Jalen Smith

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Posted this on another board, but here are their rankings for Suns first rounders since 2015.

2015 - Booker: B MISS
2016 - Bender: A MISS
2016 - Chriss: B MISS
2017 - Jackson: A- MISS
2018 - Ayton: B+ HIT
2018 - Bridges: C- MISS
2019 - Johnson: D MISS
2019 - Jerome: A MISS
That’s pretty funny.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from Flex about Jalen Smith.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was thinking if they do eventually move him to the 5, with his 3 point shot, he might remind of us of a guy in Denver that isn't really that athletic, too!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was thinking if they do eventually move him to the 5, with his 3 point shot, he might remind of us of a guy in Denver that isn't really that athletic, too!

Smith is more athletic than Jokic, but nowhere near the passer.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
10. Phoenix Suns: Jalen Smith, F/C, Maryland
The Suns clearly don’t believe in draft ranges, that’s for sure. A year after shocking the NBA draft community by taking Cam Johnson at no. 11, they did it again with Smith, who was ranked no. 17 on The Ringer’s big board. There are more than a few similarities between the two players. Both are 3-and-D prospects with great size and big question marks surrounding every other part of their game. Shot-blocking centers with legitimate 3-point range aren’t quite as unusual as they used to be, but players like Smith are still fairly uncommon. The question is how much he can play as a power forward next to Deandre Ayton. Otherwise the Suns just used a top-10 pick on someone who can only play 15 minutes per game on their roster.

Yeah they don’t need two rim protectors on the floor at once. I guess you could have Ayton guard stretch 4s on the perimeter with Jalen inside. I guess if Jalen can stretch the floor then it’d work. I think this pick was more to have a rotational guy than a potential star.

Like Cam, low ceiling, high floor.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

not even close to the same player. Jokic is a wizard with the ball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they don’t need two rim protectors on the floor at once. I guess you could have Ayton guard stretch 4s on the perimeter with Jalen inside. I guess if Jalen can stretch the floor then it’d work. I think this pick was more to have a rotational guy than a potential star.

Like Cam, low ceiling, high floor.

I've seen this from more than one poster here and I don't know why. By "low ceiling" do you really mean low or just not high? Granted I have very little first hand information about him but from highlight videos and scouting reports it sure seems to me that, at worst case, his ceiling goes well above "low".

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His game, stats-wise, is more reminiscent of Ibaka than anyone else. He gets those stats a little differently. Ibaka plays a little more controlled game. Smith has a nice repeatable shooting stroke that should translate to the NBA three well.

He needs to add strength, which he can do with NBA training.
He needs a better defensive skill set, especially on the perimeter. However DA does well on the perimeter. He and DA should be able to play together.

There were not superstars available in this draft--maybe Haliburton becomes a Brogdon type of guard. So getting a player who will actually contribute is probably ok.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the ceiling/floor terminology but I think Jalen Smith has a high ceiling (upside) and is skilled enough to play now.

I also view him as a rotation player at the 4/5 going forward until he gets stronger. One thing Smith does really well is shoot but his game is much more than that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the ceiling/floor terminology but I think Jalen Smith has a high ceiling (upside) and is skilled enough to play now.

I also view him as a rotation player at the 4/5 going forward until he gets stronger. One thing Smith does really well is shoot but his game is much more than that.
He is going to play right away--just like Cam Johnson barring injury. James Jones drafts players that he has the confidence to play now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is going to play right away--just like Cam Johnson barring injury. James Jones drafts players that he has the confidence to play now.

Smith is very skilled. The most pressing issue is strength. I like the way he runs the court.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Smith is very skilled. The most pressing issue is strength. I like the way he runs the court.
Lower body strength is apparently one of the big areas he has been focusing on in the offseason thus far. Keep in mind it has also been a long offseason so we may see a much stronger player already in year 1.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower body strength is apparently one of the big areas he has been focusing on in the offseason thus far. Keep in mind it has also been a long offseason so we may see a much stronger player already in year 1.

If Smith can get stronger that's the main issue as I see it. IMO, that's about the only thing holding him back from reaching his potential.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The athletic had some of the lowest grades on Smith coming into the draft, but they had this to say in one of their articles after the draft.
Let’s be clear here: the Suns are absolutely not alone in having Smith in the top 10. I talked to multiple teams, both pre- and post-draft, who said that they thought Smith has one of the highest upsides of any player in the 2020 draft. Those teams had him in a similar range to Phoenix. Maybe James Jones is out here playing chess while I’m playing checkers. After all, I was not particularly a fan of the Cam Johnson pick last year, and that has worked out well thus far
https://theathletic.com/2208000/202...-and-what-i-liked-and-didnt-in-the-nba-draft/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Smith can get stronger that's the main issue as I see it. IMO, that's about the only thing holding him back from reaching his potential.
He also needs to work on hip flexibility. Yoga and a good stretching routine can work wonders. I know it sounds sissy like, but it is amazing what a difference loosening up the hips makes.

I think the goggles are a problem too. Lasik or contacts might greatly improve his vision and balance.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listened to the Empire of the Suns podcast this morning and they made an interesting player comparison of Channing Frye.

I was surprised to see that Channing barely shot the 3 in college so Smith appears to be ahead of him there and is a better rebounder. Channing was a 4 year college player too. Smith appears to be ahead of Channing after only 2 years.

You must be registered for see images attach

The one concern would be fit. Channing was at his best as a small ball, stretch 5. Could prime Channing and DA play together with Channing as the stretch 4? Is a tougher Channing Frye the ceiling for Smith?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listened to the Empire of the Suns podcast this morning and they made an interesting player comparison of Channing Frye.

I was surprised to see that Channing barely shot the 3 in college so Smith appears to be ahead of him there and is a better rebounder. Channing was a 4 year college player too. Smith appears to be ahead of Channing after only 2 years.

The one concern would be fit. Channing was at his best as a small ball, stretch 5. Could prime Channing and DA play together with Channing as the stretch 4? Is a tougher Channing Frye the ceiling for Smith?

he’s way more physical than Frye and he’s a better athlete

but a tougher more physical Frye could be a really productive player for a long time

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man I hope that’s true. In my opinion that’s his biggest weakness.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He also needs to work on hip flexibility. Yoga and a good stretching routine can work wonders. I know it sounds sissy like, but it is amazing what a difference loosening up the hips makes.

I think the goggles are a problem too. Lasik or contacts might greatly improve his vision and balance.
Kareem did fine with goggles!! :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Espo said that an insider told him before the draft that Smith was top 5 on James Jones draft board. Espo said he thought the guy was lying.

If Smith was top 5, then this pick was never in doubt. He was going to be there and the other 4 would surely be gone. We will see.

Casey Jacobsen's evaluation is interesting here. He said that he watched Smith live about 10 times covering Big Ten basketball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson