Game Notes - Yotes vs the 'Ning

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Phoenix Coyotes center Chris Gratton returns to Tampa Bay tonight, the same city where his NHL career began._

Gratton has evolved from an 18-year-old rookie with the Lightning in 1993 into a leader on the Coyotes in 2003._ Gratton has helped guide the Coyotes to_a perfect 3-0 start, tying the team's best record since 1987._ With a win tonight over the Lightning at the St. Pete Times Forum, the Coyotes will move to 4-0 and set a record for the best start in franchise history._ Game time is 4:00 p.m. Arizona time and will be broadcast on Fox Sports Net Arizona and KDUS – AM 1060.

Gratton was Tampa Bay’s first choice (3rd overall) in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft and made the Lightning as a teenager in the fall of 1993._ As a rookie, Gratton was the youngest player in the NHL during the 1993-94 season._ The 6-foot-4 center managed to play in all 84 games during his first professional campaign and collect 13-29-42 totals with 123 penalty minutes (PIM)._

“My experiences with Tampa Bay were very positive and I have a lot of great memories_from my time spent with the Lightning,” said Gratton, who is in his 11th NHL season._ “The fans there are very loyal and really support the hockey team._ I was fortunate the organization gave me an opportunity to play in the NHL and I had a lot of fun there early in my career.”

The Brantford, Ontario native was viewed upon as the building block for the organization and the player that would lead the young franchise to success both on and off the ice._ In Gratton’s third season with the Lightning, he helped guide the team to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the very first time and match up against the Philadelphia Flyers._ Even though Tampa Bay would eventually lose the series to the Flyers in six games, the expectations had been set for the future.

“One of my most memorable moments in hockey was the season we made the playoffs in Tampa Bay,” said Gratton._ “I remember we played in front of 28,000 fans at the Thunder Dome for our two post-season home games and the atmosphere was electric._ We had some great leadership on our team that season and it translated into success.”

As a young player, the 6-foot-4, 221-pound center was fortunate to have a strong group of veteran players around to help him adjust to life in the NHL both on and off the ice._ An aspect of the game that Gratton hasn’t forgotten and he is more than willing to assist the young players on the Coyotes roster.

“We had a good group of veterans my first year with Tampa,” said Gratton, who turned 28 this past July._ “Guys like John Tucker, Rob Zamuner, and Brian Bradley all helped me through the early part of my career learning the pro game._ I learned a lot from those guys and it is funny to think I am now in their shoes.”_

When Gratton looks at the current Tampa Bay roster, there are no players remaining with the organization from the early years._ It is a franchise that currently has a stabilized ownership group in place and an organization that made the playoffs last year for the first time since 1996._ The Lightning_are the defending Southeast Division champion and Gratton realizes how tough of a test Thursday’s game will be for Phoenix.

“They have a very talented team that has some speedy forwards in Vincent Lecavalier and Brad Richards,” said Gratton._ “They have a strong core of defensemen have two quality goaltenders in Nikolai Khabibulin and John Grahame._ As a team they enjoyed tremendous success last year and I am sure they are hungry for more._ Thursday will be a good challenge for our hockey team.”__

TEAM LEADERS

PHOENIX COYOTES (3-0-0-0)

Goals – Daymond Langkow (2)

Assists – Mike Johnson (3)

Points – Shane Doan/Daymond Langkow/Mike Johnson (3)

Goaltenders – Sean Burke (3-0-0, 0.65 gaa, .976 save percentage)

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING (1-0-0-0)

Goals – Cory Stillman (2)

Assists –Brad Richards/Vincent Lecavalier (2)

Points – Cory Stillman (3)

Goaltenders – Nikolai Khabibulin (1-0-0-0, 1.00 gaa, .967 save percentage)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coyotes lose 5-1. Tough team to beat after playing last night. How I wish Khabibulin was still a Coyote.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison