Is it possible Wilks was WORSE than we were thinking all along?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont think that interview was enlightening when it comes to Steve Wilks. He is who he is, and had his reasons. What stands out to me in that interview is how well spoken and humble Buccanon is. That guy gets it and I really hope he is back. That was a great interview.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Bidwill's interview was bad enough ... this is ... wow.

https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/deone-bucannon-nfl-free-agent

Heard that too.

He was trying hard to be respectful. But he had one slip up.

To paraphrase, the hosts asked Deone if Wilks was still the coach if he would be leaving the Cardinals.

Deone said yea......uh well, blah, blah blah.

Translation, if Wilks was still the coach I would be out of here.

I am not sure how much worse a coach can be, when he is already HISTORICALLY bad, and the stats back that up.

But, then you things like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...s-over-coaching-hires/?utm_term=.7205ce99084f

In the name of equality and fairness, it would do a disservice to that topic to keep Wilks just because of his race, when performing so poorly at his job. To state it one more time, HISTORICALLY BAD, for any coach of any race.

I am not saying there are not examples of "white privilege" and I am certainly not trying to say there is no reason to bring up the topic. I am saying Steve Wilks would be the WORST example to use as proof, and that is all.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
He wasn't ready and the late hire meant he wasn't able to get his first choice for most of his staff (according to Ian Rapaport).
At least the Cardinals get a great chance to reload.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
DBuc has been labeled as one "who cares" so it hurt him to be benched by Wilks. But then again, many on this board ripped DBuc saying 'he suxs' when he was just being misused by Wilks.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It will be a surprise if Wilks is not a positional coach in 4-5 years.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your thread asks if it's possible that Wilks was even worse than what we thought? For me, I would say NO. By halftime of our opener, I had seen enough to KNOW that he was the least prepared HC in Cardinal history, and needed to be replaced asap. Now, on the surface, that sounds a bit premature. I didn't dare say that on this board, or I would have been criticized for being too hasty in my judgment. I'm not sure I have ever seen a team open at home in front of a rabid full house, touting a new coach, new smash mouth approach, and yet get totally embarrassed. A below average Skins team put up 22 first downs in the 1st half on what we thought was the strength of our team. By game's end, we had a sum total of 4 first downs. That just isn't possible. The 85 Bears couldn't do that to even the worst of offenses in their era. And yet, an average Redskin D did exactly that. I can't even imagine what could have possibly been running through MB & SK's heads at halftime of that game. Michael has far more patience than his Dad did. Had that happened under Bill's watch, Wilks may have been fired after 1 game. I sincerely mean that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
DBuc has been labeled as one "who cares" so it hurt him to be benched by Wilks. But then again, many on this board ripped DBuc saying 'he suxs' when he was just being misused by Wilks.

Agreed, and good points.

I stand by my comments that Deone is not an ILBer, is not as good as the hype around him, and is a huge liability in the run game.

Yet, I find the interview was telling, and Mike Bidwill said he was not happy Bucannon was benched last year.

To clarify my comments, it was that Bucannon would not have any interest in coming back if Wilks was here, which is showing the players were not buying into what Wilks is selling, and that Wilks' reasons for benching Becannon is a big reason why he is fired.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, and good points.

I stand by my comments that Deone is not an ILBer, is not as good as the hype around him, and is a huge liability in the run game.

Yet, I find the interview was telling, and Mike Bidwill said he was not happy Bucannon was benched last year.

To clarify my comments, it was that Bucannon would not have any interest in coming back if Wilks was here, which is showing the players were not buying into what Wilks is selling, and that Wilks' reasons for benching Becannon is a big reason why he is fired.
it tells me that the benched player would not want to be back, I wouldn't let it speak for the whole roster.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
it tells me that the benched player would not want to be back, I wouldn't let it speak for the whole roster.

True.

I would let the play of the team for the entire last 3/4 of the season speak for it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True.

I would let the play of the team for the entire last 3/4 of the season speak for it.
We can leap to logic that the team was bad and the players would prefer a new coach but a benched player stating he wouldn't want that coach anymore is because he was benched.

If billicheck benched him he would want to leave NE too.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Under Wilks Pat Peterson did not make the pro bowl (and wanted to be traded), and Deone became a non-factor. That is pretty damning. I do believe that Wilks epitaph was written the day that it came out that Peterson wanted to be traded.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes!! I tried to show the man some grace all season. However, in his final presser he was asked about the end of the first half when Rosen took the sack to run out the clock and potentially lose the cards 3 pts as they were in FG range at that point. He said they were trying to get a play downfield , and I quote, " maybe draw a pi inside the 5 yard line " . Like , WHAT!! That to me , knowing the oline issues , is a ridiculous thought. Week one as new coack, ok, but after a full season of ridiculous decisions such as that, shows me he wasnt growing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One path to the Super Bowl is to develop an overly ambitious schematic and structural "shell" and then fill that shell with enough talented players.

(Another path - followed by BA - was to compensate for holes in the roster by stocking positions with one-trick-pony skill players and "risk-it" play calling. BA's approach worked. Wilks' approach didn't).

Wilks appears to have followed the first model. Problem was: not enough talented players filling enough roster spots. True we had Fitz, DJ, C Jones and PP21 but only had 2 trustworthy WRs. No stud MLB. Shaky OLB's. No stud TE. Shredded OL. Thin DL depth. No #2 CB. Everything seemed to be safe and solid, but the Cards simply didn't have enough horses to execute Wilks' system.

Result: Lack of talent executing boring game plans resulting in an embarrasing string of losses.

Last edited:

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Your thread asks if it's possible that Wilks was even worse than what we thought? For me, I would say NO. By halftime of our opener, I had seen enough to KNOW that he was the least prepared HC in Cardinal history, and needed to be replaced asap. Now, on the surface, that sounds a bit premature. I didn't dare say that on this board, or I would have been criticized for being too hasty in my judgment. I'm not sure I have ever seen a team open at home in front of a rabid full house, touting a new coach, new smash mouth approach, and yet get totally embarrassed. A below average Skins team put up 22 first downs in the 1st half on what we thought was the strength of our team. By game's end, we had a sum total of 4 first downs. That just isn't possible. The 85 Bears couldn't do that to even the worst of offenses in their era. And yet, an average Redskin D did exactly that. I can't even imagine what could have possibly been running through MB & SK's heads at halftime of that game. Michael has far more patience than his Dad did. Had that happened under Bill's watch, Wilks may have been fired after 1 game. I sincerely mean that.

I think I broke my thumb liking this post so hard.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One path to the Super Bowl is to develop an overly ambitious schematic and structural "shell" and then fill that shell with enough talented players.

(Another path - followed by BA - was to compensate for holes in the roster by stocking positions with one-trick-pony skill players and "risk-it" play calling. BA's approach worked. Wilks' approach didn't).

Wilks appears to have followed the first model. Problem was: not enough talented players filling enough roster spots. True we had Fitz, DJ, C Jones and PP21 but only had 2 trustworthy WRs. No stud MLB. Shaky OLB's. No stud TE. Shredded OL. Thin DL depth. No #2 CB. Everything seemed to be safe and solid, but the Cards simply didn't have enough horses to execute Wilks' system.

Result: Lack of talent executing boring game plans resulting in an embarrasing string of losses.

No Wilks has only one system and the System needed something that we didn't have, 2 good CB and 3 ILB that can stop the run ...

And no, by week 2 everyone knew who we had as HC, many were in disbelieve or hoped they were wrong.

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
Agreed, and good points.

Apparently DJ Humphries said during an appearance on Big Red Rage, the last of the year I believe, that Wilks had ZERO buy in from the team. I was surprised that DJ would admit that publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave