Has this not been a great off season

seesred

Reaction score
I can't remember when we have had so much fun and excitment during an off season. How many things have happened? Our QB of the future is gone and the talk of the town (DENVER). Our best WR gone to the beach. New players, new stadiums, a great running back, draft picks to trade or upgrade.

When you think about all that has happened thus far it's unbelievable! New coaches, a new GM (Nickname get em Graves) put on a show for the home town. Nobody really knows where to pick these guys. It's a new team and we are not finished yet. WOW! I can't wait for the next day it could be Seau or who knows. We could be 12-4 or 4-12? I'm pumped!

GBR

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by seesred
I can't remember when we have had so much fun and excitment during an off season. How many things have happened? Our QB of the future is gone and the talk of the town (DENVER). Our best WR gone to the beach. New players, new stadiums, a great running back, draft picks to trade or upgrade.

When you think about all that has happened thus far it's unbelievable! New coaches, a new GM (Nickname get em Graves) put on a show for the home town. Nobody really knows where to pick these guys. It's a new team and we are not finished yet. WOW! I can't wait for the next day it could be Seau or who knows. We could be 12-4 or 4-12? I'm pumped!

GBR

I'm not really pumped about the 4-12 part....:(

But I'll have faith until proven wrong.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

GBR

I was thinking we were doing rather well also then I picked up the latest Sporting News and they had us listed in the bottom six of teams that have had a lousy off season. Sure burst my bubble. Maybe we are all so anxious to believe that we cannot see the forest for the trees. We shall see come September.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
Re: Re: Has this not been a great off season

Originally posted by john h
I was thinking we were doing rather well also then I picked up the latest Sporting News and they had us listed in the bottom six of teams that have had a lousy off season. Sure burst my bubble. Maybe we are all so anxious to believe that we cannot see the forest for the trees. We shall see come September.

I wouldn't worry about it. The Sporting News article was probably just another one written by an writer who has seen 1 Cards game in the last two years. And that was probably to do an analysis of the team they played against. The guy figures the Cards lost Boston and Plummer (probably half the Card's players he's ever heard of) so thinks there is nothing the team can do to recover this offseason.
Most of the national media probably don't even realize Boston has had knee problems or that Jake's QB rating has been so consistent over the years. :D

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
We have had a good off season forget those national writer dolts. We lost two players and gained seven. Have we won with those two? Nope. It would be insane to try and keep winning with the same players over and over with the same result.

The one pickup I really love is James Hodgins. He will simply blow up opposing linebackers. He is the wild card to help Emmitt and Shipp gain some big yards. These hack writers just don't wan't to give us our props.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I am sick of the talk that writters dont follow the cards and they never know what they are talking about. It is an excuse some people use to hide from the truth. We have not had a good off-season. We got rid of one of the best WR's in the game for nothing, and have not upgraded any of the needs on this team. You could say QB but i dont think blake will get us more wins than we had last year. We signed a middle of the pack safety that will have the same stats as klass did. We signed some depth guys and then we signed smith which was nothing more than PR. We still have no D-line, no #2 CB, and no #1 or #2 WR. Hodgins is an upgrade but he wont make a difference when there is 7 or 8 in the box gunning for the QB and the RB. The cards will be blitzed more than ever due to lack of talent at WR which means some guys will come in clear to get a sack or a tackle in the backfield. I am sorry about the negativity i dont do this often but i feel that this team has not made themselves better yet. If holliday is signed and we get some studs in the draft then i will think we have had a good off-season, but for now i have to agree with the writter.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
been a little while since ive posted, I hope everyone is well...

I think we have had a good offseason. I like the pick ups we made. Surprisingly though, there was a lot of controversy. go figure ;-)

hope springs eternal

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
I am sick of the talk that writters dont follow the cards and they never know what they are talking about. It is an excuse some people use to hide from the truth. We have not had a good off-season. We got rid of one of the best WR's in the game for nothing, and have not upgraded any of the needs on this team. You could say QB but i dont think blake will get us more wins than we had last year. We signed a middle of the pack safety that will have the same stats as klass did. We signed some depth guys and then we signed smith which was nothing more than PR. We still have no D-line, no #2 CB, and no #1 or #2 WR. Hodgins is an upgrade but he wont make a difference when there is 7 or 8 in the box gunning for the QB and the RB. The cards will be blitzed more than ever due to lack of talent at WR which means some guys will come in clear to get a sack or a tackle in the backfield. I am sorry about the negativity i dont do this often but i feel that this team has not made themselves better yet. If holliday is signed and we get some studs in the draft then i will think we have had a good off-season, but for now i have to agree with the writter.

Damn - and you said I was negative? I agree however with what you wrote thru and thru - get holliday, have a good draft and hopefully a WR falls from the sky - the sad thing is IF We were able to re-sign Boston and we got Holliday - I would have called this the best offseason ever - no question.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
I am sick of the talk that writters dont follow the cards and they never know what they are talking about. It is an excuse some people use to hide from the truth. We have not had a good off-season.

I for one will not say the team should be in the top 10 for performance in the offseason so far (they maybe could've used the franchise and/or transition tags). But I don't think they have been in the bottom 10 either (Boston's knee is a risk, Plummer is...well... Plummer).
What did the writers expect the team to do, somehow trade all their players from last year for better ones? What more could they have done to get Colvin signed? Threaten to contract a mob hit on him if he didn't accept more money to play here?

Let's not get our expectations too high. After last season the team could have a spectacular offseason and still have some holes. There were just too many to fill and not enough good free agents.
So far they've upgraded the FB, QB, added quality depth to the O-Line, LB, and RB, plus lowered the cap cost and gotten younger (with no loss of talent) at safety. And they are still front runners for the best available DE on the market.
With a decent draft and if Dennis Johnson, Wendall Bryant, Jason McAddley, Bryan Gilmore, etc. can improve over last year this could be a competive team. I'm not predicting any Super Bowl runs, but dammit, I'll be happy if we just don't have to sit through anymore 20+ point blowouts. :mad:

The Cards have been in a deep hole. It will take a while to dig out. But this offseason looks like a start. Why won't the national media give them credit for it? Probably for the same reason some very respected analysts did not realize Boston was playing with a sore knee and a LisFranc injury last year and thought Michael Pittman was going to be Tampa Bay's Priest Holmes. They just don't bother to do any research on the Cards.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score

Sorry but we have every right to bitch about the writers accross america that dont have a clue about the Cards, I mean how many writers over the last month have written that Emmitt Smith has moved to a team that doesnt have a playoff win in over xx years? Thesepeople dont take the time to research the facts so sorry if we have a bad opinion of thier opinions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
1616 i agree with you whole-heartedly. unless it's an article on a specific team, i think you'll see the same type of mistakes made about every team by national writers. it's not a matter of ignoring the cards, they just don't have the time or access to get as in depth with every team as is necessary to stop zealots (that's what we are) from catching them in mistakes. and, i have to agree, this is not a "great" offseason. beefy was right, if we'd retained boston i'd have been psyched, but instead, we created the second largest hole on our squad, and that particular hole, unless it's filled with a legitimate threat (to be read "experience"), will negate some of our other signings b/c other teams will creep up their defense. hodgins can only block one guy at a time.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by JasonKGME
Sorry but we have every right to bitch about the writers accross america that dont have a clue about the Cards, I mean how many writers over the last month have written that Emmitt Smith has moved to a team that doesnt have a playoff win in over xx years? Thesepeople dont take the time to research the facts so sorry if we have a bad opinion of thier opinions.

You dont get it you dont have the right to bitch because the writters do know about the cards just no one cares. They have their job as a sports writter for a reason, if you think they are doing such a bad job why do you read press releases and believe them true. You are steamed because you think the cards get no respect and you are right but the cards do not earn respect from writters around the country. If you were not a card fan would you want to hear a story about arizona, do you think anyone else cares? It is all about the people and what the people want to do is read stories abut players they have heard of and teams that are good. You have your opinion and that is fine but dont be steamed at the writters be mad at the cardinals for making this situation, if they won once in a while you might get a story. Start looking at things with some realism instead of a fan. I am a die hard fan but i look at things with realism. Life is not fair so you just have to suck it up, grab some wood build a bridge and get over it.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
You dont get it you dont have the right to bitch because the writters do know about the cards just no one cares. They have their job as a sports writter for a reason, if you think they are doing such a bad job why do you read press releases and believe them true. You are steamed because you think the cards get no respect and you are right but the cards do not earn respect from writters around the country. If you were not a card fan would you want to hear a story about arizona, do you think anyone else cares? It is all about the people and what the people want to do is read stories abut players they have heard of and teams that are good. You have your opinion and that is fine but dont be steamed at the writters be mad at the cardinals for making this situation, if they won once in a while you might get a story. Start looking at things with some realism instead of a fan. I am a die hard fan but i look at things with realism. Life is not fair so you just have to suck it up, grab some wood build a bridge and get over it.

Your right, they have a job to do, and that is why we as Cards fans have every right to be steamed when they dont do ALL of thier job. Part of that job is to make sure they have thier facts straight. Most of them dont bother because of that lack of respect your talking about they feel they can just state blatent opinion and make things up to sound good because noone will really care if it is wrong.

That is what I am steamed about. If someone wants to write an article stating in thier OPINION of something on the Cards more power too them, I may very well disagree with thier OPINION, but I wouldnt get steamed. I do however have a problem with writers who decide to write articles as "fact" when they havent checked thier facts.

Here is the portion about the Cards in the sporting news article dated 3/28/03:

1. Cardinals. OK, they decided to start over at two key positions by letting QB Jake Plummer, WRs David Boston and MarTay Jenkins go, but where's the youth movement? Jeff Blake and Emmitt Smith would be nice additions for a veteran club, but at 32 and 33 respectively, they don't fit the long-term mix.

Following former Ravens cornerback Duane Starks' lead, Super Bowl MVP safety Dexter Jackson went for desert bucks with the ring already in hand. Jackson is only 25, and should be a solid contributor, but considering the Cards had holes in many places, spreading their spending would have made more sense.

First - Where's the younth movement??? OK, lets see all of our current WR class are within thier first 3 years in the NFL, is that not youth enough when you talk about letting DB & Martay go??? Is this a plus, maybe not, letting Martay go is no biggie in my mind, wether or not letting Boston go we wont know for sure until 2 things happen, #1 what does boston do over the next year or two, and #2 what do the young guys on the cards due the next year or two. But lets not whine about youth movement because we signed Blake and Smith,m when we also signed Jackson & Hodges both in their 4th year of the NFL.

Second - Speading that spending would have been nice. He makes the whole thing sound like we signed 3 guys, Blake, Smith and Jackson. No mention of the other 4 players we had signed up till then. No comment that we offered the house to Colvin and were attempting to "spread the wealth", No comment that we were still trying to sign Holliday.

And $5 says this guy wrote some article last year somewhere on how the cards were such a young team and probably should add some vetern leadership if they want to make it to the next level.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score

I totally agree seesred.

This has been one of the most entertaining off-seasons I can remember. I think it's great that people get all riled up over what they believe. It's part of what makes the NFL great.

We haven't even got to the draft yet... That's gonna be fun. Right now, I think it's safe to say that nobody has any idea what's gonna go down in the top ten, let alone the rest of it.

I'm not sure whether or not we're better at this point, but I'm excited about the new QB, RB, FB, #1WR*.
It could work. It could fail miserably....

The NFL rules.

Who wants to fight? C'mon, cheese. Let's throw down.
weee.

OP
OP
seesred

seesred

Reaction score
What I meant was...This off season has been full of mystery from day to day. One day it's Holiday next it's take a Holiday. Ots to talk about, think about. That is what makes it so much fun. THere have been off season like..1999 lose, Larry, Lose Brown, Lose, lose, lose. LOse, Proel, Lose, Buerline, lose, lose lose. THis year there have been loses, Plummer and Boston, Kwamii and Mar tay, but at least the front office is fighting back. WQe have made offers to good solid kids who unfourtunatly did not sign with us for what ever reason, But word is out there we are building and not just to play , we are building to win.
Graves was promoted from within. So what? Let him and Coach Mac continue to make this off season even more exciting and if it doesn't happen, this time I know we are trying...

GBR

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I believe it has been a good off season. The additions so far have more than offset the subtractions. We now have a QB who can see the entire field not just half of it. A real NFL FB and upgrade at safety. I could see Darling plugging the middle.

I think you will see a lot more play action on first and second downs with many more short routes that will take the place of running plays but be just as effective.

If nothing else we now have a QB who has the ability to stretch the field and receivers who can blow past just about any CB in the league.

The short passing game will open it up for the S&S connection to grind it out late in a game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn