Is it me, or is there the possibility of a few teams passing?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What if this outlandish scenario happened?

I have this feeling that a number of teams might decide to pass on their pick and let others jump ahead.

It seems no one wants to really pay ANY player top money this year. Not many want to trade up, so if you can't trade down, do you pass?

Of course I'm probably wrong, as it IS a wild scenario, but in the last two drafts it has happened (a pick has been passed on).

I can see SF passing, it seems the cheap spenders in the nfl with a red jersey right now are the 49ers. (weird...and I never thought I'd say that)

With all the stuff coming out about how they don't want to take smith because he wants more than e.manning, I think it's a possibility they may pass and wait for someone else to pick before taking a smith, braylon, rodgers, or maybe whoever else is on the board. Some are calling rodgers a bust, so would you want to pick a guy #1, with the amount of money invovled with that label? With this known, why should braylon's agent not play hardball and ask for a huge contract? Do the niners want to pay braylon more than e.manning?

Then the question is, if the niners pass, what will the dolphins do? I know they just got rid of surtain, but will they want to pay top money to brown or whoever else they want?(which is what they would have to do because he would be their pick, and it would be the #1 player picked, if this happened) (I'm not sure, and I guess part of my argument is predicated upon this, but aren't they in a little cap trouble, they're under but not by that much. Could they afford the #1 pick money? So if this happens, would they pass to? Especially with the collective barganing agreement changing the dynamics of how long the bonus can be spread.

Its a longshot, but could all the parameters be in place for a draft where a few of the top 10 teams pass, and wait around...I mean if two or three teams pass would the bears want to pay top one or two money for a player they wanted at 4? Would any of the players above them be someone they want? Could they end up taking a ronnie brown at #1 after the first three pass?

What a wild draft it would be if say the niners and miami, were waiting for cleveland, and chicago to pick before trying to get their picks in say before tampa bay, tenessee, minnesota, and arizona pick their players.

What happens with the rookie salary cap which was set for their respective positions if say cleveland had say (numbers for illustration only) a 5 mill rookie cap set and since the niners and/or miami pass (because of no consensus of top player and therefore don't want to spend the money) and all of a sudden they in essence pick #1 and have to pay that pool....would they be over the cap (if not, what if this happened to a team where that excess would put them over the cap).

I know I am 'pulling at straws', but I can see this happening in this draft far more than in any other draft I've seen, and with the recent history of a team passing, it isn't totally out of line.

But because of the nature of how draft experts see this draft, could a passing or two create a ripple effect where other teams say....you pass...ok fine...we're not picking until you do...

OR at least some other team does pick to fill the spots above them passed...then they say 'we'll pick'....and then if this happens with a few teams...there could be a huge rush to the podium or the guy in the backroom where we'll have a rush of 4-5 picks in a row trying to beat the other team once the first selection or two are made to 'break the ice'.

I just can see this scenario as a possibility...and I never would have in other years...

Does this make sense to you all? I'm no expert, but it is an intriguing possibility...and what a wild draft it would be. What do you think?

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That just leads to holdouts as it did with Minnesota and McKinnie. if you pass, whoever you wind up picking will ask for the slot money at teh spot you passed at.

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
That just leads to holdouts as it did with Minnesota and McKinnie. if you pass, whoever you wind up picking will ask for the slot money at teh spot you passed at.

You're right, I'm just trying to focus on a scenario where a number of teams do this, and therefore really throw a wrench into the system. It would be a fun thing to watch. Also to keep in mind is the CBA and the years the bonus can be spread is reduced. Could affect something.

What would happen with trades then....if after someone passed would they want to trade up for someone picking at 6 or 7 because they want someone who is rated at #3r or 4? After a flurry the team that trades to try to beat these other teams could get burned, or steal away someone. Maybe from us?

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if the 49ers pass and then the Dolphins pass and then the 49ers make their selection? Would that be considered the #3 overall pick?
:D

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
They should do an auction draft, using the rookie pool allocated based on how draft positions are assigned now. Also, the rookies contact would have some correlation to the auction price they went for.

Now that would be really interesting.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The NFL has said they would crackdown on any team purposely not turning in a pick on time and therefore passing on their slot. Wonder what the penalty would be? I guess the Vikings somehow convinced the league they were truly inept (not just passing on their slot on purpose) when they didn't get their pick in on time.

seesred

Reaction score
For very team that wants to trade down there are teams who will want to trade up. My Father once told me that everything and everyone has their price. If you want out of the number 3 pick with a team holding a 20 plus pick you might settle for a pick next year or in the lower rounds to trade down. Take the Henry deal. The Bills want to trade 2 round picks in that they would move up plus Shelton for Henry. If both siders want this deal to fly there are many alternatives that would make it so.

GBR
In Green we trust