Judge says Zion Williamson must answer questions under oath about improper benefits at Duke

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judge in Florida orders Zion to answer questions under oath about whether he took money and other benefits before signing with Duke.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-answer-questions-oath-improper-benefits-duke
A Florida state court judge on Tuesday denied New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson's request to stay discovery into whether he was eligible under NCAA rules when he played one season at Duke in 2018-19.
Florida 11th Circuit Court Judge David Miller ruled that Williamson will be required to answer interrogatories and requests for admissions from attorneys representing Gina Ford and Prime Sports Marketing, who are suing Williamson for $100 million for breaching their marketing agreement.
Last month, Ford's attorneys asked Williamson to admit that his mother and stepfather demanded and received gifts, money and other benefits from persons acting on behalf of Adidas and Nike, and also from people associated with Duke, to influence him to sign with the Blue Devils and to wear Nike or Adidas

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a fascinating case. They're not trying to get Duke or anybody else in this. The reason they want him to admit he got paid was that he is alleging he didn't breach the contract because they were not registered in the state and as such weren't actually agents. And their counter is the state rules don't apply because the rules are for AMATEURS, Zion had already violated his amateur status so he's not covered under those rules.

I expected a settlement but they keep pushing it. Surely Coach K and Duke can get some lawyers in there to get a settlement before Zion has to go under oath here.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kellerman on First Take said Duke should just get a head of it and claim they're in violation but blow the lid off the thing and say its happening everywhere because its the NCAA's fault for their unfair system. Sure Max, you'd have a better chance of keeping Stephen A Smith's annoying outbursts at a minimum on your show than Duke falling on it's sword and the charade of the student athlete in the one and done era.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellerman on First Take said Duke should just get a head of it and claim they're in violation but blow the lid off the thing and say its happening everywhere because its the NCAA's fault for their unfair system. Sure Max, you'd have a better chance of keeping Stephen A Smith's annoying outbursts at a minimum on your show than Duke falling on it's sword and the charade of the student athlete in the one and done era.

The other thing is it appears very likely that Zion DID get paid, but it's by multiple people and it's likely from Nike. his parents lived in North Carolina last year they rented a house there. I know this because a friend of mine, a HUGE Duke fan, told me he found out Zion's parents were living a couple of blocks away from where he lives. He said I don't live in an uber rich neighborhood but it's not cheap either. One of his neighbors told him one day, the guy is a UNC fan and he said I'm sure you're aware Zion's parents moved in on such and such street. He had not been aware, checked and confirmed it was indeed them.

He said I guess it's like making hotdogs I don't really want to know, I'd like to think Duke is clean, I'm not naive, and I assume someone is paying for them to live there because it was fairly well known neither of them had any obvious job they were going to during the time they lived there.

So when the stuff came up in the trials about the stepdad asking Kansas for money, housing and a car he said I just sort of assumed whatever they asked from Adidas, they got from Nike.

So Duke would have to think there's a very clear paper trail and they're about to get caught so they better get ahead and self report. Right now there's no reason to think that's the case, Zion may "get caught" but nobody really cares about the kids taking money and if it's from Nike, Duke can just claim they had no knowledge.

Zion played on the Adidas circuit in HS, it's pretty clear Adidas put lots of money into him so him going to Nike probably caused some hard feelings and I imagine then his changing agents did the same thing.

I seriously doubt Duke will get into much if any trouble here. I'm sure he got paid, I'm sure they knew he got paid, but nothing is going to happen unless there is some bombshell that hasn't come out yet.

Michael Beasley got into the exact same kind of suit over changing agents, it came out he got money while in college, and K State never got into trouble over it.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The other thing is it appears very likely that Zion DID get paid, but it's by multiple people and it's likely from Nike. his parents lived in North Carolina last year they rented a house there. I know this because a friend of mine, a HUGE Duke fan, told me he found out Zion's parents were living a couple of blocks away from where he lives. He said I don't live in an uber rich neighborhood but it's not cheap either. One of his neighbors told him one day, the guy is a UNC fan and he said I'm sure you're aware Zion's parents moved in on such and such street. He had not been aware, checked and confirmed it was indeed them.

He said I guess it's like making hotdogs I don't really want to know, I'd like to think Duke is clean, I'm not naive, and I assume someone is paying for them to live there because it was fairly well known neither of them had any obvious job they were going to during the time they lived there.

So when the stuff came up in the trials about the stepdad asking Kansas for money, housing and a car he said I just sort of assumed whatever they asked from Adidas, they got from Nike.

So Duke would have to think there's a very clear paper trail and they're about to get caught so they better get ahead and self report. Right now there's no reason to think that's the case, Zion may "get caught" but nobody really cares about the kids taking money and if it's from Nike, Duke can just claim they had no knowledge.

Zion played on the Adidas circuit in HS, it's pretty clear Adidas put lots of money into him so him going to Nike probably caused some hard feelings and I imagine then his changing agents did the same thing.

I seriously doubt Duke will get into much if any trouble here. I'm sure he got paid, I'm sure they knew he got paid, but nothing is going to happen unless there is some bombshell that hasn't come out yet.

Michael Beasley got into the exact same kind of suit over changing agents, it came out he got money while in college, and K State never got into trouble over it.

So, you’ve absolved KU of any charges then?

Also, supposedly the house is owned by Capel, but that’s just rumor.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you’ve absolved KU of any charges then?

Also, supposedly the house is owned by Capel, but that’s just rumor.

I have no idea but in this case as far as I know nobody is alleging Zion got money to go to KU, in the Ayton case that was alleged Adidas paid him trying to get him to an adidas school, KU. In this case the allegation was the stepdad made clear demands to Adidas, housing, a car, money etc. He didn't go to an Adidas school he went to Duke so the logical conclusion knowing how major college basketball works is he probably got from Nike what he asked for from Adidas.

on the house I have no idea, they didn't buy them the house they let them live there and the claim is of course they had no jobs at the time they lived there so no obvious source of income or means to pay the rent so the assumption was it was a deal from Nike.

I know even Avenatti has alleged proof Zion took money but only connected to Nike, I'm not aware of anybody saying he got money from Adidas. When I said from several people I meant likely connected to Nike, as in they didn't just hand over a bag of cash they gave them money, arranged free housing, arranged a car etc. This would typically involve several people.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I have no idea but in this case as far as I know nobody is alleging Zion got money to go to KU, in the Ayton case that was alleged Adidas paid him trying to get him to an adidas school, KU. In this case the allegation was the stepdad made clear demands to Adidas, housing, a car, money etc. He didn't go to an Adidas school he went to Duke so the logical conclusion knowing how major college basketball works is he probably got from Nike what he asked for from Adidas.

on the house I have no idea, they didn't buy them the house they let them live there and the claim is of course they had no jobs at the time they lived there so no obvious source of income or means to pay the rent so the assumption was it was a deal from Nike.

I know even Avenatti has alleged proof Zion took money but only connected to Nike, I'm not aware of anybody saying he got money from Adidas. When I said from several people I meant likely connected to Nike, as in they didn't just hand over a bag of cash they gave them money, arranged free housing, arranged a car etc. This would typically involve several people.

If they ever cared to dig up more on Bagley it would be worse than Zion. JMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they ever cared to dig up more on Bagley it would be worse than Zion. JMO.

Yep Bags was the most obvious one in recent history. Dad was a some sort of plumber or pipe fitter, not bad money(pipe fitter is union so can pay well) but they moved to a gated community in LA and sent 3 kids to private Sierra Canyon(the younger kid was in elementary school there). Nike hired the dad to coach the brand new AAU team that featured Marvin and that became the dad's sole income. For awhile it sounded like they were flipping to Adidas(during all the UCLA rumors) but in the end it was Nike, adding in USC late and nearly picking them made that apparent.

again I don't fault the kids it's usually the parents doing it and I can't even fault the parents, if I had a kid who was a math whiz and someone was going to pay me 100K to "coach" said whizkid, I'd probably take it too.

The outcry in these cases is more I think lots of us are tired of seeing other schools, including KU for DWKB, get investigated and often punished and Duke goes free. I pointed it out months ago there was a story where an ex Duke player, I think Jay Williams can't remember, said something about Zion and said I think Duke is about the only clean program left. And Bradley Beal on Twitter responded to it and said something like "I was born, but I wasn't born yesterday, we all know how this system works." Basically saying don't be a homer that kid got paid to go to Duke as have many others and we all know it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's some internet rumor that the drivers license in question is a fake license that Zion used for some reason. He wasn't 21 and I don't think the license was for that, but that's the claim. Apparently the height and weight are reversed in positions on the license and that's allegedly why, because it's fake. One claim is that Zion didn't actually have a valid license and used that fake one.

This claim is that the license is faked by the agent claiming he paid Zion's stepdad, and it being fake is proof they didn't actually get paid, but apparently one of his former HS classmates has alleged it's actually just a fake license Zion had.

NO idea what's true.

The guy took money, they have texts and emails with Nike execs openly discussing wanting to outbid Adidas for Zion to crush Adidas. I don't particularly care other than I want to see Coach K have to admit his player was paid by someone to go to Duke even if he himself wasn't involved. No more of the holier than thou crap.

Zion's injury this year and near one at Duke is proof as to why these kids do this, or their parents, the risk of financial loss due to injury for a kid like Zion is real.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's some internet rumor that the drivers license in question is a fake license that Zion used for some reason. He wasn't 21 and I don't think the license was for that, but that's the claim. Apparently the height and weight are reversed in positions on the license and that's allegedly why, because it's fake. One claim is that Zion didn't actually have a valid license and used that fake one.

This claim is that the license is faked by the agent claiming he paid Zion's stepdad, and it being fake is proof they didn't actually get paid, but apparently one of his former HS classmates has alleged it's actually just a fake license Zion had.

NO idea what's true.

The guy took money, they have texts and emails with Nike execs openly discussing wanting to outbid Adidas for Zion to crush Adidas. I don't particularly care other than I want to see Coach K have to admit his player was paid by someone to go to Duke even if he himself wasn't involved. No more of the holier than thou crap.

Zion's injury this year and near one at Duke is proof as to why these kids do this, or their parents, the risk of financial loss due to injury for a kid like Zion is real.
They showed the ”Mclovin” ID on Highly Questionable today.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They showed the ”Mclovin” ID on Highly Questionable today.

IT definitely has his weight where the height should be and the height where the weight should be. Zion's lawyers are saying it's fake, the whole thing is fake, and the same agent tried to do this with Luka Doncic a couple of years ago. They've actually forwarded the information to legal authorities( assume they mean FBI) because they consider it extortion.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IT definitely has his weight where the height should be and the height where the weight should be. Zion's lawyers are saying it's fake, the whole thing is fake, and the same agent tried to do this with Luka Doncic a couple of years ago. They've actually forwarded the information to legal authorities( assume they mean FBI) because they consider it extortion.
You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave