Im beginning to really dislike the media

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Ok, not like I ever really liked them. Marc Stein pushed so many buttons of mine today in his stein line. For his post season awards he chose Yao as ROY.

Rookie of the Year
Stein's ballot

Yao
1. Yao Ming, Houston
2. Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix
3. Caron Butler, Miami

Houston's Yao Ming. For months we surmised that the No. 8 spot in the West would be the ROY tiebreaker between Yao and Suns sensation Amare Stoudemire. At the buzzer, even though Stoudemire and the Suns claimed it, we just couldn't deny Yao. Manly as Amare was, leaping from high schooler to NBA impact player a year after we had all lost faith in prep stars, Yao made a more daunting and historic transition, coming all the way from China to the heady heights of starting center in the All-Star Game and, for one night in January, legitimate Shaq foil. April has indeed been his worst month, after a great December (17.1 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2.7 bpg) and February (16.5 ppg, 8.8 rpg), but Yao repeatedly dodged the Great Rookie Wall and hushed a lot of skeptics, all in the face of a relentless press following. No shame, meanwhile, for Miami's Caron Butler finishing third behind these two, especially with a Stein Line favorite (Denver's Nene Hilario) looming fourth.

In his chat today he said:

Dan (Phx): With the Suns making the playoffs, how much does that factor into the ROY award for Amare?

Marc Stein: (5:51 PM ET ) I thought it was going to be the deciding factor. But, in the end, I couldn't vote against Yao. I just think, for all the obstacles he has faced this season -- no summers off for years, unbelievable expectations, a daily media circus -- he had to be the choice.

and

Dan (phx): What about Amare attending 6 different high schools and not picking up a basketball until the age of 14? If nothing else, him and Yao should share it.

Marc Stein: (6:08 PM ET ) It's a good argument, Dan. Amare had to make a tough transition, too , especially one year after Kwame, Chandler, Curry and Diop had such poor rookie seasons. But voters aren't allowed to split votes. There can only be a tie if each guy actually accrues a like number of votes. If voters were allowed to split them, you'd see plenty of ballots with Yao and Amare both on there.

Here is my beef. He was one of the main people who were claiming the race would come down to who would make the playoffs. Now he is backing off of that, claiming he just cannot go against Yao. What happened in the past 2 months to solidify Yao in his mind? I mean his play has been downhill since like Feb. I am confident that the only thing that changed in the 2 months is that Phx became the winner of the 8th spot, where back in March Houston was looking like it would make it. Basically he used that playoff factor as a reason to give it to Yao over Amare when it looked like it was in Yao's favor. Now that the tides are turned, he got screwed and he knows it. He obviously had Yao pegged from the beginning.

His reasoning that Yao had to overcome so much is ********. The only thing Yao had to do was deal with the media swarm, which died down significantly as the season progressed. Yao was more ready, and more expected to compete at this level. Yao probably has 6 or so years of professional experience. Amare has 2 years of HS experience. Yao has the problem of changing from chinese to American culture. Amare has to go from his mom stealing to pay for groceries to having millions of dollars. Both are overwhelming changes. IMO if a writer wants to bring the things that had to overcome by each player, Amare has to have the edge.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And one of his points is that Yao was "a legitimate Shaq foil" in one game. Well, whoop de do. Tsakalidis has been "a legitimate Shaq foil" in a couple of games now. So what? And while we're on the subject, wouldn't Stein agree that Stoudemire was "a legitimate KG foil" in one game this season? That's with Garnett likely being the league MVP.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that night in January the same night that Shaquille O'Neal scored 31 points, grabbed 13 rebounds, and handed out 4 assists? Was it the same night Yao Ming scored 10 points on 5-14 shooting? The Rockets won the game in overtime. If that merits the ROY, Big Jake is in line for Most Improved Player.

I'm not sure who should winter of key of the year, but I'm sick of hearing about all of these obstacles that each player had to overcome. It should be awarded based on how well each player performed on the court in the effect those performances had on their teams.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I was mostly bringing that up to prove stein's point invalid. My biggest problem was that he tried to justify yao as roy because he thought the rockets would win the 8th spot. Once that didnt hold true, he retracted his "who's ever team makes the playoffs will win" to "I just cannot go against Yao"

It is just ********, plain and simple.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I think you have to see it from Amare's perspective

If he had to choose between ROY and a playoff berth I think he would choose the playoff berth.

Of course I want Amare to get ROY as well! :)

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I think Amare would take the bearth as well, but he is on the record saying he also agrees that the team that becomes playoff bound deserves their canidate to win. He said for the first time back win the magic number was 4. Back when Houston was still the favorite.

fordronken

Reaction score
Someone made a point in an earlier thread, and I think it's a good one, that if Amare does not win Rookie of the Year, it could motivate him even more next year. I think that there is a very good chance of that. You know how whenever Amare has something go against him in a game, or against a particular player, he keeps it in mind and comes out that much stronger the next time around? Well, imagine that, but for an entire season.

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
The Rookie of the Year award might not be the most important thing to Amare right now with the SUns being in the playoffs and all. However, it s an award where you only have once crack at it. It's either, u get it or never do. MVP, u get multiple chances if you are that good. Other awards like first team all nba, u get a crack at that every year too. That is why I would like to see Amare get it because he does deserve the award. His stats, level of play, maturity and contributions to a PLAYOFF team was huge this year.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My deciding factor all season long is that Amare has had to get his numbers against all-star quality power forwards (Duncan, Garnett, Nowitzki, Brand, Malone, Rasheed Wallace, Webber, Gasol, Howard, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal, Kenyon Martin, Walker, etc) while Yao Ming has had 2 tough opponents in Shaq & Duncan.

Amare hasn't just done ok against some of the best players in the league, at times he has dominated some of the best players in the league. With his level of competition being so much higher than Yao's, it's amazing how consistent he has been.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think the media is going to give the award to Yao.

I think both, Yao and Amare had a great season. They both had to face a lot of challanges and they both overcame many obsticles. They both deserve this award.

Having said all that, if I had to choose one of them, it would have to be Amare. Yao is a 7'6 center with years of experience.
Who did he have to go against this season? Shaq, Vlade Divac, Rasho Nesterovic, Brad Miller. Then there are Andrew DeClerqe (sp), Shawn Kemp, Shawn Bradley, Dale Davis, Greg Ostertag, etc.
Except for Shaq, and MAYBE Vlade, Rasho, and Brad, those guys are scrubs.

Compare those names to the names of the great PF's Amare had to go against:
Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Elton Brand, Rasheed Walace, etc.

Amare had no experience before the NBA, and I think all things considered, he should get the ROY.

Stefan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard