Jake Rudock

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Arz101 asked me to come up with some backup QBs who might be worth trading for and the first one who comes to mind is Jake Rudock of the Lions. I saw a few of the Lions' pre-season games this year and i was very impressed with Rudock. Strong pocket presence---good, live arm, and solid feet that allow him to escape the pocket.

Rudock played at Iowa and then was eligible to play for one year at Michigan. His one year at Michigan was a good one: 2015 249/389/3,017/64.0%/20/9/141.5QBR. Finished his season as the MVP of the Citrus Bowl (20/31/278/3TDs). Rudock actually set a Michigan record for passing of more than 250 yards in 5 consecutive games.

The Lions drafted him in the 6th round of the 2016 draft.

Rudock's strong pre-season enabled him to beat out the Lions' 2017 6th round pick Brad Kaaya for the #2 job. They wound up releasing Kaaya in favor of going with just Matthew Stafford and Rudock.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Third string is fine but we still have not the starter and his back up

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Third string is fine but we still have not the starter and his back up

Not thinking 3rd string at all with Rudock. Potential starter. Teammates in Detroit think that.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Nice thought Mitch.Too bad too many here are easily dazzled by big names.If Cards QBOF isn`t available in RD 1 who do you think could fit the role in RD2 or 3.I know Kyle Laulleta has been mentioned.What about Luke Falk or Kurt Benkert?IfRosen ,Darnold,Rudolph,Mayfield ,Jackson and Allen could possibly be gone before pick#15.I am not sold on Mike White from WKU as more thaan a solid backup .
As for Chase Litton,Tanner Lee,Riley Ferguson,Nic Shimonek all look like 2nd tier QBs who have potential but probably a little more development time might be needed.WWhat say you Mitch?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rudock's strong pre-season enabled him to beat out the Lions' 2017 6th round pick Brad Kaaya for the #2 job. They wound up releasing Kaaya in favor of going with just Matthew Stafford and Rudock.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just some input on the "beating out Brad Kaaya" endorsement. Brad Kaaya is horrible. He was drafted on the recommendation of his ex U of Miami HC, Al Golden, who is the TE coach on the Lions. Al Golden may be the worst evaluator of talent the NCAA football world has ever seen. He's the guy who ran Olsen Pierre off the Miami roster. Beating out Kaaya for the backup role is not glowing on its own. Tyhen there is the over rated QB guru Jim Harbaugh. Just my insight which may be off base.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Just some input on the "beating out Brad Kaaya" endorsement. Brad Kaaya is horrible. He was drafted on the recommendation of his ex U of Miami HC, Al Golden, who is the TE coach on the Lions. Al Golden may be the worst evaluator of talent the NCAA football world has ever seen. He's the guy who ran Olsen Pierre off the Miami roster. Beating out Kaaya for the backup role is not glowing on its own. Tyhen there is the over rated QB guru Jim Harbaugh. Just my insight which may be off base.

Yes, beating out Kaaya was no great coup. And Rudock beat him out by a mile.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I follow Iowa...my dad grew up in Marshalltown. Iowa QB's are not flashy...they just win games.

Mark in soggy Charleston, S.C. :)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Excellent post Mitch because the Foles and Keenums where once what Rudock is. The catch is to find the diamond in the rough which is still playing in the league before they get a chance to show their full worth

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn