Kyler Murray has been working out since Jan

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last week: Kyler shouldn't be streaming, he isn't taking his career seriously, why isn't he working on his craft?
This week: So what if he works out, doesn't mean anything, I'm more worried about the mental aspect of his game.

Some of ya'll are a joke. :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be fair he's not wrong. Chuck doesn't deserve a pile on. It's his job as a reporter to question these things.

(The rest of this isn't aimed at you Brian it's a general rant :))

All Chuck did was question why we haven't seen or heard Kyler has been working on his technique and mental aspects of his game. Preferably with a QB coach.

Josh Allen did it last off season and got significantly better. Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Sam Darnold and Joe Burrow have worked with Palmer, and there are other QB's who work with other coaches in the offseason. Kyler is far from flawless despite his talent and isn't above working on his craft with guys that can help his game.

Now Kyler's response was to a whole different question (which is peak Twitter. If you can't argue the point at hand then pretend the point was something else). We know he's been working out. Having his strength coach post workout videos doesn't make me feel better frankly. I already knew and expected that.

The fact that they are posting those videos means he hasn't been training with QB coaches, or that would have been posted. Plus it says he's been in the gym every day. I don't give a crap how much Kyler can bench. What he needs to work on is reading defenses and going through his progressions (as well as some technical issues). That's what I want to see videos of.

It concerns me that he thinks he might be above this. That he's a 1st round pick. He's been coached by his Dad his whole life. That he already has everything he needs. He doesn't.

Now, I know there are some that want to leap to his defense here and say "But OROTY", or "but this stat". Would you rather our QB be honing his craft to get better in areas he's been struggling or not? The answer from everyone is yes, you would. And he isn't. And he definitely isn't because part of the package that comes with working with these coaches is they let everyone know they are for PR purposes.

And Kliff isn't helping him. As discussed in the other thread coaches don't have the time to do much technical coaching with having to install gameplans, game prep etc. They might get OTA's and that's it.
Man this post is based on a lot of assumptions and very little fact.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Such as?

The only assumption is that he hasn't been working with a QB coach but that's based on his own coach saying he's been in the gym in Texas every day since Jan and there being nothing from any QB coach talking about him.

Apart from the obvious coaching Kyler would get the other thing you get from these things is a bunch of hype. Have a look at how many times Jordan Palmer has appeared on TV or in an article talking about how great or talented Josh Allen is.

If it was happening it would be in the media somewhere. Either from Palmer (or the coach himself), one of the other players training with them (there are usually a handful at once) or one of the media guys like Schefter or Rapaport. I don't think there's any world where Kyler has been having super secret off season coaching.

So I'm confident in that reasoning.
Lol. Okay. 100% conjecture.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What have they accomplished that Kevin Murray hasn't? Everything?

How many NFL QB's has Kevin Murray coached? I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea that Kevin Murray is some kind of QB coach that is proficient enough to coach an NFL QB. He has coached precisely nobody to success except his son and Kyler success is mostly due to god given talent.

Kevin Murray has a website that looks like it was knocked together in 1996 and a list of testimonials that ends in 2017, are all high school QB's, not one of which went on to play college ball that I can see. He's a dad, that taught his kid the fundamentals he learned as a mediocre college QB, which was no doubt invaluable to Kyler very early on. He surpassed what his Dad can teach him a long, long time ago.

As for Palmers failures, well you can't polish a turd, but this isn't about Palmer. I don't care who he works with, but he should be working with someone, if not on technique then at least on the metal aspects.

Absence of evidence....

You are literally ranting about the unknown. I bet you are real fun at house parties...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Absence of evidence....

You are literally ranting about the unknown. I bet you are real fun at house parties...
Based on the fact that he’s not talking about house parties and no one is posting pictures of him at house parties he’s not being fun at house parties. For sure. 100% guarantee.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is a critical year for Murray.

I think we'll know this year whether he is capable of becoming a top QB or just becoming the next Matt Stafford tier QB.

I personally won't bet against a 5'10 super athletic, driven kid. I think he makes the leap soon, and I'm excited about his ceiling. His floor has been good enough to be amongst the top three QBs that have ever played for the Cardinals franchise.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Do you think he isn't working on those things? Do you think he is simply lifting weights and nothing more?
My point is that seeing him lifting doesn't move the needle for me and isn't some indicator that he is a hard worker. Outside of what Kyler shows on the field, unless it is reported, we don't really know what type of a worker he is. What I saw last year is that he still has a ways go to as a pocket QB.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I do think thats a risky place to be training. AJ Green's excellent footwork saved him there, lol

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Since its the critical overreaction to Kyler thread.

I will say he needs to clean up/stop that "pat the football" thing he does before throwing. Missed out on a TD vs WFT to Isabella because of it. And likely missed out on the tying TD to Isabella vs. Seahawks as well

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes and no. All year long, Murray still regularly threw off his back foot. He still needs to learn to step into his throws (footwork). This is the primary reason so many of passes between the numbers sailed on him.

Murray is an accurate thrower when he has good mechanics, but his mechanics have been wildly inconsistent.

I expect him to improve alone just from having an improved center who can improve line calls and block interior pressure.
Personally, I agree with you on stepping into your throws. But, the young, mobile QB’s like Murray & Mahomes are not being taught that. They ACTUALLY work on throwing off their back leg. I watched a special recently with Dan Marino. He said he completely agrees with the more modern approach of being able to throw off your back leg. You have to be quite athletic & strong to do it, but he said it’s NOT a negative.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point is that seeing him lifting doesn't move the needle for me and isn't some indicator that he is a hard worker. Outside of what Kyler shows on the field, unless it is reported, we don't really know what type of a worker he is. What I saw last year is that he still has a ways go to as a pocket QB.
This

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This. Actually I would say he was quite a bit better than his rookie year through 14 games, but played very poorly in back to back games to end the season (especially the last game against the Rams).
Yea the last two games left a bad mark. He was on pace for over 40 total tds (possibly 30 passing tds) and 5000 total yards. 99 Passer Rating

Thing is the 49ers/Rams arent going anywhere so he's gotta overcome that issue.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yea the last two games left a bad mark. He was on pace for over 40 total tds (possibly 30 passing tds) and 5000 total yards. 99 Passer Rating

Thing is the 49ers/Rams arent going anywhere so he's gotta overcome that issue.
Teams made adjustments and now it is on Kyler and KK to figure out how to counter those adjustments. This is nothing new or abnormal, but a typical part of a young QB growing.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of course blogger Chuck is now trying to take credit for Murray's throwing video

Not that it was always happening but instead that internet blogger Chuck is the reason pro athletes are working in the off season.

Chuck and Mitch have never had more insight than you. They are monkeys throwing poop on a dartboard and surprised some of it sticks

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. Okay. 100% conjecture.

I mean, I don't want to shock you or anything, but this whole board is opinion based. Unless we have Cardinals employees and insiders here we don't know about.

Now on saying that, there's a difference between conjecture and deductive reasoning.