Interesting Spurs news

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0416/1540054.html

SAN ANTONIO -- The Spurs put Tim Duncan and Stephen Jackson on the injured list Wednesday before their regular-season finale against the Mavericks.

The star forward and starting pointing guard were expected to return in time for the playoffs. Top-seeded San Antonio opens its first-round series at home against Phoenix this weekend.

The team said Duncan had a sore left knee and Jackson sprained his left thumb. The team activated center Mengke Bateer.

Duncan, last year's most valuable player, averaged 23.3 points and 12.9 rebounds in 81 games this season. Jackson, who played 80 games, averaged 11.8 points and 3.6 rebounds.

I thought this was weird. Apparently you do not have to serve the 5 game minimum once the playoffs start. I don't really understand the reasoning of putting him in the IL instead of not playing him though. If Duncan missed even 1 game for the playoffs that would be huge.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Very strange. What's the point of putting someone on the IR for one game? Maybe they have a couple of players who had been on the IR, and they're trying to decide whom to include on the playoff roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's strange. But it doesn't say that they have to miss less than the 5 game minimum. If Bateer is the only guy they activated, why put 2 starters on the IL? And since when is Stephen Jackson the team's starting PG?

If this is an April Fools Joke, it's certainly more stupid than funny... :confused:

Edit: Apparently, the Nets also put Mutombo on the Injured List as well, but the article I read said he would be available for the playoffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
yeah i guess they are available for the playoffs, but the main thing that confused me is why put 2 people on the list and only activate one??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard