Kolb/Skelton splitting snaps

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...snaps-with-skelton?module=HP11_headline_stack

This isn't shocking, but it is incredible to think about when you take a step back. Just one year after the Cardinals mortgaged their future by dealing draft picks and trading huge money for Kevin Kolb, they aren't even letting him take most of the first team snaps at practice. This is not what they paid for

Not much news here, but at least Skelton is getting an opportunity to compete. Hopefully someone emerges as the clear starter, because as of right now, Kolb and Skelton couldn't be more even with eachother.

Reaction score
From the article:
Just one year after the Cardinals mortgaged their future...
That's quite an overstatement. Gave up too much - sure; but mortgaged their future - LOL.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
From the article: That's quite an overstatement. Gave up too much - sure; but mortgaged their future - LOL.

Agreed.

But it is the Cardinals. You whip the whipping post.

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
HAHAHA. Agreed. This is why media outlets make me shake my head at times.
That was our very own Kent Somers who was quoted :)

While the Cards didn't necessarily "mortgage their future" on Kolb, they certainly put all their eggs into one basket -- which is the same concept more or less. Kolb is the 2nd highest paid player on the Cards, and if it wasn't for Skelton, Kolb's first season would've resulted in a 2-14 record.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kent said the quote above his name, not the "mortgage their future" part which was by Gregg Rosenthal.

While the Cards didn't necessarily "mortgage their future" on Kolb, they certainly put all their eggs into one basket -- which is the same concept more or less. Kolb is the 2nd highest paid player on the Cards, and if it wasn't for Skelton, Kolb's first season would've resulted in a 2-14 record.

It was more Horton and the Defense, Fitzgerald and Special teams that earned those wins.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
From the article: That's quite an overstatement. Gave up too much - sure; but mortgaged their future - LOL.

I was laughing too when I saw that, I did not know "I like to daydream and ignore my assignments and not tackle while on the field" DRC and a second round pick comprised our future. This constant BS drama is golden in our age LOL. And most QBs perceived to be the starter, at the most important position on the field, get money similar to what Kolb is getting, big deal

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It was more Horton and the Defense, Fitzgerald and Special teams that earned those wins.

Absolutely!!!

I still don't get all the luv some have for Skelton. He's had some moments in the 4th qtr, but hasn't performed very well other than that.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Absolutely!!!

I still don't get all the luv some have for Skelton. He's had some moments in the 4th qtr, but hasn't performed very well other than that.

I will take 8-4 and 4-2 vs. the NFC West (both losses vs. SF away---3-0 at home vs. the whole division last year) any day of the week. It doesn't have to be pretty in my book. I just love the toughness Skelton brings to the entire football team and I don't think it's purely coincidence the whole team has played tougher with him under center.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Kent said the quote above his name, not the "mortgage their future" part which was by Gregg Rosenthal.

It was more Horton and the Defense , Fitzgerald and Special teams that earned those wins.
Oops, when I originally posted the article there was a typo which made it seem like Somers tweeted that -- odd

So literally every other aspect of the team aside from Skelton was the reason for winning? Is that why he had 5 game winning drives in the 4th quarter? Our defense is great at getting Larry the ball too...

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
I am in Kolb's corner because I think he has the far greater upside. But at the end of the day its W/L's that matter. Kolb can do it provided he stays healthy. If not .... Let's go Skelly

Sent from the voices inside my head via Tapatalk on my BlackBerry Bold 9930

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I will take 8-4 and 4-2 vs. the NFC West (both losses vs. SF away---3-0 at home vs. the whole division last year) any day of the week. It doesn't have to be pretty in my book. I just love the toughness Skelton brings to the entire football team and I don't think it's purely coincidence the whole team has played tougher with him under center.

I agree that Skelton is tough & it appears the team "believes" in him more, but IMO Skelton isn't the biggest reason the team won those games Mitch. This team isn't going anywhere with either IMO, let alone compete for a Super Bowl.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Absolutely!!!

I don't understand why people have to belittle Skelton's accomplishments. I've already posted the number of 70 yard drives for the win or tie.

I'll take that any day over a guy who looks good and completes 65% of his passes but can't score. We recently released a guy like that didn't we.

It's like posters believe all the points came on 23 yard drives and PP21 Punt returns. It is just as easy for me to say that the reason the defense started playing better was that Kevin Kolb was no longer the QB.

Last edited:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Absolutely!!!

I don't understand why people have to belittle Skelton's accomplishments. I've already posted the number of 70 yard drives for the win or tie. It's like posters believe all the points came on 23 yard drives and PP21 Punt returns. It is just as easy to say that if it hadn't been for special teams Kolb would have been the losing QB in every game he finished. 0 fer 2011.

I'll take that any day over a guy who looks good and completes 65% of his passes but can't score. We recently released a guy like that didn't we.
Skelton is our Tim Tebow. Young backup QB that has proven nothing with a devoted fanbase who happened to be taking snaps as a strong defense came around. The die-hard fans bring the detractors that get sick of hearing about it

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skelton is our Tim Tebow. Young backup QB that has proven nothing with a devoted fanbase who happened to be taking snaps as a strong defense came around. The die-hard fans bring the detractors that get sick of hearing about it

So who is Kolb in this scenario... Brady Quinn or Kyle Orton?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, I think we gave up too much for Skelton too. I think we could've had him without giving up two picks and a player to move up in the draft. :D

Why would anyone really have a problem with them splitting snaps after last season? The problem would be picking either one of them at this point as starter. Reps in OTAs mean so little compared to camp and preseason.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people have to belittle Skelton's accomplishments. I've already posted the number of 70 yard drives for the win or tie.

It's like posters believe all the points came on 23 yard drives and PP21 Punt returns. It is just as easy for me to say that the reason the defense started playing better was that Kevin Kolb was no longer the QB.

I have a friend who says Skelton is Jake Plummer without the flair or cool nickname.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Thanks you just displayed a perfect example of:

A poster who believes all the points came on 23 yard drives and PP21 Punt returns.

Proven nothing? Except that he can lead a 70+ yard drive for the winning score in crunch time. Multiple times.

Its a myth that the only reason the Cards won was the Defense. Just once though I'd like these detractors actually show how the defense that never scored a point and provided almost no short fields won these games.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I am happy that Whiz seems to be conducting a fair competition between the two. They SHOULD be getting equal numbers of snaps in such a competition. Let the man who performs best win in an equal competition. This not only selects the best player for QB, but sets the example for similar competitions throughout the entire roster. The best will rise to the occasion.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So who is Kolb in this scenario... Brady Quinn or Kyle Orton?
closer to Orton I guess. Older QB we coughed up a lot for (Jay Cutler in the Orton scenario. The big contract in Kolb's, I don't mind the trade, but we way overpaid for somebody completely unproven) and had hoped would be our ringer but hasn't panned out so far
Thanks you just displayed a perfect example of:

Proven nothing? Except that he can lead a 70+ yard drive for the winning score in crunch time. Multiple times.

Its a myth that the only reason the Cards won was the Defense. Just once though I'd like these detractors actually show how the defense that never scored a point and provided almost no short fields won these games.
didn't say it was the only reason. But I do believe it's the main contributing factor. That and it appears the overall team chemistry improved a lot...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am happy that Whiz seems to be conducting a fair competition between the two. They SHOULD be getting equal numbers of snaps in such a competition. Let the man who performs best win in an equal competition. This not only selects the best player for QB, but sets the example for similar competitions throughout the entire roster. The best will rise to the occasion.

Normally I wouldn't like this. I'm a believer in having a solid #1QB and giving him all the reps he needs. But in this situation both the QBs should be working first team as much as possible. With Kolb's injury history and Double Deuce's results in the Win Loss column it just can't be any other way.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
didn't say it was the only reason. But I do believe it's the main contributing factor. That and it appears the overall team chemistry improved a lot...

Here's what caused the team chemistry to improve:

After the 2nd half debacle in Baltimore which followed the horrendous loss to Minny and the loss to Pittsburgh the Cards come home to play the Rams.

Time to check it in for the season for many Cardinal football teams, right? Instead the Cards take advantage of an extremely bad Rams offense and stay in the game. Down 13-6 with 8:36 left in the game Skelton drives the Cards 84 yards to tie.

Now this is where the Cards traditionally would allow the other team to drive for the winning FG or TD. Instead the D comes up with huge stops on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 on the Rams next possession. A few minutes later the Rams look like they are going to make up for the earlier failure and drive for the winning FG with a 23 yard completion. But no it's blocked by Calais Campbell.

On to overtime and Patrick Peterson returns the Rams punt 99 yards for the game winner.

The Magic is turned on. The team forgets all about 2010 and the Vikings game and Ravens game and that they got shafted vs the Giants and that they have a lot of new and young players and starts to believe and we're off to the races.

Last edited:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's what caused the team chemistry to improve:

After the 2nd half debacle in Baltimore which followed the horrendous loss to Minny and the loss to Pittsburgh the Cards come home to play the Rams.

Time to check it in for the season for many Cardinal football teams, right? Instead the Cards take advantage of an extremely bad Rams offense and stay in the game. Down 13-6 with 8:36 left in the game Skelton drives the Cards 84 yards to tie.

Now this is where the Cards traditionally would allow the other team to drive for the winning FG or TD. Instead the D comes up with huge stops on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 on the Rams next possession. A few minutes later the Rams look like they are going to make up for the earlier failure and drive for the winning FG with a 23 yard completion. But no it's blocked by Calais Campbell.

On to overtime and Patrick Peterson returns the Rams punt 99 yards for the game winner.

The Magic is turned on. The team forgets all about 2010 and the Vikings game and Ravens game and that they got shafted vs the Giants and that they have a lot of new and young players and starts to believe and we're off to the races.
If anything that took place that day can be credited with vastly improving team morale, it's the record-setting game-ending OT runback by a rookie

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If anything that took place that day can be credited with vastly improving team morale, it's the record-setting game-ending OT runback by a rookie

There were FOUR amazing, totally unCardinal like things that happened in that game not just one. And there is no record setting game-ending OT runback by a rookie without the other 3.

An 84 yard drive to tie without Fitz catching a pass until they're at the 13 yard line of the Rams. Stuffing Steven Jackson not once but twice. And Campbell's block of the FG. All those things added together are what turned on the Magic in Arizona. Just one thing like that has happened many times in the past without giving the Cardinals season a boost. PP21 had an 89 yard return to beat the Panthers in his very first NFL game and the Cards lost their next 6. It was all those things happening in just 10 minutes and 4 seconds of football that did it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson