Kent Somers column

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Cards choose Whisenhunt
Ex-Steelers offensive coordinator turned Roethlisberger into Super Bowl champion
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 15, 2007 12:00 AM
Did the Cardinals make the right hire?

Ken Whisenhunt has a degree in civil engineering that, as a football coach, he's never had to use. It might come in handy now, because Whisenhunt has taken on a large construction project.

Whisenhunt will become the seventh head coach to try to build a winner with the Arizona Cardinals. Whisenhunt, who spent the past three years as the Steelers offensive coordinator, agreed to a four-year contract with a team option for a fifth year.

"It became apparent to us, particularly when we got into the second phase of our interview process, that Ken began to separate himself from the other candidates," said Rod Graves, the team's vice president of football operations. "It became obvious to us that his leadership ability, the plan that he had for our football team and the organization he demonstrated was clearly the right one for this team."

Because today is Martin Luther King Jr./Civil Rights Day, Whisenhunt won't be introduced formally as head coach until a news conference Tuesday afternoon. The team announced his hiring Sunday morning.

"I'm really excited," Whisenhunt told ESPN.com Sunday. "I really think it's a great opportunity. It's a team with a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball. The more I studied the situation the better it looked, and the more I wanted that job. I can't wait to get started."

The Cardinals have had one winning season since moving to Arizona in 1988 and won one playoff game since 1947. But team officials think they are close to winning and that the team underachieved under Dennis Green, who was fired after compiling a 16-32 record in three seasons.

"Great, good to have a coach," defensive end Bertrand Berry said when he heard about the hiring. "That's about all I can say. I don't know much about him. I'm sure I'll find out in the next little bit of time."

Whisenhunt's first task will be assembling a staff, and it will be especially important to find a defensive coordinator, given Whisenhunt's offensive background. He has spoken with Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, who remains under contract, and will meet with six other assistants the Cardinals have retained.

Whisenhunt will not be forced to hire those assistants, team officials have said.

Whisenhunt was a hot candidate for several jobs and had interviews with the Steelers, Falcons and the Dolphins. Last year, he turned down the opportunity to coach the Raiders.

After firing Green the day after the season ended, the Cardinals interviewed eight candidates in eight days and then narrowed their choices to a "short list."

"Our process was extremely thorough, and it's unlike one that many of us have ever been a part of," Graves said. "In some cases, the interviews lasted more than 12, 13 hours."

Former Packers coach Mike Sherman interviewed for a second time Thursday, followed by Whisenhunt, who had a second interview Friday and Saturday. By midday on Saturday, the Cardinals decided Whisenhunt, 44, was their man.

It didn't take long for Whisenhunt's agent, Eric Metz, and the Bidwills, owner Bill Bidwill and his son Michael, to reach a deal.

Metz, who is based in the Valley, credited the Bidwills for "their integrity and commitment to winning.

"They bent over backward to accommodate him and made him feel very wanted," Metz said. "The Cardinals were very aggressive and made a tremendous commitment."

He declined to reveal financial terms of the deal.

Whisenhunt and fellow Steelers assistant Russ Grimm were top candidates to replace Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, but the Steelers haven't moved quickly to hire Cowher's successor. If Whisenhunt had waited for the Steelers' decision, he might have been shut out of other opportunities.

A graduate of Georgia Tech, Whisenhunt played nine seasons in the NFL as a tight end and H-back. When he retired from playing in 1993, Whisenhunt concentrated on his golf game, getting down to a 4 handicap, but he became bored with that after a short time, according to a story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

One of his former NFL coaches, Rod Dowhower, was at Vanderbilt and hired Whisenhunt as special teams and tight ends coach.

Since then, he's been climbing the ladder of the coaching profession.

Whisenhunt has been a Steelers assistant for the past six years, including the past three as offensive coordinator. He's known as a bold play caller who also places heavy emphasis on a strong running game. His work with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger helped him get the Cardinals job.

In Arizona, he'll work with Matt Leinart, the 10th overall pick in last year's draft.

"He has done a remarkable job in Pittsburgh, and he obviously had a big hand in grooming their quarterback and shaping him up into a Super Bowl winner," Graves said.

Whisenhunt took over as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator in 2004, the same year the team drafted Roethlisberger, who went on to win offensive Rookie of the Year honors. In 2005, he became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl and finished third in the league in passer rating (98.6).

Whisenhunt has coached 10 seasons in the NFL.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whisenhunt will not be forced to hire those assistants, team officials have said.
Key point ... hopefully he can weed through the asst coaches and keep who he wants and bring in who he wants without pressure from the FO ..

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
"He has done a remarkable job in Pittsburgh, and he obviously had a big hand in grooming their quarterback and shaping him up into a Super Bowl winner,"

Imagine what he can do with Matt who is 10 times the QB Ben is. I think Ben is over rated and a stiff and is appears Whiz (I can't get used to that nickname yet) helped play to his strengths, which bodes well for Matt since he has many strengths. I'm startin to like this guy

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I'm really excited," Whisenhunt told ESPN.com Sunday. "I really think it's a great opportunity. It's a team with a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball. The more I studied the situation the better it looked, and the more I wanted that job. I can't wait to get started."

~snip~

"Our process was extremely thorough, and it's unlike one that many of us have ever been a part of," Graves said. "In some cases, the interviews lasted more than 12, 13 hours."

~snip~

It didn't take long for Whisenhunt's agent, Eric Metz, and the Bidwills, owner Bill Bidwill and his son Michael, to reach a deal.

Metz, who is based in the Valley, credited the Bidwills for "their integrity and commitment to winning.

"They bent over backward to accommodate him and made him feel very wanted," Metz said. "The Cardinals were very aggressive and made a tremendous commitment."

1) Excitement for the job...much needed. Wish he could have displayed more excitement from jump.

2) Those are some long freaking interviews. Wow.

3) The agent is happy = good deal financially. Steeldog, signs point to them probably paying him the same as Denny...which you said wouldn't happen.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
The agent is happy = good deal financially. Steeldog, signs point to them probably paying him the same as Denny...which you said wouldn't happen.

D-D:

But paying a new hire "the same as" his predecessor earned under a contract negotiated three years ago would be equivalent to a reduction in payroll. No adjustment for inflation, in other words.

And in the income levels these guys play in, 3-1/2 percent per year is a big deal. A 2004 salary of $2.5 million would need to ratchet up to $2.77 million in 2007 to stay level. Keeping it at 2.5 leaves a cool $270K in the bank each year, or a million bucks plus over the life of a four-year contract. Not exactly chump change.

I analyze compensation for a living. Can you tell? ;)

WC

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-D:

But paying a new hire "the same as" his predecessor earned under a contract negotiated three years ago would be equivalent to a reduction in payroll. No adjustment for inflation, in other words.

And in the income levels these guys play in, 3-1/2 percent per year is a big deal. A 2004 salary of $2.5 million would need to ratchet up to $2.77 million in 2007 to stay level. Keeping it at 2.5 leaves a cool $270K in the bank each year, or a million bucks plus over the life of a four-year contract. Not exactly chump change.

WC
Don't you have to factor in that Denny had coaching experience and Whisenhunt doesn't?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-D:

WC

Denny also came in as a successful head coach with a long track record of winning.

Whiz comes in with ten years of coaching, no HC experience and a bit of a wild card.

You can argue that Denny got the high end of the salary range at that time hired, and that Ken gets the low end of the current salary range, and both figures are identical.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Don't you have to factor in that Denny had (head) coaching experience and Whisenhunt doesn't?

D-Dogg said:
Denny also came in as a successful head coach with a long track record of winning. Whiz comes in with ten years of coaching, no HC experience and a bit of a wild card.

You can argue that Denny got the high end of the salary range at that time hired, and that Ken gets the low end of the current salary range, and both figures are identical.

Mulli/D-D:

Of course. I was just pointing out that paying two people the same salary to do the same job three years apart would mean that you're paying the second guy less, in relative dollars. Given the difference in experience levels, as well as other factors, that's probably appropriate in this instance. In fact, I'm surprised that the numbers I've seen published for Whisenhunt have been as close to Green's as they are. If the Cardinals were truly trying to lowball the next HC hire, they probably could've found someone who'd sign on for less.

WC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of his former NFL coaches, Rod Dowhower, was at Vanderbilt and hired Whisenhunt as special teams and tight ends coach.

Since then, he's been climbing the ladder of the coaching profession.

Ooh I did not know that!

Very cool, longtime Cards fans will remember Dowhower as the OC of the Hanifan coached Cards of the mid 80's that featured Lomax, Roy Green, Stump Mitchell, Earl Ferrell etc.

If Whisenhunt coached under him that's very good.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Ooh I did not know that!

Very cool, longtime Cards fans will remember Dowhower as the OC of the Hanifan coached Cards of the mid 80's that featured Lomax, Roy Green, Stump Mitchell, Earl Ferrell etc.

If Whisenhunt coached under him that's very good.

Dowhower lives in AZ -- Cave Creek I beleive --

perhaps he could provide some consulting from time to time

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DJ -- I am assuming you are joking

One of the Pittsburgh articles referred to Cave Creek as "Cape Creek". And, yes, there is a bar up there that draws huge Steelers crowds.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DJ -- I am assuming you are joking

Yes I am. There's an article posted on the board that quotes a Steelers fan that runs a bar in "Cape Creek" Arizona. Cracked me up.

EDIT

One of the Pittsburgh articles referred to Cave Creek as "Cape Creek". And, yes, there is a bar up there that draws huge Steelers crowds.

Things sure are moving fast on ASFN these days.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just spoke with my neighbor who grew up in Pittsburgh & actually played for Pitt durung the 80's. He's a diehard Steeler fan & a very knowledgeable guy to boot. He asked me if I liked the hire. My response was "yes", his response was "it's a great hire". He was upset that the Steelers didn't hire him before us. He was adamant that Whiz made a slightly above average QB look very good to outstanding at times. He's far more cerebral than Grimm & a much better X's & O's guy than Grimm & Cowher combined. He thought Grimm could be successful with the right team, but there's far, far more upside to Whisenhunt. He thought Whisenhunt must have really been impressed with the Cardinals, because his Pitt connections told him that the Steelers were high on him also. The Rooney's don't do anything quickly (They took over a month to hire Cowher), so Whisenhunt just couldn't say no to the Cardinals. Kudos to Cardinal Mgmt for convincing this guy that we had a tremendous opportunity.