Heat Still Want To Re-Sign Haslem

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
The Heat are still very much interested in re-signing veteran forward Udonis Haslem, according to Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

"And, yes, Udonis Haslem very much remains in the Heat's thinking, depending on how much money is left over from whatever goes down," Winderman wrote on his Twitter page Wednesday afternoon.

Read more: http://www1.realgm.com/src_wiretap/2/#ixzz0t4NICuhY

The rumors that LeBron will go to Miami may leave the Heat without the cap space to sign Haslem. The timing of the signing might give them a chance to make a trade to the Suns.

I haven't worked out the math, but the only way the Suns would be a player would be if the Heat have interest in Barbosa.

Last edited:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the Suns should sign Haslem?
If so, i hope not!! I really don't see what Haslem has to offer.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are you saying the Suns should sign Haslem?
If so, i hope not!! I really don't see what Haslem has to offer.

He can rebound, defend, and hit a 10-ft jumper. He would be a good foil to Warrick. Being that Cleveland would have no use for him in a S&T, I could see him somehow ending up here.

For the minimum, he would stay in Miami and I don't know how much Sarver would offer him above the minimum.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
why not keep collecting mid-tier pfs???

warrick
frye
lawal
collins
clark
haslem

we can find minutes for all of them, right?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
why not keep collecting mid-tier pfs???

warrick
frye
lawal
collins
clark
haslem

we can find minutes for all of them, right?

Two of those are 2nd round probable bench warmers, one should play SF (if he plays), one will likely play C.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can rebound, defend, and hit a 10-ft jumper. He would be a good foil to Warrick. Being that Cleveland would have no use for him in a S&T, I could see him somehow ending up here.

For the minimum, he would stay in Miami and I don't know how much Sarver would offer him above the minimum.

What Ouchie mentioned above was exactly my primary concern, how are you sure Clark or Lawal wont be more productive if giving the chance?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Two of those are 2nd round probable bench warmers, one should play SF (if he plays), one will likely play C.

i would hope that clark would be groomed for sf, but i don't have faith in this leadership that they'll recognize the potential mismatch he creates there and will instead rely on him to fill the now chasmatic void created by amare's departure.

and i think collins at C is a tremendous mistake given his size. unless you're talking about frye, which is a tremendous mistake on the defensive end of the court.

let's face it, some of those dudes i listed could play other positions, but they all seem to better fit the PF role.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
If I was GM i'd try to stash Collins in Europe, ideally France where their style is better suited to American play.

As for the rest:

Clark is not a PF and was not worked at PF last year.

Warick looks like a taller but lighter version Marion to me based on ehat I saw in college. As a PF, IMHO he is "small ball" revisited.

Laval is a real wild card. I'm hopeful he will turn out to be real gem, but I'm not expecting much right away.

Frye got MLE offers, so he seems to get more love from other GM's than he does on this board. Still, I like him coming off the bench and would rather have a physical guy supporting Lopez.

Haslem played PF on the Heat's championship team and appears to be strong at the stuff Amare wasn't: rebounding, defense. as well as being a solid mid range shooter. I'm not sure how much I'd pay for him, but I think he'd be a good fit.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haslem played PF on the Heat's championship team and appears to be strong at the stuff Amare wasn't: rebounding, defense. as well as being a solid mid range shooter. I'm not sure how much I'd pay for him, but I think he'd be a good fit.

If you're talking about Haslem as a starter, I'd be against it. He's inexpensive, he plays the traditional Riley/Heat style and yet they've been in search of a starting PF for years now. Priced right I think he'd be a great bench guy but nothing more, IMO.

Steve

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about Haslem as a starter, I'd be against it. He's inexpensive, he plays the traditional Riley/Heat style and yet they've been in search of a starting PF for years now. Priced right I think he'd be a great bench guy but nothing more, IMO.

Steve

Haslem is one of those guys that seems to keep starting even though the team keeps bringing in guys to replace him. Haslem is small and after watching the Lakers, it is likely that everyone wants really tall bigs. Bosh is bigger than Haslem, Amare, and Boozer; which is in part why Bosh was valued so highly. (The bact that Bosh is great shooter didn't hurt).

Obviously, Haslem's value to the Suns depends on price. Ray Allen just signed a two year, $20 million deal, which is rstunning. It is not unusual for guys to be bid out of range. But for someone being evaluated based on his immediate impact, I think Haslem could contribute more than Frye.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Personally, I love Haslem and wouldn't mind it at all if he joined the Suns, regardless of how many 4's we have. He is exactly the kind of player I would appreciate on this team.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i would hope that clark would be groomed for sf, but i don't have faith in this leadership that they'll recognize the potential mismatch he creates there and will instead rely on him to fill the now chasmatic void created by amare's departure.

There's no reason to count him in the PF yet.

and i think collins at C is a tremendous mistake given his size. unless you're talking about frye, which is a tremendous mistake on the defensive end of the court.

I meant Frye, only because someone has to play C. Collins/Lawal could be used as the 3rd string C, to horrible effect.

I think it's highly unlikely the rookies play much this year, though Lawal looks as close as you'll get to a play now type of guy in the mid-second round.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The Heat will still have the mid level exception and vet min players that don't count toward the cap. I just don't like the idea of three super stars on one team, just kinda of kills the game

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Heat will still have the mid level exception and vet min players that don't count toward the cap. I just don't like the idea of three super stars on one team, just kinda of kills the game

I agree, although too many stars may have an adverse effect on egos and chemistry. IMO, this almost rises to the level of tampering if it happens. It needs to be addressed in the next CBA.