Her

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Her

Release Date: December 18, 2013 (limited; wide: Jan. 10)
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Spike Jonze
Screenwriter: Spike Jonze
Genre: Drama, Romance
MPAA Rating: N/A

Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde, Scarlett Johansson

Plot Summary: Set in Los Angeles, slightly in the future, "her" follows Theodore Twombly, a complex, soulful man who makes his living writing touching, personal letters for other people. Heartbroken after the end of a long relationship, he becomes intrigued with a new, advanced operating system, which promises to be an intuitive entity in its own right, individual to each user. Upon initiating it, he is delighted to meet "Samantha," a bright, female voice, who is insightful, sensitive and surprisingly funny. As her needs and desires grow, in tandem with his own, their friendship deepens into an eventual love for each other. From the unique perspective of Oscar-nominated filmmaker Spike Jonze comes an original love story that explores the evolving nature—and the risks—of intimacy in the modern world.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Best movie of the 2013, IMO.

That is all.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw "her" this past weekend. Very thought provoking and interesting take on our "not too distant future" and what is becoming of our tech interactions and the increasing role of AI in our lives. About 3 scenes in there that were a bit way too awkward to see with my family, but other than than, it was very well done and the acting was very good.

PS. The trailer for "Transcendence" looked awesome.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need. Sweet, soulful, and smart, Spike Jonze's Her uses its just-barely-sci-fi scenario to impart wryly funny wisdom about the state of modern human relationships.

Director: Spike Jonze
Writer: Spike Jonze
Stars: Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Scarlett Johansson (voice)

This is an odd, odd movie. The critics absolutely loved it (94% on RT), but although I liked it, I found it was a bit creepy. There's a "sex scene" between Phoenix and the voice of his operating system that had me half laughing out loud at its silliness and half wanting to go repeatedly shower to get the creepy off me. I "got" the allegory and the look at modern relationships, but it just didn't click very well for me. I'd give it (barely) 3 out of 5 stars, mostly for Phoenix's good work (major doofus of a human being, but a fine actor). My wife liked it considerably less.

P.S. Johansson shows us just how really sexy a voice can be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
best movie of last year.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I hated this movie.

That is all.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting movie. Really liked the futuristic look and tones.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Want a chuckle? Ask Siri if she's "her". Her answers are funny. My favorite is:

"Joaquine, is that you?"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I can't stress enough how much I love this movie. I'll watch it almost all the way through no matter what time I catch it on.