Kerr Thinks Shaq The Key

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Hoopsworld is a bit odd and not quite as reputable as some other sites. None the less, this article was linked from Suns.com

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9613

Kerr: Shaq's Impact Not Yet Felt
You must be registered for see images

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 7/29/08

Summer league means different things to different teams. For some, like the Portland Trail Blazers, it means a chance to see one of the next true impact players, Jerryd Bayless, take the court against other NBA players for the first time. For the Detroit Pistons it was more about giving their young second unit a chance to get out and play full court together in the summer league setting. For most teams, though, it's more about getting a couple of players some experience in an environment where wins and losses aren't really the point.

The Suns were in that last category, as GM Steve Kerr told HOOPSWORLD.

"It's important, especially for our young guys. We have three guys who will be on our regular roster: Robin Lopez, Strawberry, and Alando Tucker. It's great for them. They get to play, they get to learn the NBA game, they get the experience, and it will help them prepare for training camp. It's an important deal for us to be here."

Tucker was part of a backcourt duo that made some noise in Las Vegas. He and DJ Strawberry had the Suns' team running like they were the real Suns, and personally averaged 21.6 points and 4.0 rebounds per game while connecting on 57% of his shots . . .many of which were fastbreak lay-ups. Does that mean he's ready to crack the rotation in November?

"We'd like him to be," says Kerr. "Tuck can score. He's just one of those guys who can put the ball in the hole. The question is whether we can make that translate into what we're trying to do as a team with Steve (Nash), Amare (Stoudemire) and Shaq (O'Neal). He's not a great shooter, he's a decent shooter, but he's a great scorer. We've got to figure out how to make that fit."

At the point guard position for the Suns was DJ Strawberry, who was a steal by any measure in last summer's draft. The Suns got him with the 59th overall selection, which normally would have been a player headed to Europe or the NBDL. After a brief mid-season stint with Albuquerque in the D-League, where he averaged 32 points in five games, Strawberry spent most of the season with the Suns. He put up 18 points per game for the summer league squad.

"He's been playing well," admits Kerr. "He's very good defensively, he's tough, he can play either guard spot. We're pleased with what we've seen from DJ. He still needs to get more experience, get smarter with the game, learn to control the game from the point guard spot. He's playing well and he's got a chance to be in our rotation this year, too."

As much as Tucker, Strawberry, and newcomer Robin Lopez are expected to help the Suns next season, their title hopes are centered around Shaquille O'Neal. After being injured for much of his post-title stay in Miami, Shaq was acquired by the Suns in hopes he would put them in their quest for an NBA championship. That didn't happen, of course, and the Suns were eliminated by the San Antonio Spurs in the first round of the Still, Kerr believes Shaq's presence in Phoenix is yet to be truly felt.

"I think it's a big deal to have Shaq for the whole year next season. We'll be able to establish our defense and what we're trying to accomplish in October rather than trying to do it on the fly in February. Hopefully with a full year under his belt Shaq can really make the adjustment. I thought he played well for us last year; unfortunately our season ended a little earlier than we had hoped, but we'll be better this year because of that experience and the fact that he'll have a training camp with us."

Finally, in addition to the acquisition of Shaq and the drafting of Lopez, the Suns are counting on new head coach Terry Porter to guide them to the next level. Porter made it to the Finals twice as a player with the Portland Trail Blazers, when he was part of the best back court in the NBA (with Clyde Drexler), and spent several seasons playing with Kerr in San Antonio, just missing a title there. Now he's hoping to finally get that elusive championship as a head coach.

"All of our guys were really excited about the hire," beams Kerr. "Terry's a guy who is well-respected around the league, he carries himself with a lot of confidence, and he's a guy who's had some experience as a head coach in Milwaukee and the last couple years as an assistant in Detroit. I think Terry is primed to really become a great head coach and I'm excited for him to have the opportunity."

The Suns aren't finished making moves, and continue to be a part of many scenarios making their rounds in the rumor mills. Their best hope for a title, however, is already safely secured in a Phoenix jersey. They will go as far as Shaquille O'Neal takes them, and the Suns hope that's all the way.

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
after reading that, i get the odd feeling that kerr is ready to give up on the market for free agent pg's (for which i don't blame him). it sounds like he's ready to put DJ in there to play alongside barbosa, maybe even to mask his defensive deficiencies somewhat. I hope Tucker can crack the rotation this year as well. i want to really get a chance to see him do his thing. what i didn't like is how heavily the article says we'll be relying on shaq. personally, i think we go as far as nash and amare carry us, not so much as far as shaq carries us

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm...so horrible shooting and being turnover prone constitutes playing well...good to know. :p :rolleyes:

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Many people don't realize Shaq has still got game. He WILL be a force to reckon with and he will be better this upcoming season...count on it.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...so horrible shooting and being turnover prone constitutes playing well...good to know. :p :rolleyes:

It's amazing how many PG's don't shoot well. Two of the top PG's this summer Duhon who shot 38.7% and 34.8% for three while Pargo shot 39.0% and 34.9% for three. Just a sample of backup PG's is bretty grim reading:. Sergio Rodriguez shot 36.2% and 29.3% for three, Telefair at 40.1% and 28.1% for three, Lindsay Hunter 34.4% and 26.9% for three, Stuckey 401.1% and 18.8% for three, Mardy Collins 32.6% and 25.0% for three, Tinssly 38% and 28.4% for three, Travis Diener 37% and 31.8% for three, Acie Law 40.1% and 20.6% for three, Raymnd Felton 41.3 and 28.0% for three, and Javaris Crittenton (with Memphis) 40.0% and 26.5% for three, Rafer Alston 39.4% and 35.1% for three, and so on.

In many other cases, the PG's will have decent three point numbers but awful two point shooting due to taking mostly three's. It gives you some perspective on why Nash won thos MVP awards.

BTW, Draft Express gave Strawberry a decent review;

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/D.J.-Strawberry-1076/

Las Vegas Summer League Day Four
July 16, 2008
D.J. Strawberry singlehandedly prevented Donte Greene from breaking the Summer League scoring record by maintaining great position defensively and denying him the ball. Until the final minute or so of the game when he got to the foul line on an intentional foul, Greene had only gotten two touches the entire quarter, a testament to just how well Strawberry player him. Though he didn’t put up gaudy defensive stats, Strawberry was a menace defensively, giving Aaron Brooks the same fits he game Greene. Offensively, Strawberry showed a ton of development from last season. He was lights out from the midrange, showing a one dribble pull up that no one was able to defend effectively. His first step and speed make him a factor in off the dribble and transition, and he’s got the athleticism to finish and the court vision to set up his teammates. Strawberry isn’t quite a pure point guard, but he did a solid job running the show today. His ball handling ability is leaps and bounds better than it used to be, and he’s going to be a great asset for Phoenix if he continues to improve.

Las Vegas Summer League Day Seven
July 19, 2008
The former Maryland guard has come a long way from the Summer League last year. Today didn’t present much of a challenge for Strawberry with George Hill sitting on the contest in anticipation of the Rocky Mountain *****. The second-year point man was able to get wherever he wants on the floor whenever he wanted to be there. Few players in Las Vegas share his combination of size, quickness, and strength. Strawberry did a great job running the show today (against the Spurs), pushing the break whenever possible and generally putting pressure on the defense to slow him down. He hit a catch and shoot three-pointer today, something you don’t see out of him often, but did most of his damage at the rim. He was able to turn the corner consistently, and doesn’t shy away from contact when he gets to the rim. Defensively, Strawberry gave his usual great effort, getting a handful of deflections leading to transition opportunities. While he may have been the later pick, Strawberry may have jumped ahead of Alando Tucker as a prospect, and it will be interesting to see how he develops in the coming year.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Who cares what he shot in the summer league. He has to play well in the preseason and in practice and put in the extra hours honing his shooting and ball handling to break the rotation.

What's the saying -- Offence earns you court time, defence keeps you there? Something like that, maybe it don't translate well from Norwegian.

I was hoping his development was further along but I've not given up hope of seeing Coach Porter give him steady playing time from the start of the season. It's the only way for him and Tuck to get better... if the coach believes in them that is. He's probably good enough to bring the ball up for five minutes each game and let Nash get the extra rest, especially considering both Diaw and Hill and to some extent Barbosa can start the offence.

Go DJ!

On Shaq: He is getting old and I don't know how he's spent his summer, but some reports have said he's working on getting in shape and proving naysayers wrong. Did we loose our shooting coach to New York? Shaq's mechanics are pretty hopeless so I'm not holding my breath but increasing his FT% to .600 would be a pleasent surprise.

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
On Shaq: He is getting old and I don't know how he's spent his summer, but some reports have said he's working on getting in shape and proving naysayers wrong. Did we loose our shooting coach to New York? Shaq's mechanics are pretty hopeless so I'm not holding my breath but increasing his FT% to .600 would be a pleasent surprise.

Yeah, Phil Weber was the shooting coach and he's part of D'Antoni's crew in NY. I believe the old adage of 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks' will probably apply in this case. Shaq's been in the league, what, 15 years? I'm guessing he's had at least that many shooting coaches trying to help him throughout the years and if he hasn't gotten it by now, I don't think he will.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Phil Weber

I want him back.

Who is our current shooting coach? Thunder Dan? He did improve his shot tremendously but I don't see him as a pure shooter, but maybe he can teach it anyhow?

I'd like to see Hornacek as our shooting coach. Someone mentioned it, think about how he would learn our players to lick their fingers and pat their chin like he used to. Getting EJ as the shooting coach would be just as great. I really like EJ.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that Igor is their shooting coach. Of course Porter may do some hands on here. Terry had a career 46.3% and 38.6% for three. In his last five seasons, TP shot for three::

1997-98 39.5%
1998-99 41.1%
1999-00 43.5%
2000-01 42.4%
2001-02 41.5%

By comparison, EJ was not that great a 3 point shooter with a career 33.5%. His real strength was mid range and his overall average was 47.2%. Eddie has made teaching shooting a career, but Porter has the credientals to be pretty good at it too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Kerr is a smart guy.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
DJ is a talented player, and I think with more court time, he will definitely be someone to look upon. Tucker and the rest of the team are going to have to find a niche for him. And thinking Shaq will be a force reckon with, no offense, but I really doubt he will be that much of a force. I can still see him getting 14 points a game and 8 rebounds, but not much more. He's 36 years old.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
DJ is a talented player, and I think with more court time, he will definitely be someone to look upon. Tucker and the rest of the team are going to have to find a niche for him. And thinking Shaq will be a force reckon with, no offense, but I really doubt he will be that much of a force. I can still see him getting 14 points a game and 8 rebounds, but not much more. He's 36 years old.

What matters with Shaq is what he does in the playoffs. Physically, I see no reason why he can't duplicate what he did in 2005-06 playoffs when he played on 59 games and was far from 100%. That year he averaged 18.4 ppg, 61.2% and 9.8 rpg, 1.48 bpg in 33 minutes over 23 games. I'm not sure how they did it, but the Heat that season held their playoff opponents to 42.9% shooting.

It doesn't matter if Shaq scores a lot as long as teams have to act as if he might.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too think Shaq still has game. Even if you think this team can't win a title as is, this team is closer with Shaq. You have to account for him in the paint. He will get you easy buckets and proved last year he won't slow down the team.

I am more confident with the Shaqtus in there then depending on the likes of Lopez, Skinner, Marks or playing small ball with Amare at center. The Center position isn't as much a concern as our bench play, defense and depth.

I think with the fantastic signing of Barnes, the addition of Lopez and the reported improvement of Tuck and DJ, we actually might have the deepest bench we have ever had. Now if we get Goran that's a big plus.

To me the X-factor of this season is going to be Terry Porter. Can this team play a different style under Terry Porter? Can Terry get this team to play better defensively and on the boards? Will his philosophy and style mesh with the players he has. Because if it doesn't, no matter how good our starting 5 is and how deep our bench has become....it will spell disaster.

Shaq is A key. Terry Porter is key.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard