HD TV Display

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
I have owned a ton of equipment over the years and have tested extensively every possible connection type and scenario.

No offense but it isn't even remotely possible for you to have extensively tested every possible connection type and scenario. There's simply way to much new hardware released on a yearly basis to even come close in a lifetime.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if you don't get monster cable, what are you supposed to hook your Bose speakers up to your Bose head unit with?

Silly rabbit. That's what the Acoustmax is for. :)

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Silly rabbit. That's what the Acoustmax is for. :)

Two 2" speakers really *CAN* replace your 7.1 surround system providing an amazingly detailed and immersive sound field....

Have to give Bose credit, they should fatten their bottom line by giving marketing training seminars.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link to the following information regarding HDMI cable and its different versions: High-Def Digest Forums: HDMI 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3

HDMI 1.0

Released December 2002.

* Single-cable digital audio/video connection with a maximum bitrate of 4.9Gbps. Supports up to 165Mpixels/sec video (1080p60Hz or UXGA) and 8-channel/192kHz/24-bit audio.

[edit] HDMI 1.1

Released May 2004.

* Added support for DVD Audio.

[edit] HDMI 1.2

Released August 2005.

* Added support for One Bit Audio, used on Super Audio CDs, up to 8 channels.
* Availability of HDMI Type A connector for PC sources.
* Ability for PC sources to use native RGB color-space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space.
* Requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support low-voltage sources.

[edit] HDMI 1.2a

Released December 2005.

* Fully specifies Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features, command sets, and CEC compliance tests.

[edit] HDMI 1.3

Released 22 June 2006.[7] [8]

* Increases single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
* Optionally supports 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit xvYCC with Deep Color or over one billion colors, up from 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous versions.
* Incorporates automatic audio syncing (lip sync) capability.
* Supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.[9] TrueHD and DTS-HD are lossless audio codec formats used on HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs. If the disc player can decode these streams into uncompressed audio, then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary, as all versions of HDMI can transport uncompressed audio.
* Availability of a new mini connector for devices such as camcorders.[10]
* The Sony PlayStation 3 is the first product available on consumer market with HDMI 1.3.[11]
* Epson has released the EMP-TW1000 as the first display supporting 30-bit deep color.[12]

[edit] HDMI 1.3a

Released 10 November 2006.[13]

* Cable and Sink modifications for Type C
* Source termination recommendation
* Removed undershoot and maximum rise/fall time limits.
* CEC capacitance limits changed
* RGB video quantization range clarification
* CEC commands for timer control brought back in an altered form, audio control commands added.
* Concurrently released compliance test specification included.

enjoy :D

shawn

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offense but it isn't even remotely possible for you to have extensively tested every possible connection type and scenario. There's simply way to much new hardware released on a yearly basis to even come close in a lifetime.

Silly rabbit. I was not referring to every piece of equipment that has ever hit the market. I was referring to the equipment that I have gotten my hands on (which has been a ton). I have owned enough equipment to do extensive tests on every type of connection. Sony, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, JVC, Kenwood, Marantz, Pioneer, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Samsung just to name a few. I think my test bed is a tad larger then the normal person.

Plus it helps that my brother is into as much as I am. We typically never buy the same equipment but both constantly upgrade our multiple home theater setups. We have gone as far as brought everything from HDTV's, DVD players, receivers and speakers to each others houses to do extensive comparison tests. Were sick like that.

Two 2" speakers really *CAN* replace your 7.1 surround system providing an amazingly detailed and immersive sound field....

Have to give Bose credit, they should fatten their bottom line by giving marketing training seminars.

It's a decent substitute. They have really gotten good and "faking" the brain into hearing surround type sounds. I remember the first company to make leaps and bounds in that technology was Q-Sound.

However, if your a true home theater enthusiast...nothing can replace the real thing. The depth and separation of sound of a true surround system can never be beaten.

Last edited:

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Have you done component over cat5? I'm examining options for pushing signal about 60 feet to my bedroom tv from my Onkyo 875. I already have cat5 i put in place during a recent house remodel. With HDMI I will surely need a repeater.

6ave.com had a brief unlisted sale on the 875 I heard about through avsforum. I was able to get the 875 for under $1000. I got a 7.1 surround speaker set from svsound to complement it.

So far my only complaint is the 875 and HR20 (HDMI connection) are constantly fighting (during HR20 FF and RW functions) and then making up and shaking hands five seconds later.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you done component over cat5? I'm examining options for pushing signal about 60 feet to my bedroom tv from my Onkyo 875. I already have cat5 i put in place during a recent house remodel. With HDMI I will surely need a repeater.

6ave.com had a brief unlisted sale on the 875 I heard about through avsforum. I was able to get the 875 for under $1000. I got a 7.1 surround speaker set from svsound to complement it.

So far my only complaint is the 875 and HR20 (HDMI connection) are constantly fighting (during HR20 FF and RW functions) and then making up and shaking hands five seconds later.

Got a love unlisted sales. That's a good price for the 875. Mmmm. I know someone who has the 875. I will have to ask him if he is having similar issues. I think he also has the HR20 as well.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Got a love unlisted sales. That's a good price for the 875. Mmmm. I know someone who has the 875. I will have to ask him if he is having similar issues. I think he also has the HR20 as well.

I beleive it is caused by the HR20 no longer sending an audio signal during ff and rw. Several people have commented on it in the 875 thread.

I think (could be wrong) if you turn of dolby digital on the HR20 the problem goes away (not a solution). I'm going to try using an optical cable for audio and have the 875 set to use the optical instead of audio coming over the HDMI from the HR20.

I'm hoping that if the 875 is set to use the optical input for audio, it will no longer look for it via HDMI and that would negate the need to re-handshake for video because of audio dropout during ff/rw.

I'm also going to order a 1.5' HDMI cable from monoprice and try that as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn