Half time show

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Oh, there's plenty of talent. But most major pop acts wouldn't fit the vibe, and the NFL would never go the right route and just get a big name rapper, so usually they'll get a popstar past their prime or an old rock band. I'm actually glad they got The Weeknd. Feels like the first time in awhile where they actually had a good act.
Most rappers are absolutely awful live.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I thought the guys wearing jock straps on their faces smacked of hazing. I did think the technical aspects were outstanding. I was glad to see him do his hits; some performers don’t seem to feel that obligation. I agree, like many live performances, the words were hard to follow if you didn’t know the songs. He might be a little to recent whereas being a performer with a broad based audience.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He should've led with his hit single, Blinding Lights. The heavy 80's vibe would've helped people I think. I kept asking who the heck he was, but then he finally sang Blinding Lights and it clicked.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should've led with his hit single, Blinding Lights. The heavy 80's vibe would've helped people I think. I kept asking who the heck he was, but then he finally sang Blinding Lights and it clicked.

I agree it would have helped if The Weeknd led with "Blinding Lights." I recognized the singer immediately but it's the song I am most familiar with and like.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The SIRIUS guys echo'd my sentments -

Not terrible, but kind of boring.

But what do I know? I miss Miles, Monk, Trane and Dizzy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Were the face/head bandages an homage to his recent facial surgery? My boys were talking about his surgery like a week ago and that’s what we thought it was - and I thought that’s really weird (didn’t phase my 9 and 10 year olds).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are old old. He is one of the top performers in the world

Among the world's best-selling music artists, with over 75 million records sold,[11] The Weeknd has won three Grammy Awards, five American Music Awards, nine Billboard Music Awards, two MTV Video Music Awards, nine Juno Awards, and has been nominated for an Academy Award.[12] He holds several chart records, being the first artist to simultaneously hold the top three positions on the Billboard Hot R&B Songs chart with "Can't Feel My Face", "Earned It", and "The Hills". The Weeknd was awarded the Allan Slaight Award by Canada's Walk of Fame.[13]

He isn't big enough to headline a Super Bowl on his own. Linda loves The Weeknd and thought the show was terrible. :shrug:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, there's plenty of talent. But most major pop acts wouldn't fit the vibe, and the NFL would never go the right route and just get a big name rapper, so usually they'll get a popstar past their prime or an old rock band. I'm actually glad they got The Weeknd. Feels like the first time in awhile where they actually had a good act.

They did have Ludacris for the Atlanta SB, so there's that...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "Jock Strap" look is what he wore to the Emmys to signify aspects of his music changing.

Kind of like in Starboy where he kills his prior look and torches his place. Elements of performance art

You must be registered for see images attach

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Just watched it and I guess if he put up his own money to do the show, he gets to call the shots on how it's performed. That said, I thought the performance was pretty mundane in elements of entertainment. His voice is run of the mill and nothing special. He would be lucky to be in the final ten of the old show American Idol. In summation it was nothing special. It did however, give him national exposure.