Interviewed & Hired Yesterday

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
Interviewed Yesterday at Denver East High School for position on a Coaching staff that includes a New Varsity Coach. I'll be head coach & Defensive Coordinator of the freshman team. I'll also work closely with JR Varsity & Varsity player development. Very confident that I will be on Varsity within a year or two. It's something I've always wanted to do, however I'm torn. My Fiance' & I are expecting our daughter April 22nd 2004. I want to be around to support mom & child as much as possible. Like most here I work (yeah right!!!) a fulltime job as well. (not at the high school) Fiance is very supportive, but I want to be fair & not burden her with all the duties of motherhood... spring practice starts May 1st.....what to do???? what to do???

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As Joseph Campbell says: "Follow your bliss".

At worst it can only be a great "bonding" experience. :thumbup:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
See how it goes. You can always resign if it becomes too much. But try first. Sounds like your lady is a good one!

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
what's up big daddy? we met at the lions opening game last year. i've actually got a really similar problem. my wife and i are expecting in early september, and i have a job interview with an airline next week. if i get the job offer, i'm going to be gone a lot, but i've always wanted to do it. it's a tough one, i know man. i think you have to try it out first, and then change things if you need to. you'll regret it later.

OP
OP
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
Wiz:Yes I did accept the offer. Been getting very positive feedback from expecting mother so I decided to give it a try!!! Fortunate for me 12 kids from my senior team last year are enrolling at East High as Freshmen. If your in Denver this Fall give me a shout & I'll invite you out to see us!!!! thanks for asking :thumbup:

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Ah...the Denver East High School Angels...the alma mater of my all-time favorite basketball player - Joe Barry Carroll.

No, I'm NOT kidding.

OP
OP
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
Actor Don Cheadle, & Actress Pam Greer also attended East. My son played Don Pedro in his school play??? 2 years ago titled "Much to do about nothing" :shrug: don't ask but I'll certainly be encouraging him to join the drama club...Secondary to football of course :D

DRVNFAST

Homey don't play that!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know that my brother and I will come check out a few games.

Is you're son planning on playing on you're freshman team?

OP
OP
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
It's a big adjustment. Kids practice everyday :shrug: kinda feel like it's overkill, but the kids don't complain. Much of that has to do with the newborn being at home, & me wanting to go strait home from work. But it's my plan to implement a mandatory study hall in lieu of one of the practice days once school starts. I get to coach the Freshmen & JV Team which is a total of 20 games this year not counting scrimmages. It's cool I'm studying film & restructuring my playbook. Yes my son Is playing on both the freshman & JV team!!! but he's yet to attend a practice as he has a job!!! :thumbup: You guys are more than welcome to come out & watch as we try to build some winning tradition at Denver East High. BTW Wiz .. Pat Holloway is no longer coaching at GW as his work schedule has created confilct. Thanks for inquiring.....

OP
OP
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
What's up WIZ???? Practices are Fun. I'm actually impressed with the work habits of most of the kids. We issue pads monday the 16th, (first day of school as well) the first game is Friday night Sept 3rd vs The Brighton Bulldogs. Will update games all season.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is East anywhere near Gateway Spartans (is that right?)? My friend went there when I lived out there. Chauncy Billups used to be at the Aurora mall alot when he was still in HS there.

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
Yeah, you J.V. guys are always saying just one more year.........HA! Good luck with your season, I am sure that if it is a true passion, you will be able to juggle a surprising amount. Just as a speaker from experience, I worked full time, have three kids (3 years, 2 years, and 5 months) and a great wife, plus attended (and finished with a 4.0) graduate school. So anything is possible, if you put your mind to it!! Just a side note, I also was asked by my highschool guidance counselor if I had ever planned on graduating highschool when I was suppose to. Hope this puts the whole thing into context.

I know you'll do fine.

:thumbup:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
When I get out of college and teach at a high school I really want to coach football. However I never really played and have never coached so it may be difficult. Might have to volunteer at popwarner level for a few years :)

OP
OP
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
SameOle Gee (did you get that name from Ginuine???) ;) East high is directly accross from city Park in Denver. I watched Chauncey grow up. He was my size (6-1) in the eighth grade. I coach Basketball also & while in Vegas a few weeks ago at a tournament, we played the 5 city Lakers out of Cali & beat them by 30. I told my cousin who lives in La & is a big Lakers & Raiders fan that(Chauncey Billups little home boys ,beat Shaq & Kobe's little home boys just Like the Pistons kicked the Lakers @sses!!!

Jeff: the coach of the 10 yr olds in the youth organization that I manage runs the Single Wing offense. No one seems to know how to stop it either as he's been to 2 strait super bowls using it :thumbup:

Thanks TXCArdinals fan: Thanks for the encouraging words. It just does'nt seem to be enough hrs in a day, to keep everyone around me satisfied :shrug: After all the years of volunteering it is kinda sweet to finally get paid for it ;)

HeavyB: Don't let that stop you. attend coaching seminars, read coaching books ,study some game tapes. I was fortunate to have played, but many people who have played are not made for coaching. it's all about how you interact & motivate kids....good luck!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
HS coaching Debut tonight

We finally take the field tonight. We've played 2 scrimmages to date, & looked good in both. I'll post the results tomorrow. :x :x :x (that's my game face)........