I want a T E from the draft

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if we get a new HC and OC.

"Teams should a place premium value on tight ends in the draft. Five went in the top 100 last year, three in the first round in 2017, but none in the first round in 2015-16. San Francisco’s George Kittle was a fifth-round pick. Kansas City’s Travis Kelce and Atlanta’s Austin Hooper lasted until the third round. Philadelphia’s Zach Ertz and Minnesota’s Kyle Rudolph went in the second round. The ability to block just enough but be a matchup nightmare in the passing game should force teams to prioritize this position."

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Made me think about Troy Niklas so I had to look him up, I remembered he was signed by New England but didn't know he didn't even make it to preseason and is now unsigned. What a wasted pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
TEs are hard to scout, and harder to establish a value for. O.J. Howard has 34 receptions this season. Evan Engram has 34. David Njoku has 50 receptions but has never gone over 70 yards in a game this season.

Are these guys good? Bad? Those are the first rounders from two years ago.

Ben Watson and Antonio Gates are still playing in their late 30s. I don't know how to evaluate this position.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
TEs are hard to scout, and harder to establish a value for. O.J. Howard has 34 receptions this season. Evan Engram has 34. David Njoku has 50 receptions but has never gone over 70 yards in a game this season.

Ben Watson and Antonio Gates are still playing in their late 30s. I don't know how to evaluate this position.
I think TE value is dependent on your use of them. You want a physical, OL aggressiveness with a level of athleticism. For a long time, teams were too concerned with players being inline blockers. You can't be. You have to determine which guys have the frame and desire to be average blockers. OJ Howard is a pretty good TE whose body is letting him down a bit. Niklas wasn't a bad pick, just a bad result. Kyle Rudolph is used differently, but that it doesn't mean he is not a valuable player. If you look at Indy, Eric Ebron is better because of how they use him, not because he is a different player than he was with Detroit.

You also have to be patient. They seem to take a bit of time to develop.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think a TE's value to a team is determined by how they are viewed in the scheme of the offense. Does your offensive scheme expect a TE to be a pass catcher, a primary weapon in the passing game (ala Gronk, Ertz, Kelce) or does it value blocking ability with an occasional pass catch here and there? Arians had little value of the TE as a receiver. I personally like the TE as a receiver since it adds more pressure on the defense to account for a TE in the passing game especially if you can isolate him on a safety or nickel/dime back. I will take a 6'-4" 260lb. TE matched against a 6'-0" 195lb. defensive back any day of the week. If your offense is more attuned to power running, max protect, then a solid blocking TE adds more value to your team to match up with LBs and pick up possible blitzers as well as taking on a DE.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

OJ would be well on his way to a 1K yard, 10 TD season before getting IR’d a month ago. He’s definitely good. I think NJoku is, too. Engram? Not so much.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas Goedert and Zach Ertz, Eagles, make a helluva combination when they are paired up in the same formation. Nightmare to cover both.

This years draft is loaded with TEs.

Really like
Noah Fant Iowa
Kaden Smith Stanford

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Depends on the next HC/OC. Some prefer a big tough blocking TE, some prefer a slightly bulked up WR who isn't used to block at all. A solid TE would be a great security blanket for Rosen. Especially if Fitz hangs em up.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tight ends are super iffy

People complain about Nikklas but that was considered the best tight end draft ever.

Eric Ebron
Austin Seferan Jenkins
Jace Amaro
Troy Nikklas

All of them have been bust. Ebron is just now showing signs of life on the colts but he was a top 15 pick and was thought to be can't miss

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dawson Knox - Ole Miss

Isaac Nauta - Georgia

Two dudes who were GROSSLY underutilized for their teams for different reasons. Both will go 4th-5th rounds. Just put either in at least a decent situation & there’s no doubt in my mind they will be good, especially Knox. Hell, I would love it if we got both.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tight ends are super iffy

People complain about Nikklas but that was considered the best tight end draft ever.

Eric Ebron
Austin Seferan Jenkins
Jace Amaro
Troy Nikklas

All of them have been bust. Ebron is just now showing signs of life on the colts but he was a top 15 pick and was thought to be can't miss
ebron is good, and this year is dominant in the end zone, something he struggled before

safaran jenkins has off field issues

the other 2 are trash

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I think a TE's value to a team is determined by how they are viewed in the scheme of the offense. Does your offensive scheme expect a TE to be a pass catcher, a primary weapon in the passing game (ala Gronk, Ertz, Kelce) or does it value blocking ability with an occasional pass catch here and there? Arians had little value of the TE as a receiver. I personally like the TE as a receiver since it adds more pressure on the defense to account for a TE in the passing game especially if you can isolate him on a safety or nickel/dime back. I will take a 6'-4" 260lb. TE matched against a 6'-0" 195lb. defensive back any day of the week. If your offense is more attuned to power running, max protect, then a solid blocking TE adds more value to your team to match up with LBs and pick up possible blitzers as well as taking on a DE.

You should read his book.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think they could really benefit from a two TE system, particularly if Fitz retires. Seals Jones has been somewhat inconsistent so an upgrade there wouldn't hurt. There should be some decent FA choices or some 3rd round talent still left on the draft board. We need to add some speed there for seam routes. Something Seattle's TE's do well.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO a real complete TE or two is needed.A TE who can catch in a crowd and can run block and be able to help the tackle if needed in pass protection.No more wrs pretending to play TE.Get some guys who are solid hardnosed complete TEs.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we need to go get "O"

I featured him a few months back... the kid aint huge but he catches everything thrown his way and has really good speed.

The walterfootball write up....

Albert Okwuegbunam**, TE, Missouri
Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
12/1/18: Okwuegbunam is one of the most dangerous mismatch weapons in college football even though Missouri does not always utilize him. When the Tigers do use him, he produces big plays for them via his speed to get down the seam and his size to wall off defenders or make catches over them when they are able to keep him from getting separation. This season, he has 43 receptions for 466 yards with six touchdowns. He also missed three games with a shoulder injury. Okwuegbunam could be the first tight end selected if he enters the 2019 NFL Draft.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Okwuegbunam checks in at 6-foot-5, 260 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in a quick 4.70 seconds. His arms measure at 33.63 inches, his hands at 10 inches, and his wingspan at 80.75 inches.

Okwuegbunam was a dangerous red-zone weapon last season, hauling in 11 touchdowns from Drew Lock. Missouri opened up its offense with Lock in the back half of the 2017 season, using Okwuegbunam as one of is steady receiving threats. The redshirt freshman, hauled in 29 receptions for 415 yards on the year. Okwuegbunam could develop into a player with three-down starter consideration. Sources say that Okwuegbunam is impressive as he is big, athletic, runs fast, and catches the hell out of the ball. Scouts say that they've heard Okwuegbunam runs in the 4.5s and not the 4.70 that was listed on the teams' watch list.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php#ixzz5aF9AcKSR
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php#C25tAXllIqEh1XhA.99

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Dawson Knox - Ole Miss

Isaac Nauta - Georgia

Two dudes who were GROSSLY underutilized for their teams for different reasons. Both will go 4th-5th rounds. Just put either in at least a decent situation & there’s no doubt in my mind they will be good, especially Knox. Hell, I would love it if we got both.

Nice...thanks for the info.

Got bored and watched some games on both of these guys. I like Isaac Nauta better...has some George Kittle in him but seems faster (really fast for a TE).

I don't know the route name but when a TE comes off the line, heads toward the sideline, and then turns it up the sideline. Whatever its called, almost every TE runs it but Nauta does it differently. He runs past his man consistently and doesn't get tackled for a short gain. He seems like a solid blocker and a real weapon in the passing game.

The other interesting fact about Nauta...he was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school. OJ Howard (2013) was the last 5 star TE and there has only been 4 in the last 10 years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Oj Howard had an injury midseason and has missed 5 games. He was having a good season. Averaging 16 yards a catch and had 5 TDs in 9 games.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Dawson Knox - Ole Miss

Isaac Nauta - Georgia

Excellent call @DVontel

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Assuming Williams is healthy this would waste a pick. One of the issues with Murray is getting him to trust specific receivers. Clearly he trusts Willams & Ertz (a must re-sign). The only good draftable TEs will go early. Despite FA & current roster they will have bigger holes to fill

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson