Hawkins breaks Bibby's record

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/pre...1corey-hawkins-arizona-scoring-record-CR.html

ASU-bound Corey Hawkins breaks Mike Bibby's career scoring record
14 comments by Richard Obert - Feb. 11, 2010 09:04 PM
The Arizona Republic
Photos from the game

Corey Hawkins took the ball from top of the key, studied his options and made his move into the Arizona high school basketball record book Thursday night.

With 3.6 seconds left in the first quarter, the Goodyear Estella Foothills senior guard swooped between a couple of Sedona Red Rock defenders and scored.

It gave him 15 points for the game and 3,004 for his four-year varsity career, forcing current NBA guard Mike Bibby out of the top spot. Bibby scored 3,002 points from 1992-96 for Phoenix Shadow Mountain, before helping lead the University of Arizona to its only national basketball championship his freshman year.

Hawkins' next stop is Arizona State.

"It's a moment of relief," said Hawkins, who was embraced by his father, Hersey, and mother, Jennifer, on the court between quarters. "It's a special moment, a feeling I can't really describe. But I'm glad that I got it."

Corey Hawkins and Bibby share a common thread - they are sons of former NBA guards.

Hersey Hawkins was known as a terrific outside shooter during his NBA days. Mike Bibby's father, Henry, was part of three NCAA championships with UCLA before playing in the NBA.

It was especially important for Corey to have his father there to watch him break the record. Hersey was Estrella Foothills' assistant coach before he took a job with the Portland Trail Blazers last summer. The separation has been tough, but Hersey said "this has always been home for (Corey)," and he wanted to finish his high school career here.

Devon Hawkins, a freshman guard and Corey's brother, was on the floor when the record was set.

"He never talked about it," Devon said. "It's always been about wins and championships with him."

ASU coach Herb Sendek is looking forward to having Hawkins on his team next season.

"We're happy for him," Sendek said. "That's a long-standing record. It's a milestone achievement."

It was a struggle to get there early. He missed five of his first six shots but didn't force his offense, delivering quality assists and then scoring off a steal.

After the record fell, shots began to pour in.

He had 30 points by halftime and 41 at the end of the third quarter when Estrella Foothills had 104 points. Hawkins sat the fourth quarter, and the team ended up winning the Class 3A West Region tournament championship game 113-51.

Estrella Foothills is 108-5 with two state championships with him in the lineup.

"He was the one kid who would shoot for hours and hours and hours," Hersey said. "It started paying off for him.

"He's much more of a one-on-one player than I ever was. But I want to compliment the way he doesn't back down from anybody."

Congrats to Corey thats a terrific accomplishment, I look forward to watching him grow under Coach Sendek.

Last edited by a moderator:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This kid is going to lead the Pac-10 in scoring, 41 points in 3 quarters is sick no matter if you play 1A or 5A. Just a very talented kid, should be state POY.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawkins is a scorer, not a shooter, which is why I like him. He's long and strong. As he develops his J he will become a prolific scorer in college. He's a different kind of player than other guys ASU's recruited recently, other than Harden. He has a lot of Harden's qualities, just not nearly as polished. Although Hawkins probably has better handles ... he can go to either side and finish with either side. When Harden got here he was all left-hand. He's very intense and plays hard.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Id say Keala King fits that bill in a lot of ways too from what Ive read and the limited amount I've seen.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This kid is going to lead the Pac-10 in scoring, 41 points in 3 quarters is sick no matter if you play 1A or 5A. Just a very talented kid, should be state POY.

I'm guessing a few people won't like this post but here go anyways.

The scoring record is obviously a tremendous accomplishment and Hawkins deserves all the praise in the world, but this kid is never going to lead the Pac-10 in scoring for a multitude of reasons most notably Sendek's style of play and Hawkins moving to PG. Never going to happen - it's a pipe dream scenario.

From ASU people I've spoken with they think he's eventually going to be a good player who provides some scoring punch but also to note that there is a reason Herb has been recruiting over him since he committed. There's no comparing him to someone like a James Harden or Mike Bibby both of whom were NBA locks in high school. I've heard him be referred to as the next Lawrence Westbrook, another undersized combo that scored at a ridiculous rate at an Arizona HS and is having a nice career at Minnesota under Tubby Smith.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Hawkins moving to PG.

That may not be happening now with Dunson coming in.

note that there is a reason Herb has been recruiting over him since he committed. .

Of course you keep posting this with absolutely zero evidence to back it up, Sendek isn't recruiting any other 2 guards and hasn't been for some time. Inside guys and wings yes, 2 guards, no. But keep whistling through the dark.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That may not be happening now with Dunson coming in.
That makes my point that he'll never lead the Pac-10 in scoring even stronger, there's a much bigger jam on the wing at point at ASU.

Of course you keep posting this with absolutely zero evidence to back it up, Sendek isn't recruiting any other 2 guards and hasn't been for some time. Inside guys and wings yes, 2 guards, no. But keep whistling through the dark.
A 2 guard is a wing but whatever. Hawkins is and was recruited as a combo guard. Gary Franklin (actually very similar as a player to Hawkins) is a combo and Sendek recruited him very hard. Dunson is supposedly more of a combo than a true point as well. Brandon Thompson is the same thing. None of those guys are true wings nor true points.

He'll most likely be a good player. He's got the genes and the ability. Just that most people including those at ASU aren't exaggerating that ability because of his high school accomplishments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
That makes my point that he'll never lead the Pac-10 in scoring even stronger, there's a much bigger jam on the wing at point at ASU.

If I said he'd lead the Pac 10 in scoring, please highlight it. Oh wait...

A 2 guard is a wing but whatever.

Captain Pedantic strikes again! When I said wing I meant guys like Creekmur, Kuksiks, Lockett, etc. Shooting forwards that Herb likes, Im sure you knew that.

Hawkins is and was recruited as a combo guard. Gary Franklin (actually very similar as a player to Hawkins) is a combo and Sendek recruited him very hard. Dunson is supposedly more of a combo than a true point as well. Brandon Thompson is the same thing. None of those guys are wings nor points.

Well first off Brandon Thompson is looking more and more like he won't be here next year. You're right about those guys being combo guards, Sendeks system doesn't necessarily require a super strong traditional PG. McMillan is something of a combo guard as well. But that doesn't mean Sendek was recruiting 'over' Hawkins, that implies he was trying to drop Hawkins and get someone else, nothing could be further from the truth. It had more to do with getting additional planners, not someone instead of Hawkins. Everything points to that except your ever mysterious, oft incorrect 'inside sources'

He'll most likely be a good player. He's got the genes and the ability. Just that most people including those at ASU aren't exaggerating that ability because of his high school accomplishments.

I'm not exaggerating his abilities at all, he accomplished something terrific, I thought it deserved to be pointed out. Do I think he'll be Harden? No. But I think he'll probably be better than Ty Abbott. But I don't expect him to start his Freshman year or anything like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
That was the point I originally addressed, I wasn't even talking to you.

Yes it was the point you originally addresses then as you usually do, you went off on a tangent riddled with inaccuracies but hyper **** sure of yourself. There's zero evidence to support your claim that Hawkins was being recruited over by Sendek and staff and I corrected you on it.

Of course you got annoyed when someone corrected your infinite wisdom with actual facts, but I wasn't going to let you botch up another ASU thread with things that aren't even close to being true. You do it constantly and its beyond annoying.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Haha, you really got me Hoover. After all, you did a bang-up job of disproving my point that Sendek recruited several other combo guards after getting a commitment from Hawkins by...umm..admitting he recruited several other combo guards?

Recruiting over a player doesn't always mean you want him to transfer or drop his commitment, it just means at the very least Sendek is hedging his bets. You put words in my mouth on that one by suggesting that I implied Herb wants him out.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Sooooooo....Congrats Corey. Can't wait to see you next year in the maroon and gold.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The great thing about posting anything positive about the Sun Devils is Mao can come in and spray cold water over it. I just love that...

:barf:

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Haha, you really got me Hoover. After all, you did a bang-up job of disproving my point that Sendek recruited several other combo guards after getting a commitment from Hawkins by...umm..admitting he recruited several other combo guards?

Recruiting over a player doesn't always mean you want him to transfer or drop his commitment, it just means at the very least Sendek is hedging his bets. You put words in my mouth on that one by suggesting that I implied Herb wants him out.

Dunson is going to play PG obviously, much like Gary Franklin JR would've done, Brandon Thompson is on his way out most likely. The idea of Hawkins moving over to the 1 was only because at the time it looked like they didnt have any PGs, he's more of a scorer and will likely be used in that role now. For a long time you've said ASU is recruiting Hawkins but all the evidence points to that not being the case, Sendek has a minimum of 4 scholarships to give out this year with a probably 5 if Kuksiks leaves ad 6 if Thompson goes. That means Herb is going to take a lot of players and its not that he's recruiting over Hawkins.

The great thing about posting anything positive about the Sun Devils is Mao can come in and spray cold water over it. I just love that...

:barf:

Indeed. Just ONCE I want an ASU thread without UA fans coming in and being idiots. Please UA fans- BUZZ OFF.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know, the venom is pretty entertaining, and it's entertaining to get the Cats fans fired up as well. Plus, it's pretty much expected how both sides will react to any situation, so who cares?

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I don't know, the venom is pretty entertaining, and it's entertaining to get the Cats fans fired up as well. Plus, it's pretty much expected how both sides will react to any situation, so who cares?

the main thing that bothers me about it is that they have a preemptive bitching sticky on the top of their board. lol

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Yea you say anything bad about aAU over on their board and Jon is quick to delete it. Double standard much>?

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it just me, or has Hawkins been overlooked in the past..

The King get is terrific, but I think a lot of people chalk Hawkins HUGE scoring skills to competition, which why I think it certainy plays a role, I think if you can shoot you can shoot, and scoreing is scoring...

I think he will contribute to the Sun Devils more than many people think, and I personally think he will start doing that early on...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The King get is terrific, but I think a lot of people chalk Hawkins HUGE scoring skills to competition, which why I think it certainy plays a role, I think if you can shoot you can shoot, and scoreing is scoring...

I think he will contribute to the Sun Devils more than many people think, and I personally think he will start doing that early on...
That may be true, but scoring isn't scoring especially when you play at his level. Taylor Rohde averaged 30ppg in 4A and he's never going to be a serious contributor in the Pac-10. The most prolific scorer in Arizona high school basketball history was this kid named Lawrence Westbrook who averaged 41ppg for Chandler a few years back as a junior before he transferred to a prep school back east then ended up at Minnesota where he's currently a pretty average player. Demetrius Walker also put up 30 a night in 5A and he's probably not going to do all that much at the college level. At the same time Ty Abbott averaged about half of those guys and about the same as Fat Lever's kid and he's a 1st team All Pac-10 performer.

If Hawkins makes it at ASU it'll be because he improves his jump shot and works his butt off in the gym to give him some more athleticism to make up for being a undersized SG, not because he puts up 35 every night against the Phoenix School of the Blind.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If Hawkins makes it at ASU it'll be because he improves his jump shot and works his butt off in the gym to give him some more athleticism to make up for being a undersized SG, not because he puts up 35 every night against the Phoenix School of the Blind.

I'm shocked you're so positive about him! I certainly expect Hawkins to be more McMillan than Harden, but you conveniently forget to mention that Hawkins has put up very good numbers against top competition.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
That may be true, but scoring isn't scoring especially when you play at his level. Taylor Rohde averaged 30ppg in 4A and he's never going to be a serious contributor in the Pac-10. The most prolific scorer in Arizona high school basketball history was this kid named Lawrence Westbrook who averaged 41ppg for Chandler a few years back as a junior before he transferred to a prep school back east then ended up at Minnesota where he's currently a pretty average player. Demetrius Walker also put up 30 a night in 5A and he's probably not going to do all that much at the college level. At the same time Ty Abbott averaged about half of those guys and about the same as Fat Lever's kid and he's a 1st team All Pac-10 performer.

comparing it to Taylor Rhode shows that you are not being unbiased. Rhode wasn't shooting jumpshots, he was juts bigger than everyone. Be real.