Jimmy Clausen workout

Go Devils

Rookie
Reaction score
Im OK with this , IF he is there at 26. I dont have a lot of faith in Hollywood or Anderson. I would also look at McCoy in the 2nd. Matt is slow with a bad knee and a soft arm, that was a product of having awesome athletes around him at $C

OP
OP
Early

Early

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what you are arguing. Here is Mayock's direct quote:
"The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell"

It is well known that Russell had one of the best workouts of any player on a pro day. It isn't even debatable. To base the reason you are sold on a guy on a pro day is absolutely crazy. If you come out with a poor pro day then it would effect my judgement since you control absolutely everything. Every single person seems to have a fantastic pro day, you just can't take anything from it.

To base the reason i am sold on him? I have been speaking highly about this prospect for a while now. From his gametape exclusively. So that is a very wrong statement on your side and not fun to answer a post that is based on something like this.

It's a reinforcing factor. That is what this workout is. Like you say above, if he came with a poor day, than it's a red flag. That he came out strong is only reinforcing what you see on tape. And it's also very important way of judging wheter he is healthy.

"The tape work and the body of work in college has to take precedence," Mayock said.

"Fortunately for Bradford, Mayock says, his great Pro Day was only reinforcing his great play on the field at Oklahoma."

So, yes it's just a reinforcing workout to help your evaluation, nothing to judge a player exclusively on, and nobody said that in any post, you just assumed that for whatever reason. Everything about a prospect needs to be taken into consideration. Game tape is obviously by far the major evidence, and there Clausen is the best looking one by far IMO.

OP
OP
Early

Early

Registered
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/04/09/clausen/index.html?eref=sihp

This guy isn't Mayock but according to him the workout was solid not spectacular as he had velocity and accuracy but his timing was off as recievers had to make adjustments to catch his throws.

Interesting link. Strong contrast to what Mayock and the NFL network crew had observed.

That's just a good example on that even a workout, can be interpreted in so many different ways. Different evaluators have different criteria. Lack of timing can be due to recievers, due to QB, both, an injury, a WR injury... etc etc.. Also the timing can be almost correct but under estimated by the observer ..And gametape can induce much much more diverging opinions than a workout. Depends who interprets it and how it is done.

Personally from what I have seen from the few throws, his mechanics was as good as they can be. Someone else may disagree.

Mayock did point out that Bradford had even better accuracy. And on tapes, he actually does have that as well. But almost flawless was the word used.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crazy in trading up to get a real franchise QB? It's not impossible to trade up, I don't think it's crazy at all. In fact, I think there is a chance we do this.

A real franchise QB is not made on draft day.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Can we just see what we REALLY have in Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson first for one year before we start filling the board about drafting a new franchise QB?

Next years QB draft class should be miles better than this years.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Unless someone blows or totally underwhelms, I don't care about QB Pro Days at all. Those types of workouts are custom made for the QB to thrive in.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB pro day are setup to make the kid look great. remember the infamous Alex Smith was so good the scouts gave him a standing ovation pro day? It turned out they were standing because there was nowhere for them to sit. Scouts were so skeptical due to the scripting that even the 49ers had him come in for a separate workout that they had some control over. They still picked him but all reports were the 2nd workout was less impressive because he had to do things he didn't want to do.

Clausen is taylor made for a workout, he's been coached by a pro since 8th grade, he's been grooming for this for 7 years. That's why most see him as the most pro ready to come in and play. It's also why he has less room for improvement than the other guys.

The thing on Clausen is it's not the arm that people question, it's what is between the ears. The reason you see comments like he's matured in the last year is because he was VERY immature before that. Hopefully for his sake he has matured, if he hasn't he's going to be a young kid with lots of money and little supervision which could be a train wreck.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Pro days are really useless. They are just a more scripted combine, which we all know is useless. Hell, if I had 3 months to prepare I bet I could go out and have an impressive pro day.

I agree, put the game film on & decide can he play or not. Decisions most always should be about playing the game of football.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard