Josh Childress warns NBA players about playing overseas

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Childress knows when he has it good. While other NBA players are posturing about playing overseas, he has his feet planted solidly on the ground. IMO, the players union would be happier if he were talking about playing overseas to give more leverage to their position.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the players union would be happier if he were talking about playing overseas to give more leverage to their position.

I agree, he is going to get a lot of flak from other players for those comments.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't believe we gave this guy such a ridiculous contract when no one else wanted him and he hadn't played in the league for years.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't believe we gave this guy such a ridiculous contract when no one else wanted him and he hadn't played in the league for years.

I think J-Chill is a player that can really contribute, but yes, he is grossly overpaid for what he currently brings to the table. Hopefully a healthy season will help if he is still with the Suns.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Oh comeon you can believe it! It's the SarverSuns.

lol I get you though Cheese, even though they consistently make terrible decisions, for some reason the Suns FO never ceases to amaze me.

Childress is an alright role player, but when I found out what we gave him I just shook my head and laughed just like with the Marcus Banks fiasco.

Last edited:

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I think J-Chill is a player that can really contribute, but yes, he is grossly overpaid for what he currently brings to the table. Hopefully a healthy season will help if he is still with the Suns.

I'm not sure what "grossly overpaid" means when it comes to free agents. At least the Suns didn't have to give up a player to get him.

He may prove to be grossly overpaid if a hard cap gets institued. Every player has to "fit" properly in team terms and financially.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh comeon you can believe it! It's the SarverSuns.

lol I get you though Cheese, even though they consistently make terrible decisions, for some reason the Suns FO never ceases to amaze me.

Childress is an alright role player, but when I found out what we gave him I just shook my head and laughed just like with the Marcus Banks fiasco.

Childress should have been signed to a contract similar to Dudley's extension, 5 years, 22M. However, Childress can play but Banks was just deadweight for the Suns.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Childress should have been signed to a contract similar to Dudley's extension, 5 years, 22M.
The problem was that his qualifying offer was already $5M so any contract he'd sign would have likely exceeded that on per year basis. So I don't know if signing him for less was an option, but not signing him at all was certainly an option. Still, I think he can contribute next season with Carter gone and Pietrus hopefully gone too.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hilarious words coming from the guy who went to europe because he didn't get as much money as he wanted to in the NBA.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think Childress should also warn players about shooting 6% from three-point range in your first season on a big contract.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Hilarious words coming from the guy who went to europe because he didn't get as much money as he wanted to in the NBA.

You should hear him talk about how they treat players overseas. The crowds throw firecrackers and M-80s at them. Apparently one player got a finger blew off. I think if I were a NBA player considering playing overseas I'd listen to what he has to say.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should hear him talk about how they treat players overseas. The crowds throw firecrackers and M-80s at them. Apparently one player got a finger blew off. I think if I were a NBA player considering playing overseas I'd listen to what he has to say.
They did that in Europe before Childress went there.

OP
OP
Superbone

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think Childress should also warn players about shooting 6% from three-point range in your first season on a big contract.

Why? That's the time to do it. It's the last year of your contract that you should try to avoid that.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Even if so which I doubt Greece is not representative for Europe.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
It's not that bad, but it isn't anywhere near NBA standard. If you're a spoiled NBA star, you'll have to adjust to less.