How about Kevin Greene Packer LB Coach as the Cardinal DC?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about Kevin Greene as the Cardinal DC. We would have to wait for the Packers to be out of the playoffs just like we do on Bulter with the Steelers. He doesn't have as much experience but it would be a promotion and he certainly has the passion.

Here is part of the bio on Kevin Greene on the Packer web site:

• Joined Packers Feb. 3, 2009.

• Tutored two rookies in ‘09, Clay Matthews (10 sacks) and Brad Jones (four sacks), as they became the first rookie tandem in franchise annals to each record four-plus sacks in the same season.

• Finished a 15-year playing career (1985-99) ranked third all-time in sacks and first among linebackers with 160.

• Was a five-time Pro Bowler (1989, ’94, ’95, ’96, ’98) and two-time first-team All-Pro selection (’94, ’96), leading the league in sacks both of those years.

• Played for current Green Bay defensive coordinator Dom Capers with two teams, Pittsburgh and Carolina.

• Served as a captain in a 16-year career in the Army Reserve.

Kevin Greene enters his second season with the Packers in 2010 as outside linebackers coach, his first full-time NFL coaching job after 15 years as a standout player.

Named to his position by Head Coach Mike McCarthy on Feb. 3, 2009, Greene brings a wealth of experience at the outside linebacker spot and played a key role in teaching that position in the Packers’ new 3-4 defensive scheme last season.

In his first season as a coach, Greene was part of a staff that guided the Packers defense to a No. 2 overall ranking in the league, the highest ranking since the ’96 team finished as the No. 1 defense. Green Bay’s defense led the NFL in rushing for the first time in franchise annals, and the average of 83.3 yards rushing per game set a team record for any season.

Under Greene’s guidance, rookie ROLB Clay Matthews registered 10 sacks, the most by a Packers rookie since the statistic became official in 1982. Matthews was selected to the Pro Bowl, the first Green Bay rookie to earn that honor since WR James Lofton in 1978, and also led all NFL rookies with three forced fumbles.

Since his playing career ended, Greene has worked in real estate and as a summer NFL coaching intern with five different clubs, including one in 2006 with Miami, where Capers was the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator. His most recent coaching internship was in 2008 with the eventual Super Bowl champion Steelers.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I've been preaching him as my choice for 2 months. Fox sure & the Packs LB's sure were pimping Greene last night during the telecast.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been preaching him as my choice for 2 months

I do recall that you did. Watching yesterday's game they showed him on the sideline really displaying emotion with the players on their performance. I was really impressed and thought that would be great to have here.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Kevin Greene, but I don't think he is ready to be a DC. Question that need to be asked " Can he handle calling a game not just coaching LB's?" I have no question in a couple of years that he will be ready to become a DC.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing as how I'm probably Kevin's biggest fan in the entire state of Arizona I vote "Yes".

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I like him and he's the kind of guy I believe the Cardinals actually have a shot at. Not a very big name up and comer looking for a shot, thus...cheap. Therefore, acceptable to the Bidwills.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I like Kevin Greene, but I don't think he is ready to be a DC. Question that need to be asked " Can he handle calling a game not just coaching LB's?" I have no question in a couple of years that he will be ready to become a DC.

In a couple of years, he'll be talked about as a Head Coach. I think he is ready for DC now. Greene would be my first choice.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not hating on the guy, but what has he done to make everyone want him so bad? Not saying he can't be a good coach, but some may argue that he is behind Moss and Whitt Jr. in terms of DC candidates.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would love him as our linebackers coach. I have no idea if he would even know what he is doing as a DC though. He could be the next Buddy Ryan or be the worst DC we ever had. Loved him as a player though. I really want a DC that has alot of experience with a big name that has a proven track record.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In a couple of years, he'll be talked about as a Head Coach. I think he is ready for DC now. Greene would be my first choice.

The question is are you willing to bet your head coach on it?

I can't saw that I have seen enough from Greene or Butler to stake the next 4 years of our franchise on their ability to get it done, yet here we are.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You know he isn't even the coach of the whole LB unit?...he is the OUTSIDE LBs Coach.

I think its a leap of faith to think he can make the jump to DC right now...especially after just 2 seasons of coaching.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I respect your opinon of wanting him to come to cardinals. I would like him to come here as a linebacker coach.

I will agree with Zeno on this he needs a lot more experience in coaching.

Like Snakester I want a DC with a lot experience.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
The hope of Packers fans is that Greene is being groomed to take over for Dom Capers (Current DC) when he retires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson