Killian Hayes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killian Hayes is a point guard/shooting guard prospect from team Ratiopharm Ulm in Germany. He is 18.70 years old. Early indications are that he may not last until #10.

Hayes stands 6' 5" and weighs 187 pounds with a 6-7 1/4 wingspan.

NBA Draft Room has Killian going #8 in their mock.

Here are some of his strengths per the site:

• Is developing a solid NBA body with good size for the PG position
  • Has high end athleticism and great open court speed
  • A terrific ball-handler who pushes the pace and has a lot of moves and creativity
  • Has a good, wide crossover dribble and a lot of shake and bake
  • Has great burst and suddenness. Has blow-by speed and can really elevate at the rim

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-nba-mock-draft.html

Some apparent weaknesses early in his career is the lack of a consistent 3 point shot and on occasion forces passes. His assist to turnover ratio was 5.4 to 3.2 this past season

Tankathon has Killian going #6 in their mock.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/killian-hayes

NBADraft.Net has Killian going #14.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some scouting video on Killian Hayes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I like Hayes for some of the same reasons that I like Haliburton. I like the fact that they can play alongside both Booker and Rubio. I think Hayes has a higher ceiling than Haliburton, but also has a much lower floor.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Hayes for some of the same reasons that I like Haliburton. I like the fact that they can play alongside both Booker and Rubio. I think Hayes has a higher ceiling than Haliburton, but also has a much lower floor.

Jonathan Givony of ESPN likes Haliburton first and Hayes second next to Booker if the Suns stay at #10.

This is from Arizona Sports:

It’s something that general manager James Jones could address in the 2020 NBA Draft, and ESPN’s Jonathan Givony has two names that come to mind in his updated mock. Assuming the Suns stick at 10th in the drafting order through the lottery process, he has them selecting French combo guard Killian Hayes.

But the best fit, he says, is Iowa State point guard Tyrese Haliburton, who is taken off the board a pick before Phoenix is up.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2295541/espns-latest-nba-mock-draft-has-suns-gunning-for-pg/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the best fit, he says, is Iowa State point guard Tyrese Haliburton, who is taken off the board a pick before Phoenix is up.

That makes me wonder who would take Haliburton and how sold they are on him. Would a swap with Lecque involved be enough to cause that team to take Hayes and let us get Haliburton? If not Lecque then some future 2nds? Unfortunately that mock is on Insider so I can't see who he has making the pick or the reasoning.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That makes me wonder who would take Haliburton and how sold they are on him. Would a swap with Lecque involved be enough to cause that team to take Hayes and let us get Haliburton? If not Lecque then some future 2nds? Unfortunately that mock is on Insider so I can't see who he has making the pick or the reasoning.

As much as I like Haliburton, we absolutely have to get a PF or C from this draft. Other than Ayton, we are way too weak and unathletic inside. Haliburton would be a luxury. One of the bigs is a need.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Personally I don't think Lecque has earned enough value for a team to swap picks with the Suns. And the Suns of course have given up their second round picks in the next two drafts. It's hard for me to see them having the talent to move up in the draft without giving up a key player or future 1st round pick which is not the way to go in this draft.

It's important for the Suns to fix one of two positions if they keep the pick: point guard or power forward. It may come down to BPA at #10 unless the Suns get lucky in the lottery. I do think the Suns can find a fix at power forward in free agency but it's nice to have young talent to groom behind a starter whether it be point guard or power forward.

JerkFace

Reaction score
As much as I like Haliburton, we absolutely have to get a PF or C from this draft. Other than Ayton, we are way too weak and unathletic inside. Haliburton would be a luxury. One of the bigs is a need.
PF is huge need. By far the biggest on the team, but the suns are not talented or deep enough to reach for need. This team just needs talent. If the talent between PF and who ever else is on the board is close, then by all means take a big, but in no way should we pass on the better player to reach for a big.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think Lecque has earned enough value for a team to swap picks with the Suns. And the Suns of course have given up their second round picks in the next two drafts. It's hard for me to see them having the talent to move up in the draft without giving up a key player or future 1st round pick which is not the way to go in this draft.

It's important for the Suns to fix one of two positions if they keep the pick: point guard or power forward. It may come down to BPA at #10 unless the Suns get lucky in the lottery. I do think the Suns can find a fix at power forward in free agency but it's nice to have young talent to groom behind a starter whether it be point guard or power forward.

I think the Suns only owe their 2nd this year and have their own 2nd next year. I had trouble finding a good site with info on what picks are owed to who but Tankathon didn't list anything about a 2nd being owed next year.

I think Lecque has the value of a 2nd, to a team looking for a guard. Is that enough to move up with? Not substantially but it may be something that can get the team ahead of them to swap picks.

The Suns need to try to do something to get some picks to play with. I think Jerome could fetch a couple of 2nds from someone also but it's probably too soon to do that and sell it as win, unless they can resign Baynes. Then the trade to bring in Jerome & Baynes for the Bucks pick looks better. Of course that Bucks pick would be #30 this year so it's not really a loss either way.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PF is huge need. By far the biggest on the team, but the suns are not talented or deep enough to reach for need. This team just needs talent. If the talent between PF and who ever else is on the board is close, then by all means take a big, but in no way should we pass on the better player to reach for a big.

I concur with that. I just think that the talent between one of Carey, Stewart, Okongwu and even Toppin (despite him not giving us everything we need at the power forward position) and Achiuwa (despite the concerns with motor and consistency), on one hand, and Haliburton, on the other hand, is close enough (and perhaps even greater than Haliburton) to opt for the area of greater need.

Now, if Carey, Stewart, Okongwu, Toppin and Achiuwa are all off the board, but Haliburton is still available, then sure, Haliburton is a no-brainer pick, in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns only owe their 2nd this year and have their own 2nd next year. I had trouble finding a good site with info on what picks are owed to who but Tankathon didn't list anything about a 2nd being owed next year.

I think Lecque has the value of a 2nd, to a team looking for a guard. Is that enough to move up with? Not substantially but it may be something that can get the team ahead of them to swap picks.

The Suns need to try to do something to get some picks to play with. I think Jerome could fetch a couple of 2nds from someone also but it's probably too soon to do that and sell it as win, unless they can resign Baynes. Then the trade to bring in Jerome & Baynes for the Bucks pick looks better. Of course that Bucks pick would be #30 this year so it's not really a loss either way.

The Suns do not have their second round pick in the 2020 draft and likely not their 2021 second round pick if I am reading the details correctly from Real GM.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

For some reason Monty was reluctant to give Jerome minutes this past season and I don't think it was entirely about athleticism. If there is a trade market for him I can see the Suns doing something like that if there is a player they like better.

I'd really like to have a second round pick(s) the way this draft is shaping up.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I concur with that. I just think that the talent between one of Carey, Stewart, Okongwu and even Toppin (despite him not giving us everything we need at the power forward position) and Achiuwa (despite the concerns with motor and consistency), on one hand, and Haliburton, on the other hand, is close enough (and perhaps even greater than Haliburton) to opt for the area of greater need.

Now, if Carey, Stewart, Okobgwo, Toppin and Achiuwa are all off the board, but Haliburton is still available, then sure, Haliburton is a no-brainer pick, in my opinion.
I agree about Okongwu and Toppin, but I think Carey/Stewart (next to Ayton) and Achiuwa are a tier below both Hiliburton and Hayes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Guys, I like lecque as a project. He has very little if any value at present. He went undrafted last season, got zero burn with the nba club, and didn’t light the D league on fire. No one is moving down for him. Pipe dream.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys, I like lecque as a project. He has very little if any value at present. He went undrafted last season, got zero burn with the nba club, and didn’t light the D league on fire. No one is moving down for him. Pipe dream.

Yeah. Going into last draft he was known to be a phenomenal athlete but lacking in NBA level skills. Last year he made some crazy athletic plays, but looked like he was lacking in NBA level skills. I don't think his value has changed. If he was in this draft he would probably be a fringe 2nd round pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish the Suns could have signed another free agent player in Luguentz Dort.

JerkFace

Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is who ESPN has the Suns taking provided the Suns pick at #10.

Most likely pick: Killian Hayes | G

The Suns have exceeded expectations in a season highlighted by the improvement of cornerstones Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton, and strong contributions from several role players.

While Ricky Rubio has proved to be a strong complement to Booker, he's about to turn 30. The Suns might look at 6-5 pick-and-roll guard Killian Hayes. A versatile guard like Haliburton, who can play on or off the ball thanks to his size, strong perimeter shooting and basketball instincts, would also be a great fit. -- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...draft-lottery-potential-picks-odds-every-team

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see Killian Hayes being there at #10. I'd be thrilled if he were. A tall combo guard would look good next to Booker.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killian Hayes with an interview with Shams Charania.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about him, but I could be talked into him. He is one of the few point guards who is not on my "Don't Draft" list...

JerkFace

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about him, but I could be talked into him. He is one of the few point guards who is not on my "Don't Draft" list...
I like him a lot at #10, but like him much less if we move into the top 4. Definitely a high ceiling low floor player. Curious to see if Jones’ draft strategy of taking an experienced player with a defined role (not really Hayes) was a one year philosophy or a general belief.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like him a lot at #10, but like him much less if we move into the top 4. Definitely a high ceiling low floor player. Curious to see if Jones’ draft strategy of taking an experienced player with a defined role (not really Hayes) was a one year philosophy or a general belief.

Let's hope it is not a hard-line rule for Jones, because if it is, we are looking at a major reach for someone like Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Cassius Winston, Lamar Stevens, Payton Pritchard, Nick Richards or Markus Howard at 10.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Let's hope it is not a hard-line rule for Jones, because if it is, we are looking at a major reach for someone like Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Cassius Winston, Lamar Stevens, Payton Pritchard, Nick Richards or Markus Howard at 10.
Those names are only if you take it to the extreme. There are a handful of solid names that have multiple years of college experience and will be over 21 during next season:
Obi Toppin
Tyrese Haliburton
Aaron Nesmith
Seddiq Bey
Jalen Smith
Devin Vassell (under 21 but will be 20 before season starts)