Votes: 26 52.0%
  • LAC

Votes: 24 48.0%

• Total voters

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one wanted to face a healthy Lakers team. And we didn't. I thought it was clear watching them play the Warriors that the Lakers we were going to face were a far cry from the team that started out strong. I thought we might sweep them in the first round and still believe we would have if CP hadn't had the shoulder problem.

Keep in mind the Lakers were just a few percentage points behind the league leading Jazz and a full 4 games ahead of us back when they were mostly healthy. They were 21-6 when Davis was injured in the Denver game, from that game on they went 21-24 the rest of the season. We faced the 21-24 team.

And to be clear, I feel no sympathy for LA or any of the other teams at less than full strength. How many times have we lost a key player to injury either in the playoffs or leading up to it? Far too many times to count. I don't wish injuries on any opponents but I'll happily take any good fortune that comes our way even if it's because other teams suffered through injury issues.

The point, no team wanted to chance playing the Lakers in the playoffs.

It was unknown Anthony Davis would go down in the series. Even then the Suns had to play Lebron and company and face one of the best defenses in the NBA.

Even without Anthony Davis, the Lakers were a formidable opponent.

I don't recall teams saying, I want to play the Lakers. Quite the opposite and it was the sentiment by many on this forum.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Jazz backcourt is banged up. I can't see them staying with Book/Paul. They would be able to light up the Jazz with their midrange game.

I will take the Jazz.

But if we get the Clips, we got homecourt which could be a huge deal in that series.

Either way, I like our chances.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every step of the way so far we got the matchup we did NOT want.

We wanted the Warriors not the Lakers.
We wanted the Blazers not the Nuggets.

I need to stop doubting this team. They are playing their best basketball of the year and since January they have been the best team in the league.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point, no team wanted to chance playing the Lakers in the playoffs.

It was unknown Anthony Davis would go down in the series. Even then the Suns had to play Lebron and company and face one of the best defenses in the NBA.

Even without Anthony Davis, the Lakers were a formidable opponent.

I don't recall teams saying, I want to play the Lakers. Quite the opposite and it was the sentiment by many on this forum.

Okay, this part is true. Just like almost none of us want to face a healthy Nets team so we'd hope for someone else because they could well end up healthy come the finals. But I wouldn't lose sleep over the prospect of facing them, the odds of them being healthy aren't looking so great right now. I felt similarly about the possibility of a Lakers matchup, worried more about the possibility of what team they'd actually be than the possibility of facing them.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't put any stock in subjective "power rankings," but I do think that some of the purely analytical team strength ratings have value. 538's feels over-controlled to me and doesn't have much of a track record, but Jeff Sagarin of USA Today has been doing this forever with a less fussy approach. Here's his top six as of Monday morning:

Jazz
Suns
Clippers
76ers
Bucks
Nets

(Obviously those are playing strengths, not championship probabilities, since the Nuggets' championship probability is zero.)

Sagarin also has a rating that's weighted more toward recent play, and the list there is

Suns
76ers
Bucks
Nets
Clippers
Jazz

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Utah. Simply for one reason. If the Suns are good enough to get to the finals I don't want there to be any doubt we went through the best teams in the West to get there.

I know there will be doubters still but if you defeated the ex-champes, the MVP of the league and the team that holds the best record?

Gives me a ton of ammo to tell the doubters to STHU.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I want Utah. Simply for one reason. If the Suns are good enough to get to the finals I don't want there to be any doubt we went through the best teams in the West to get there.

I know there will be doubters still but if you defeated the ex-champes, the MVP of the league and the team that holds the best record?

Gives me a ton of ammo to tell the doubters to STHU.
Meh, you win a championship you win a championship. Few fans remember the circumstances that lead you there. The fans of the team enjoy the ride regardless of who they play or how they won and everyone else is just jealous.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, you win a championship you win a championship. Few fans remember the circumstances that lead you there. The fans of the team enjoy the ride regardless of who they play or how they won and everyone else is just jealous.

Don't get me wrong. I won't buy into any of the garbage. I am talking about the people in the media or other fans who are going to go out of their way to point out circumstances. It will happen 100%. If you want to be the best you play the best and let the chips fall.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
True, I would bet most people outside of the fan base don't remember. However, inside the fan base we can provide you intricate details... especially in a championship starved Arizona fan base.

For example, I'll never forget UofA's 1997 men's basketball championship run where they beat 3 #1's. I bet many on this board could name all 3 without looking. I can name all 6 teams we played without looking (I can also name many of the first round exit opponent's we suffered through... ugh, thank goodness for '97).

I would also bet many of us can name every team the Suns played in the '93 run even though we didn't win.

I'm hoping that in the future we can all still name who we beat in this year's championship run.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
True, I would bet most people outside of the fan base don't remember. However, inside the fan base we can provide you intricate details... especially in a championship starved Arizona fan base.

For example, I'll never forget UofA's 1997 men's basketball championship run where they beat 3 #1's. I bet many on this board could name all 3 without looking. I can name all 6 teams we played without looking (I can also name many of the first round exit opponent's we suffered through... ugh, thank goodness for '97).

I would also bet many of us can name every team the Suns played in the '93 run even though we didn't win.

I'm hoping that in the future we can all still name who we beat in this year's championship run.
True. And it’s fun for recollection. But it wouldn’t impact my enjoyment of the run or my recollection.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No team is looking forward to playing the Suns right now.

Actually just saw Marcellus Wiley who is a Clippers fan very happy they will get to play the Suns calling it an easier series once they finish off the Jazz. Of course I think he is way over confident about the Clippers beating the Jazz as well.

Everyone is still understimating the Suns it appears.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually just saw Marcellus Wiley who is a Clippers fan very happy they will get to play the Suns calling it an easier series once they finish off the Jazz. Of course I think he is way over confident about the Clippers beating the Jazz as well.

Everyone is still understimating the Suns it appears.

Let 'em underestimate us and we'll just keep busting ass.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Yep. Toronto is probably the most recent exhibit A. Healthy teams have an advantage, and there have been a lot of injuries to star players this year. Brooklyn has quickly become a mess. The Suns beat the Lakers without Davis, and then Denver without Murray. You play who you play and move on. Fortunately CP3's shoulder issue hasn't been more severe.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Toronto is probably the most recent exhibit A. Healthy teams have an advantage, and there have been a lot of injuries to star players this year. Brooklyn has quickly become a mess. The Suns beat the Lakers without Davis, and then Denver without Murray. You play who you play and move on. Fortunately CP3's shoulder issue hasn't been more severe.

as people talk about the Warriors dynasty snd one of the best teams ever, they don’t mention that their first title happened against The Cavs who lost Kyrie AND Kevin Love in the Finals, or Kawhi in Game 1 of the WCF or CP3, up 3-2 in the WCF.

Every team gets brakes on the road to the Finals and usually the healthiest team at the end of the year wins.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If he’s not playing at this point of the series I doubt he’ll ever be fully healthy for the playoffs.