IMQ #18 - People in Film - Most Overrated Male Performance

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Another tough one, but it's gotta be Ryan Gosling. I'd say his performance from La La Land, where he was pretty one-note. But he's like that in almost all his movies.

Honorable Mentions:
Paul Walker - Anything
Christian Bale - Batman movies
Kevin Spacey - American Beauty

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another tough one, but it's gotta be Ryan Gosling. I'd say his performance from La La Land, where he was pretty one-note. But he's like that in almost all his movies.

Honorable Mentions:
Paul Walker - Anything

Yep, you stole my Gosling. He's my vote for most overrated everything. I'd leave Paul Walker out of this one, I don't know any one that speaks well of him as an actor. But, recent problems aside, I think Spacey is a special actor. Apparently, far more special as an actor than a human being.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yep, you stole my Gosling. He's my vote for most overrated everything. I'd leave Paul Walker out of this one, I don't know any one that speaks well of him as an actor. But, recent problems aside, I think Spacey is a special actor. Apparently, far more special as an actor than a human being.
I like Kevin Spacey the actor as well, I'm just not as over-the-moon about his performance in American Beauty.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Kevin Spacey the actor as well, I'm just not as over-the-moon about his performance in American Beauty.

Ahh, same here. Actually I wasn't very impressed by anything about that movie.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Honorable Mentions:
Paul Walker - Anything

Was Paul Walker seen as an “esteemed actor?

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Was Paul Walker seen as an “esteemed actor?
He certainly has been universally loved since his death. The fact that he was even an actor is overrating him, IMO. He might have been a good guy in real life, but he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a fascinating answer, considering he was basically a supporting character.

I just can't stand his acting in general and this was the movie that made him a household name and kind of kick-started his overrated acting career.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just can't stand his acting in general and this was the movie that made him a household name and kind of kick-started his overrated acting career.
Believe it or not, Mallrats and Chasing Amy were before Good Will Hunting, so I'd say those, especially Chasing Amy, did more to jumpstart his career as a lead. But it's arguable either way.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Dicaprio in Titanic

Granted a lot of that was source, but the writers didn't make his accent fade in and out through the film lol.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Mallrats and Chasing Amy were before Good Will Hunting, so I'd say those, especially Chasing Amy, did more to jumpstart his career as a lead. But it's arguable either way.

yeah I know but those were cult classics. Good Will Hunting made him a household name after winning an Oscar.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ben Affleck in Gone Girl

Love the film, great performances from everyone but Affleck. His performance was like a Lifetime movie of the week performance mixed in with everyone else nailing every bit of their parts. He was carried by a great script and how the audience wasn't supposed to like him like that much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard