Hamilton... An American musical.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this. I thought about putting it in P&R but I hope it doesn't go in that direction.

POLITICS ASIDE --- Please, nobody say the T word... And I know they pissed off everyone on the right so there has been a lot of nit picking, but historical embellishments and political opinions aside....

Anyways, my daughter is super into this Musical. She's been singing the songs and talking about it for months. I had heard a lot about it and I knew it was sold out for months in advance, etc, but I still have a little of that; (Oh well everyone is into that so I'm NOT going to check it out cuz I'm super cool...) in me sometimes. lol But then I was listening to one of the songs with my daughter the other day and I'm like wait, so is it like, a history musical? I thought it was just set in that time and it was all made up... But seriously the whole thing is filled with quotes and explains a lot of how things happened. Like Hamilton creating America's financial system, but in a way that 13 year old kids are interested??? What sorcery is this? Who are these evil geniuses??? lol Why is my daughter crying over the death of Alexander Hamilton???

So I started listening to it as I drove on a road trip and I gotta say it's pretty freaking amazing. I listened all the way through and wow, it was pretty great. I didn't know, really much at all about Hamilton it turns out, and I also learned that Thomas Jefferson was a huge *****. lol jk

I really think it's great for everyone, left, right and down the middle. It's really just the story of Alexander Hamilton and the origins of America. The songs are AMAZING. The cabinet battles which are done like "Rap Battles" are so awesome.

I thought it was really interesting and honestly, it made me feel patriotic. So to my friends on the right, put politics aside and maybe just give it a listen, because it really is cool and filled with lots of American history. You'll probably enjoy it more than you want to admit. It humanized a lot of the founding fathers for me and gave me a greater appreciation for what they accomplished.

If you are interested in American History, I think you would like it if you just download the score and listen to it. I thought it was really well done.

Here's one of my favorite numbers. It's the introduction to George Washington and how Hamilton became his "Right hand man"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
From the Smitsonian website, a bit of historical background about Hamilton "Stealing British Cannons"

"...Two months later, the last hundred British troops withdrew from Manhattan, going aboard the 64-gun man-of-war Asia . At 11 o’clock on the night of August 23, Continental Army Artillery captain John Lamb gave orders for his company, supported by Hamilton’s volunteers and a light infantry unit, to seize two dozen cannons from the battery at the island’s southern tip. The Asia’s captain, having been warned by Loyalists that the Patriots would raid the fort that night, posted a patrol barge with redcoats just offshore. Shortly after midnight, the British spotted Hamilton, his friend Hercules Mulligan, and about 100 comrades tugging on ropes they had attached to the heavy guns. The redcoats opened a brisk musket fire from the barge. Hamilton and the militiamen returned fire, killing a redcoat. At this, the Asiahoisted sail and began working in close to shore, firing a 32-gun broadside of solid shot. One cannonball pierced the roof of FrauncesTavern at Broad and Pearl Streets. Many years later Mulligan would recall: “I was engaged in hauling off one of the cannons, when Mister Hamilton came up and gave me his musket to hold and he took hold of the rope. . . . Hamilton [got] away with the cannon. I left his musket in the Battery and retreated. As he was returning, I met him and he asked for his piece. I told him where I had left it and he went for it, notwithstanding the firing continued, with as much concern as if the [Asia] had not been there."”

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/hamilton-takes-command-74722445/#D2SoDtDK3kjuMH6g.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cabinet Battle #1

It's so awesome lol.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter (senior in HS) loves Hamilton and can sing most of the songs and raps as well. She also managed to use some of that knowledge in her AP US History class, lol.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I had signed up for the pre-sale but by the time they got to me, only seats left were orchestra seats at $500. I would've paid that for the original cast in NYC, but not a touring company, lol. The nosebleed seats (originally at $75) are now on ticketmaster at $300 ea.

I'll try my luck with the $10 lottery tickets.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had signed up for the pre-sale but by the time they got to me, only seats left were orchestra seats at $500. I would've paid that for the original cast in NYC, but not a touring company, lol. The nosebleed seats (originally at $75) are now on ticketmaster at $300 ea.

I'll try my luck with the $10 lottery tickets.

:eek: When does the Blu-ray come out?