Joe Tizzard: Lostintranslation can prove doubters wrong at King George VI Chase

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A year ago Lostintranslation was about to be the next big thing in steeplechasing and though his reputation was redeemed when he finished a close-up third to Al Boum Photo in the Gold Cup, he was pulled up in last year’s Ladbrokes King George VI Chase at Kempton. This Christmas Colin Tizzard’s eight-year-old will return to the Esher track for racing’s Boxing Day feature and, on the back of a 47-length defeat in the Betfair Chase, once more looking to bounce back from a disappointment. “It’s the only worry,” explained Joe Tizzard who retains 100 per cent faith in the chaser. “The only concern is that he is coming in off the back of a bad run but he had to do that in the Gold Cup, he’s done it before.” Tizzard said he had come out of Haydock in fine form and his most recent gallop had been excellent. “The ground was heavy at Haydock and I could see after a circuit he wasn’t travelling for Robbie (Power). Dad and I thought that he’d handle it now because he is older and stronger but Robbie has always been adamant he wants better ground. He just can’t physically handle it.” He added: “He just wasn’t right for last year’s King George but he showed his true colours at Cheltenham. If we get him right he’s going to be very competitive in these races. “I’m not worried about the track – if you saw the way he travelled in the Gold Cup it was almost too well and he still managed to travel back into the race down the back there last year.” However Tizzard’s hope that it might cut up into a six runner race looks like being dashed with that quota already filled with Paul Nicholls planning to run four (Cyrname, Clan Des Obeaux, Real Steel and Frodon) and Henry de Bromhead set to send over Monalee, who finished a neck behind Lostintranslation in the Gold Cup, with Rachael Blackmore due to ride. At Newbury Warren Greatrex and Gavin Sheehan appeared harshly treated when the trainer was fined £3,000 and the jockey banned 14 days (from December 30 to January 12) when they were accused of ‘schooling in public’ after Beaufort, a 250-1 shot, was beaten 76 lengths by Lecale’s Article in the maiden hurdle. A furious Greatrex described it as ‘ridiculous.’ He said: “They have said he (Gavin) has not ridden him out to the line. Are we meant to beat horses that are out of contention? I know Gavin plans to appeal. I feel sorry for him – he’s a good guy riding a bad horse. He has done nothing wrong.” Irish raiders have a terrific recent strike-rate and Magic of Light, Jessica Harrington’s mare who was runner-up to Tiger Roll in the 2019 Grand National, kept that up when she was a facile winner of the Pertemps Network Mares Chase at Newbury, her third win in the race. Robbie Power, her jockey, said: “She feels as she good as when she won it for the first time, if not better. She is a joy to ride. The Grand National is the main target at Aintree in April. This a nice plan for her we have used the last couple of years. It’s ideal if we can get her to Aintree with loads of confidence under her belt.”

Continue reading...