interview now on 1060 AM - Warner is airborne on private jet

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One word: Posturing

I have no doubt SF has intentions of signing him, but Warner is playing his cards. We'll see what happens, no need to panic yet. He will at least give the Cards a chance to match...

I'm not panicing.I hope he goes to the 9ers.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
FYI....Kemp and the Reporter were speculating...they may tell him the offer is only good if he signs it on the spot - no going back to the Cardinals...offer would only be valid for that one day.

OK.....that may backfire on them.....

I think the Christian connection between Singletary and Warner...will be very hard to overcome. Remember Warner saying last year that he invited his teammates (cardinals) over to his house and alot of them did not come because they thought he might try to preach to them or something??? Kurt may feel really comfortable with the 49ers and their coach...or their coach specifically.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, St. Pierre was a great early signing. :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His teams really don't improve either.

That's why I'm "torn" on the subject. The thing is an alcholic beverage once in awhile is not harmful and might in fact be a good thing. Snyder never puts the bottle down so obviously it's not the proper approach.

So my thought is does a team do this kind of thing for certain players or never ever consider it. A QB may be when it's time to break the rule. A QB who is 38yrs old, helped a team get to the SB, is a 2 time NFL MVP, has the record for the most 300 yd games in the SB, played with one arm in a season, has done what many considered the impossible and help the Cards get to the SB, who is a model citizen, who..........you all get the idea.

Maybe this is why KW's feelings are "hurt". He know there is a why the Cards can get this done without killing this years CAP.

Like I said I'm torn on this because I don't want the Cards to operate like Snyder and open the crazy contract can of worms.

How many teams do this type of creative CAP work?

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
So...who do we target if Warner signs elsewhere?

We would need an experience backup qb - but those do not cost too much. Will we go after some bigger name free agents if that "allocated" money is available (the Warner money?). If so...who might we be calling that we would not have been calling if Warner had signed?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
One word: Posturing

I have no doubt SF has intentions of signing him, but Warner is playing his cards. We'll see what happens, no need to panic yet. He will at least give the Cards a chance to match...

I'd like to believe he would give the Cardinals a chance to match...but apparently his "feelings have been hurt" and this is the big splash he's wanted, complete with a private jet ride and limo service.

The writing was on the wall and the Cardinals didn't read it...

It was tough to read that yesterday the Cardinals engaged in no discussions with Warner's agent...

That says it all...

Expect Warner to be a 49er by nightfall.

And the worst part of it is...just wait, the Cardinals will be sitting there this year with the extra $5M the Bidwills always save on the cap...

Obviously Warner and his agent were right about his market value...

And the Cardinals tried to take advantage of Warner's insistance that he would play in Arizona or nowhere else.

Once again it just appears that the Cardinal FO is behind the times and does not have the urgency or the practical sense to anticipate what it means to play in this market. They are still way over their heads.

If it weren't for Warner, the Cardinals would never have even had a remote chance of playing in a Super Bowl.

The Cardinals said they didn't want to let Super Bowl emotions get in the way of the way they would negotiate contracts.

If anything Super Bowl emotions should have inspired the way they do contracts, with the idea of making another full fledged two year run to win one.

Instead, it's back to square one...and perhaps even worse because if you think the Cardinals took heat for incompetence before, wait till you see the fallout from this debacle. Once again the Cardinals will be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I think the Christian connection between Singletary and Warner...will be very hard to overcome. Remember Warner saying last year that he invited his teammates (cardinals) over to his house and alot of them did not come because they thought he might try to preach to them or something??? Kurt may feel really comfortable with the 49ers and their coach...or their coach specifically.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. If you believe that, I've got some swamp land in Florida I'd like to sell you.

This is about $ and nothing else.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Warner to the 49ers is as bad as it can get. Not only are they in our division, they are obviously our most serious rivals for next season.

There is no way this can be spun in a positive light. You can vilify Warner, you can vilify our front office but that really doesn't matter. What matters is that on March 2nd, the 49ers got better at QB and the Cards got worse at QB.

And, yes, I'm writing off Warner. The 49ers are doing exactly what they should do to land him. Got to tip my hat to them, it's going to be quite a coup for them.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
Renz....the reporter brought it up and thought it would have a factor...Or so I remember...if not this reporter - I heard it on another report this morning on local radio - I am getting my radio shows mixed up a little.

yes...it is more about the money...but Singletary would clearly make Kurt feel comfortable pretty fast. This cannot hurt.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
They will probably sell Warner on maybe being able to play longer because he can hand the ball off more - per the reporter.

They didnt do their homework on Warner at all did they. That is actually the opposite of what he wants to hear.

If the Niners want to pay him 15 mill a year over 3 years with more gauranteed money then we were offering. More power to you Warner. Just dont expect to have as much fun behind that OL, that OC, that recieving core, outdoors for 8 games in cold wet air.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, you are hilarious! I love when you make all of these grandious statements knowing your track record. I can't wait to read your meltdowns as the day progresses.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Warner to the 49ers is as bad as it can get. Not only are they in our division, they are obviously our most serious rivals for next season.

There is no way this can be spun in a positive light. You can vilify Warner, you can vilify our front office but that really doesn't matter. What matters is that on March 2nd, the 49ers got better at QB and the Cards got worse at QB.

And, yes, I'm writing off Warner. The 49ers are doing exactly what they should do to land him. Got to tip my hat to them, it's going to be quite a coup for them.

Warner does not make the niners better. He's an absolutely terrible fit for their system, and I hope they pay him $15 mill a year because I don't want them spending that money on pieces that COULD actually make them better.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...who do we target if Warner signs elsewhere?

We would need an experience backup qb - but those do not cost too much. Will we go after some bigger name free agents if that "allocated" money is available (the Warner money?). If so...who might we be calling that we would not have been calling if Warner had signed?

The problem is this was a poor group of free agents BEFORE free agency opened up. Now, there really is not much worthwhile to give a contract like the one we offered to Warner.

I'd guess we go ahead and re-do Dockett and Boldin, along with Wilson, in order to try and counter the very negative vibes this is going to send throughout the team and city.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey! Now we can have the roof open at the U of P Stadium!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner does not make the niners better. He's an absolutely terrible fit for their system, and I hope they pay him $15 mill a year because I don't want them spending that money on pieces that COULD actually make them better.

He's better than Shaun Hill in any system except the wishbone.

And, the Niners have a history of not letting things like big contracts and cap limits handcuff them when it comes to free agents.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd like to believe he would give the Cardinals a chance to match...but apparently his "feelings have been hurt" and this is the big splash he's wanted, complete with a private jet ride and limo service.

It was tough to read that yesterday the Cardinals engaged in no discussions with Warner's agent...

That says it all...

And the worst part of it is...just wait, the Cardinals will be sitting there this year with the extra $5M the Bidwills always save on the cap...

And the Cardinals tried to take advantage of Warner's insistance that he would play in Arizona or nowhere else.

Once again it just appears that the Cardinal FO is behind the times and does not have the urgency or the practical sense to anticipate what it means to play in this market. They are still way over their heads.

If it weren't for Warner, the Cardinals would never have even had a remote chance of playing in a Super Bowl.

The Cardinals said they didn't want to let Super Bowl emotions get in the way of the way they would negotiate contracts.

If anything Super Bowl emotions should have inspired the way they do contracts, with the idea of making another full fledged two year run to win one.

Instead, it's back to square one...and perhaps even worse because if you think the Cardinals took heat for incompetence before, wait till you see the fallout from this debacle. Once again the Cardinals will be the laughing stock of the NFL.

We'll have to see how it plays out. If Warner goes to 49ers and plays mediocre and Leinart gets us into the playoffs then we'll come out of it looking pretty good. I don't think they would risk losing Warner if they didn't feel Matt was ready to step in. With the extra money available they can make Q and AW happy.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WARNERWATCH

The blogger thinks Brenda or some blonde went in the building. The blogger yelled at her to come outside because she was making him look stupid. He then called her a panda-jerk. Then he said that Kurt Warner will literally rip your face off.

/WARNERWATCH

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That says it all...

Mitch I love your posts, but you really need to give it a rest. If the Cards pay a 38 year old QB $15million per year then they WOULD be the laughing stock of the NFL. KW is in the wrong here 100%. It's not like he wasn't offered a dair deal.

And everytime people say that "the Cards wouldn't have gone to the Super Bowl without Warner" not only do they trivialize their accomplishments, but they disrespect the players, and coaching staff. This was a special season that was a TEAM effort. It was not one man that got the Cards there, it was a collective effort.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just dont expect to have as much fun behind that OL, that OC, that recieving core, outdoors for 8 games in cold wet air.
:thumbup:
He also will be playing in Seattle, Green Bay, Philadelphia & Houston this year. If he signs.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch I love your posts, but you really need to give it a rest. If the Cards pay a 38 year old QB $15million per year then they WOULD be the laughing stock of the NFL. KW is in the wrong here 100%. It's not like he wasn't offered a dair deal.

And everytime people say that "the Cards wouldn't have gone to the Super Bowl without Warner" not only do they trivialize their accomplishments, but they disrespect the players, and coaching staff. This was a special season that was a TEAM effort. It was not one man that got the Cards there, it was a collective effort.

:notworthy

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Fine and dandy they now have a QB but its a waste of money when your leading reciever is 36 year Bruce who caught a whopping 61 passes last year, and an underwhleming Brandon Jones wont help that. An OL that allowed a horrid 55 sacks to lead the league pass attempts per sack. They allowed their QB to get sacked every 9 pass attempts. Its fine to spend 15 mill on a QB but if h doesnt ahve the tools to be succesfull its a huge waste of money. Kurt will suck in S.F. without a doubt.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every Teams Goal is to win the SB. All the FA moves with the money associated with them is the Front Office telling the owner that this is what we need to go to the dance.

The 49ers are telling their current QB's that "We have a SB caliber team except for you Shaun Hill".
"We believe that all this team needs is a top notch QB and we are willing to give that QB 15 million dollars a year."
"That's right, there is enough talent on this team for us to sign a 38 yr old QB to lots of money because we have all the players we need except for you Shaun Hill".

This is a quite a gamble for the 49ers and why I don't think they are playing a game just to mess with the Cards CAP. If it is a game then they are idiots.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine and dandy they now have a QB but its a waste of money when your leading reciever is 36 year Bruce who caught a whopping 61 passes last year, and an underwhleming Brandon Jones wont help that. An OL that allowed a horrid 55 sacks to lead the league pass attempts per sack. They allowed their QB to get sacked every 9 pass attempts. Its fine to spend 15 mill on a QB but if h doesnt ahve the tools to be succesfull its a huge waste of money. Kurt will suck in S.F. without a doubt.

There's a lot of offseason left.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I'd guess we go ahead and re-do Dockett and Boldin, along with Wilson, in order to try and counter the very negative vibes this is going to send throughout the team and city.

You guess? That's the best thing to come from this whole ordeal. Like others have stated already, in 1999 we locked up Plummer but lost Centers, Lomas Brown and Jamir Miller.

If we did 'whatever it took' to sign Warner i.e. giving him $15 million-a-year, we could wave goodbye to Dockett, Boldin, Wilson etc.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any chance this is a "feel good" ploy by Warner? Have the 49ers offer him a bigger contract, turns it down to show the fans of Arizona how commited he is to the team. With this commitment, the cardinals offer him more?