I want to sleep more comfortably.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I am looking for some suggestions. The truth is that I am not as young as I used to be and sleeping on the ground (or just carpet in my pickup bed) is getting to hard. I wake up in the middle of the night hurting so I turn over only to wake up a couple hours later hurting in the new position needing to roll over again.

I am looking for some sort of mat, cot, pad, hammock, etc. that will make it more comfortable at night. Warmth isn't really a consideration as I don't get cold right now.

Since I usually go with my dog that has talon like claws I want something that isn't prone to puncturing. I would like something that is big enough for one but I can add a second one if my wife wants to come with me.

Other than that I am open to just about any suggestion.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally I am a big fan of thermarest mattresses. They are really thing but super comfortable and they pack down to nearly nothing. It will be night and day vs the pickup bed. Go into REI or something and lay on one, youll be impressed. Inflatable mattresses were always horrible for me, they lose air, hurt my back and etc. These days I am either on my thermarest or in a hammock any time I sleep in the outdoors.

Thermarest is the name brand company but big agnes and others make awesome sleeping pads too. You can also get insulated ones just so that the air in the pad doesn't get as cold as the air around you.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
personally I am a big fan of thermarest mattresses. They are really thing but super comfortable and they pack down to nearly nothing. It will be night and day vs the pickup bed. Go into REI or something and lay on one, youll be impressed. Inflatable mattresses were always horrible for me, they lose air, hurt my back and etc. These days I am either on my thermarest or in a hammock any time I sleep in the outdoors.

Thermarest is the name brand company but big agnes and others make awesome sleeping pads too. You can also get insulated ones just so that the air in the pad doesn't get as cold as the air around you.
Thanks, I will look into them.

Reaction score
I use a cot with a heavy duty sleeping bag as a mattress. Comfortable as hell. I have a bad back so sleeping on the ground kills me. The bag also insulates you from the cold air below you.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a cot with a heavy duty sleeping bag as a mattress. Comfortable as hell. I have a bad back so sleeping on the ground kills me. The bag also insulates you from the cold air below you.
being raised off of the ground helps a lot too with not being cold. I have a buddy that does this same thing. I have a cot I sleep on with nothing or a thermarest under me, both very comfortable.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I gave up ground camping many moons ago. Much the same I'd be sore or roll around too much. I use the cheap $30 mattress and it works fine, but there are some crazy expensive ones with all kinds of support. Not sure a mattress would fit in the truck bed - maybe a twin?

For tents I use the mattress, but if I sleep in the Jeep I've used the 1/2" foam mats. They're like yoga mats but thicker and denser. Might have to give the pads a try like BRR mentioned.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
foam mats still kick my ass. You should try out a thermarest syle mat Carnage, itll change your life.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson