Grasping at straws - Zone blocking

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If its true that we are going to use more zone blocking. I was thinking it would benifit Colledge, Snyder, and Sendline. They are not the most powerful guys but in zone you need to be more athletic that powerful right? Seems that is a better fit for the guys we have.

Like the thread title says, grasping at straws...

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Personally, I do not know where people are getting this from?

Is there a link or a source that says we are going to a zone blocking scheme ?

Might I add, I would love to go to a zone blocking scheme, but everything I have heard was "double-team kick out" i.e. power running game, with SOME zone when running to the outside.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yea I just keep seeing people mention it...

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Beers, I don't recall talk of zone blocking. What BA said about our line was that he was convinced that much of what was wrong about the way we played could be fixed by teaching our current roster proper techniques and fundamentals. He said that the talent was there already, and that he would supply extra position coaches to do the teaching job. I believe that he has now hired about 4 coaches who can help our OL roster.

In addition, he said that he intended to help our OT's with assistance from 2 TE sets, by using the TE's to chip, (or even double), on problem pass rushers. Having an extra TE in the pass pattern could help too, instead of having 5 wideouts and no blockers. I believe the days of leaving our OT's alone on an island against elite pass rushers is finally, (and thankfully), over.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
From what I've read about Arians and Pittsburgh is that one reason he was allowed to leave was they were unhappy with the way the offensive line was performing and they wanted to go BACK to a zone blocking scheme.

If that's true and the Steelers liked Grimms oline better than Arians we're in trouble.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally, I do not know where people are getting this from?

Is there a link or a source that says we are going to a zone blocking scheme ?

Might I add, I would love to go to a zone blocking scheme, but everything I have heard was "double-team kick out" i.e. power running game, with SOME zone when running to the outside.

This is what I've heard as well. I know Mitch keeps talking about BA implementing a ZBS so maybe he heard or read something we missed.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've read about Arians and Pittsburgh is that one reason he was allowed to leave was they were unhappy with the way the offensive line was performing and they wanted to go BACK to a zone blocking scheme.

If that's true and the Steelers liked Grimms oline better than Arians we're in trouble.

Jake, I hadn't heard that, but if its true, that gives me cause for concern too. Does anyone on the board have knowledge of this? I would be greatly saddened if they were unhappy with his performance with the O-line.

Quinn McCollum

Veteran
Reaction score
Really I don't think Arians going to care all that much about the OL. No QB got hit more then Luck did last year. His time with the Steelers his offense was in top 10 for QB hits given up every year he was OC. Who every Arians has at QB is going to get hit. That just how it goes when you run a vertical offense with a lot of 5 and 7 step drop backs with long developing WR routes.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
So tired of being ignorant about this topic.

Just got my arse handed to me because I said "power running" and associated it with Bruce Arians.

Not fun.

So, time to get edumicated.

Please post anything, I can care less about the "validity of the source" so we can start trying to answer this question once and for all.

What the hell type of running game are we going to see ?

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I think the offense is better running power than zone. If you are running a zone-blocking offense you would need to obtain the players and start coaching it right away. All-in practicing from early camp trying to implement the new blocking scheme. Not sure if you can just run a couple of zone plays here and there. One of the major advantages of the zone-blocking is you wear down the other teams DL, and punish them in the fourth quarter. It doesn't work if your OL is not physically fit enough to stay energetic in the fourth. Cards line is built for power, not for a zone-blocking scheme.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think the offense is better running power than zone. If you are running a zone-blocking offense you would need to obtain the players and start coaching it right away. All-in practicing from early camp trying to implement the new blocking scheme. Not sure if you can just run a couple of zone plays here and there. One of the major advantages of the zone-blocking is you wear down the other teams DL, and punish them in the fourth quarter. It doesn't work if your OL is not physically fit enough to stay energetic in the fourth. Cards line is built for power, not for a zone-blocking scheme.

Every NFL team runs both man- and zone-blocking techniques in every game. It's just that some teams favor more of one concept than another, on balance.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I dont know the first thing about zone blocking but somehow Shanahan was able to pull someone out of the bleachers to rush for 1000 yards every year in his zone schemes.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
If its true that we are going to use more zone blocking. I was thinking it would benifit Colledge, Snyder, and Sendline. They are not the most powerful guys but in zone you need to be more athletic that powerful right? Seems that is a better fit for the guys we have.

Like the thread title says, grasping at straws...

Terrible fit for those guys. Horrible fit for the Arian's expected scheme.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Terrible fit for those guys. Horrible fit for the Arian's expected scheme.

Is that his scheme tho.

I have been rattling this around in the old noggin'

I honestly think we are all lost/confused/not certain because of semantics.

The only thing I have confidence in, is when I know that Shanahan "stretch-zone" when I see it, and that isn't bragging. I think a lot of people are able to know if someone is running that type of zone blocking scheme.

Not only that, the concept of the running style is the smaller more athletic offensive lineman......or at least that is what is talked about out there in football land.

If you look at the Redskins offensive linemen, they got some big guys in there. Yes, they have that prototypical 284lbs center, and 305 lbs guards but they do have some bigger guys on the line.

When looking at the Texans offensive linemen, as one would expect, the offensive linemen are pretty much what you would expect, and almost mirrors the Redskins group.

I dunno. I would love to have the answer more clear about what the Cardinals are doing right now, but it will be answered soon enough.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Here's what we know:

1) Arians said that he's a double-team kick out guy.
2) Arians also said that they will incorporate some zone especially running to the outside.
3) Lastly Arians stated that the oldest plays in football work the best.

What I take from that is... We will be a "man" / power team primarily. DTKO is NOT zone concept. However, like most other NFL teams we'll be running some zone too. #3 above is key because Arians was a grad assistant under Bear Bryant at Bama, so the "oldest" comment would seem to indicate more power / man than zone.

Hope that clears it up!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Here's what we know:

1) Arians said that he's a double-team kick out guy.

That is what I heard, but I am being told I am wrong, and that is not what he said.

Yet, for the life of me, I cannot find the video/article where he states that, so that is up in the air on the board, in general right now.

2) Arians also said that they will incorporate some zone especially running to the outside.
3) Lastly Arians stated that the oldest plays in football work the best.

What I take from that is... We will be a "man" / power team primarily. DTKO is NOT zone concept. However, like most other NFL teams we'll be running some zone too. #3 above is key because Arians was a grad assistant under Bear Bryant at Bama, so the "oldest" comment would seem to indicate more power / man than zone.

Hope that clears it up!

Again, I agree with this.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Further evidence required??? Just look at the Steeler team that beat us in the Super Bowl with both Arians and Goodwin on that side of the ball. They were NOT a zone team, nor did they have the horses to run it and neither will the Cards when we open the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson