Hopkins Trade Strategy

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And we gave a first round pick for Brown?
It was a different situation because Brown had two years left on a rookie deal and is likely to continue getting better or level off at a high level.

Hop is on his third contract and looking for one final payday before a decline that has been sudden and steep for a lot of similar players.
You may be right. The problem is that the Cards hold little leverage here. Teams know that if the Cards stand pat, they will be at a 30M cap number and nearly 2/3rds of that in dead cap if traded.

So while a 2nd is good value for a player like D-Hop, they likely won't get it unless they wait until draft day and a team gets desperate. (like the Cards were last year with Hollywood)
Many reports were that the Hollywood trade was agreed to in principle as early as January the prior year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes. If they really want to trade him, they will have to restructure.

They could restructure and save $9m against the Cap in 2023, payoff $$22m in 'dead' money in '23, and $9m in 2024. The team getting DHop would have to pay a salary of $10m in 2023 and $14m in 2024 or come to a new agreement.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If cut, Ossi's personality will look like

Don't risk it
We didn't need the biscuit

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m not trading back with Vegas or Detroit unless I’m getting their 2nd this year and 1st next year.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dunno. His salary is guaranteed on the first day of the season as long as he’s on the active roster.

Now, do you want him hanging around training camp nursing a series of soft-tissue injures? Not if you’re instilling a culture of… not winning, but something?

Third-choice GM absolutely killing his 30-60-90 plan.
I presume he would holdout for a new contract extension all training camp?