Jeff Casteel Hired as DC

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Looked good tonight.

Sure did. That's a he'll of an offense they shut down and it's tough to keep the D motivated when you throw down 70.

Pretty excited myself. Gotta believe Richrod felt something watching his last three schools in the BCS this past two days (UM, WVU, and Clemson) and hopefully it was motivation.

Feels like the dawn of something special, doesn't it?

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that we haven't had an official confirmation of this as of yet? Or have we and I've just totally missed it?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that we haven't had an official confirmation of this as of yet? Or have we and I've just totally missed it?

Casteel is in Tucson this weekend.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
So the only non-East Coast coaching hire on Rich Rod's staff is the OL coach? Sounds kinda iffy.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So the only non-East Coast coaching hire on Rich Rod's staff is the OL coach? Sounds kinda iffy.

Bringing back Anae was more for recruiting purposes, IMO. Every west coast staff needs at least one guy who can recruit Pacific Islanders.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
It's official...finally.

Rodriguez Completes Coaching Staff
Jeff Casteel hired as defensive coordinator, three others sign on...
Jan. 11, 2012

(NOTE: Rodriguez will introduce Casteel at a news conference in McKale Center at 11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 13. It can be viewed at arizonawildcats.com here: live link.)

TUCSON, Ariz.--Arizona’s Rich Rodriguez completed his football coaching staff today with the appointment of Jeff Casteel to defensive coordinator, David Lockwood as a defensive backs coach, Bill Kirelawich as defensive line coach and Spencer Leftwich as tight ends coach.

Casteel, Lockwood and Kirelawich come from similar posts at West Virginia University and Leftwich joins Rodriguez’s staff from the offensive line position at Pittsburgh. Casteel and Kirelawich worked under Rodriguez during his tenure as head coach at WVU.

“We are very excited to have Jeff, David, Bill and Spencer, and their families, join our family here at the University of Arizona. They are not only great coaches, but great people who bring a lot of quality experience and knowledge to our staff,” Rodriguez said.

Casteel has been defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at West Virginia since 2003 and spent the season before that in Morgantown as co-coordinator. He worked with the defensive line at WVU in 2001 and as defensive ends coach at UTEP in 2000.

He was Rivals’ defensive coordinator of the year in 2010 when WVU finished third in the nation in total defense, second in rushing defense, third in scoring defense and second in sacks per game. His 2007 unit also posted top 10 marks at No. 7 in total defense and No. 8 in scoring defense.

West Virginia finished in the nation’s top 15 in total defense three of the last seven years and four of those years checked in with a top 15 scoring defense figure.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011112aaa.html