he could be the #2 or #3. With advances in medicine and the way he plays if he can be productive and relatively healthy for 12 years I think he'll have a far better career than Smit's had.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smits played 12 years and 867 out of 984 games averaging 26 mpg. He retired in 2000 and he was a solid center but not great compared to the big men during that time like Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, and more that I'm forgetting. By the time he retired he was 33 and the game was starting to change to more of the Iverson, Carter, Kobe, McGrady perimeter ISO style. The Washington center I think you're referring to is Gheorghe Muresan who was 7'7" and didn't have much in terms of basketball skills or IQ. If Len has a career like Smit's he'll go down as the best Suns center ever and could be a solid piece to a contender. I don't think he'll ever be the #1 player on a title team but he could be the #2 or #3. With advances in medicine and the way he plays if he can be productive and relatively healthy for 12 years I think he'll have a far better career than Smit's had.

Yes, Muresan is who I meant. As for Smits, I know I heard about his foot problem early in his career and then off and on throughout it so I'll admit I'm surprised that he was able to log that many minutes. And you're right, if Len only equals that he'll still be our best true center ever. Well, if you want to push AA to the side anyway. I can't say I watched much of Smits as most of his career was pre-league pass but I was never too impressed by him. I thought he was decent but I never understood his all star attention. Again though, my opinion was based on very little information. Regardless, I have far higher hopes for Alex if we can keep him on the floor.

Steve