JJ Watt pretty much……announces retirement

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
As technically sound and game-smart as he is, I wonder if it would be good to bring him onto the next staff in some coaching capacity. Anyone think anything about this?

Dude is simply a monster. Even after, what, 12 years, he is a pure disruptor. He's also a great leader and motivator.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As technically sound and game-smart as he is, I wonder if it would be good to bring him onto the next staff in some coaching capacity. Anyone think anything about this?

Dude is simply a monster. Even after, what, 12 years, he is a pure disruptor. He's also a great leader and motivator.
Zero chance. This guy can immediately go out and make $50k + private jet + five-star accommodation for a one-day a speaking engagement. He's stepping away from the game to spend time with his young family and help his wife pursue her career as a professional athlete.

Coming in to be a D-line assistant, work 90-hour weeks during the season, and get paid $70k is probably extremely low on his priority list.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So vance knew but kliff didn’t? Great internal communication. Not surprised.

Everyone seemed to know with the exception of Kliff.
Reading is fundamental!

Kingsbury was asked about Watt's announcement, not about his retirement.

Kingsbury said he had "no idea" Watt was going to announce his retirement:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Kliff Kingsbury said Cardinals did not know the J.J. Watt retirement news was coming:
Watt himself said he only decided to send the tweet announcing his retirement in the spur of the moment after the game.

Some people here seem to have Kingsbury Derangement Syndrome.

...dave

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Reading is fundamental!

Kingsbury was asked about Watt's announcement, not about his retirement.

Kingsbury said he had "no idea" Watt was going to announce his retirement:

Kliff Kingsbury said Cardinals did not know the J.J. Watt retirement news was coming:

Watt himself said he only decided to send the tweet announcing his retirement in the spur of the moment after the game.

Some people here seem to have Kingsbury Derangement Syndrome.

...dave
That might be the case. Personally I think weinfuss is poor enough writer that he wouldn’t purposefully make the distinction. And “retirement news” usually means you didn’t know the retirement was coming, but I could see how you could stretch the statement to interpret it as you wish.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't know for sure it wasn't someone from JJ's doctor doing the leaking...
I still think it was from the cards but you’re right, we def don’t know. I had a fairly close relationship with an NFL team’s surgeon years ago and he frequently spoke wayyy too freely around myself and my father in law about individual nfl players’ medical info.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Dude was only here for 2 years but will be one of my favorites of all time. Also, I wish Fitz did announce so we could rejoice like this with him

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't really a big Watt fan before he got here, but the guy is 100% class. Ending his career with a 12.5 sack season is going out like a boss. Not many can write the end of their story like that. I just wish it could have happened on a better team.

He was also a HUGE part of of our pass rush this year that now needs to be replaced immediately.

JJ Watt - 12.5 sacks
All of our LBs combined - 15.5 sacks

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wasn't really a big Watt fan before he got here, but the guy is 100% class. Ending his career with a 12.5 sack season is going out like a boss. Not many can write the end of their story like that. I just wish it could have happened on a better team.

He was also a HUGE part of of our pass rush this year that now needs to be replaced immediately.

JJ Watt - 12.5 sacks
All of our LBs combined - 15.5 sacks

To be fair to our rookie LBs they weren't allowed much game time by VJ the defensive guru

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose