IMQ #31 - People in Film - Favorite Action Star

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The First three Die Hard movies alone should be enough.

The Fifth Element was awesome

Pulp Fiction was a great flick

I personally really enjoyed "RED"

Unbreakable was decent
I wouldn't consider Pulp Fiction or even Unbreakable as action movies. He was one of the weak parts of Pulp Fiction IMO, but he was barely in it anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider Pulp Fiction or even Unbreakable as action movies. He was one of the weak parts of Pulp Fiction IMO, but he was barely in it anyway.

It's not an action movie but his role is action-ish at least.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
America Ultra was great in concept, awful in execution. Oceans 11 and 13 were both very good. Easy A was a solid B. Pitch Perfect wasn't for me, but I can see where it might be for others. Never saw Mr. Right or heard of Decoy Bride and Gunless. Big Trouble and Nine Yards were aborted fetuses rotting in a garbage can.

Mr Right is written by Max Landis who also wrote American Ultra. It's similarly quirky and I would have recommended it to you if you hadn't disliked AU. But if you're a fan of Sam Rockwell or Tim Roth and in the right mood, it might work for you. Decoy Bride is a fun romantic comedy with Kelly McDonald, David Tennant and Alice Eve (the whole cast is great but Kelly really shines in this role).

I can see some problems with Whole Nine Yards but I liked it a lot anyway. Had I not liked it though, the nude shots of Amanda Peet alone probably would have been enough to save the movie for me. I just don't get the Big Trouble hate. It seems to me to be a movie for almost everyone but almost everyone here seems to dislike it. My only complaint is that they wasted Stanley Tucci in it. I just threw Gunless in there to provide some variety of the types of recent comedies I've enjoyed. It's like watching a made for TV movie but it's a very pleasant almost family movie that provides more laughs than most would expect.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
was a body builder as a young man and had a few gals compare me to arnold in commando...that has always made him my favorite, plus I worked out with him once at the naval base. But stallone always seemed to send a message I needed to hear at the time...you know, like "It dont matter how hard you hit, it matters how hard you can GET hit and keep gettin back up"

so those two guys are my favorites for those reasons

but:

Danny Trejo...short, not a great actor, and kinda ugly... but a great guy and who didnt lobe "Machete"?? I meen really.

Chuck Norris for making it okay for Good guys to wear black....and for curing cancer

I would pick Bruce Lee...but the movies were terrible and always got my ass kicked after....my older brother was a huge fan...but
Jet Lee...awesome, pure...and

Jackie Chan..great martial artist who makes you laugh at life...love his movies

You nailed it here with Arnold and Sly. My favorites by a mile. I don't care how cheesy some of their films are. Commando was one of my favorite movies to rewatch as a kid in the 80s.

Some of those lines as Rocky and Rambo have stayed with me all through the years!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, now we're getting into the fun ones.

I know it's probably cliche, but I really have to go with Arnold on this one. I still believe he is the most improved actor in Hollywood history. Now, that sounds ridiculous, but think about his appearance in Hercules in New York and then his more recent appearances in movies like Maggie--and it is night and day the differences.

Honorable Mentions:
Dwayne Johnson
Brandon Lee
Bruce Lee
JCVD - more of a "so bad, he's good" kind of action star
Tom Cruise
Jason Statham
Liam Neeson
Michelle Yeoh
Chow Yun-Fat
Jet Li
Donnie Yen
Sonny Chiba

Not Cliche at all, I grew up with Arnold and he was alway my favorite. Still re watch Predator, Running Man, Commando, T1 and T2.

Not that those were great films, but they entertained me. Todays action just have too much action and I find my mind wandering. The last really good action flick I saw was John Wick and that was more of an art film, but that's why I liked it because it was not non stop car chases and explosions and CGI.

Just a matter of taste. I cant stand the FATF franchise but obviously MILLIONS of people disagree. To each their own!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Cliche at all, I grew up with Arnold and he was alway my favorite. Still re watch Predator, Running Man, Commando, T1 and T2.

Not that those were great films, but they entertained me. Todays action just have too much action and I find my mind wandering. The last really good action flick I saw was John Wick and that was more of an art film, but that's why I liked it because it was not non stop car chases and explosions and CGI.

Just a matter of taste. I cant stand the FATF franchise but obviously MILLIONS of people disagree. To each their own!

Assuming that's the Fast and Furious series, I agree wholeheartedly. And I'm apparently one of the few here that actually likes Vin Diesel movies. The Fast series isn't horrible, just repetitive and a little unexciting IMO.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Assuming that's the Fast and Furious series, I agree wholeheartedly. And I'm apparently one of the few here that actually likes Vin Diesel movies. The Fast series isn't horrible, just repetitive and a little unexciting IMO.
+1 for not liking Fast and Furious, but -1 for liking Vin Diesel movies.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for not liking Fast and Furious, but -1 for liking Vin Diesel movies.

Yeah, I'll take the minus one. Can't help it, we love the Pitch Black/Riddick series even if the mythology is inconsistent and somewhat juvenile.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last really good action flick I saw was John Wick and that was more of an art film, but that's why I liked it because it was not non stop car chases and explosions and CGI.

Did you see the Accountant?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Bert, I'm the same way. Commando, Predator, the Rambo films, they were not great, but I was engrossed for every minute. It seems like every action film over the last 20 years I just wait for the "action" to finish so we can get back to the plot.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sandra Bullock.

speed franchise...

heat

Miss Congeniality franchise....

chick does action pretty well

Staff online

Forum statistics