Fresno State at ASU

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Pyne start if he is healthy?

I think he would need another week to get ready. One week to see how he is doing in practice, which gives Rashada another week to improve, then pull the trigger if that's the call.

Lot's of problems other than QB though, including the Oline situation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Check out the depth chart and note OT's Glass and Bohl are both now out with injuries. We are down to one offensive tackle on each side. Not sure what happens if one of those guys go down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tons of praise for Rashada in the presser today. Also mentioned that Pyne should be available. That would almost seem like a head fake to start Pyne. If not that, perhaps overcompensating for a possible move to start Pyne. I'll have to watch the video.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offensive lineman Ben Coleman is also out.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, I watched the presser on the video below.

My take is that if Pyne is good to go and healthy, they will start him and let Rashada sit for the time being. Just an opinion based upon how his comments came across in the first part of the presser.

I also think that Pyne's experience will allow him to make quicker reads, which is important with the decimated line.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't start a freshman QB behind a decimated o-line. At the end of KD's comments, he talked about viewing the offensive unit as a whole and putting the best package together. So I think this is where this is headed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I watched the presser on the video below.

My take is that if Pyne is good to go and healthy, they will start him and let Rashada sit for the time being. Just an opinion based upon how his comments came across in the first part of the presser.

I also think that Pyne's experience will allow him to make quicker reads, which is important with the decimated line.

It's interesting, Trenton Bourguet was not even mentioned. He has experience and can both pass and run.

I guess Dillingham has decided to go with the youngsters, win or lose.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's interesting, Trenton Bourguet was not even mentioned. He has experience and can both pass and run.

I guess Dillingham has decided to go with the youngsters, win or lose.
Agree except for the last part. There are just some aspects of TBs game that aren't strong enough for what KD wants to do. If TB gave us the best chance to win, I think KD would start him from everything he's said.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree except for the last part. There are just some aspects of TBs game that aren't strong enough for what KD wants to do. If TB gave us the best chance to win, I think KD would start him from everything he's said.

I think Trenton Bourguet gives ASU the best chance to win now, at this point in the season.

Later in the season, the situation will likely change as the other quarterbacks catch up with the mental part of the game. They appear more athletically gifted.

IMO, Dillingham is looking ahead and doing what is best for the future of the team. It's a catch-22. I can't disagree with this philosophy. A coach can't have a carousel at quarterback.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Trenton Bourguet gives ASU the best chance to win now, at this point in the season.

Later in the season, the situation will likely change as the other quarterbacks catch up with the mental part of the game. They appear more athletically gifted.

IMO, Dillingham is looking ahead and doing what is best for the future of the team. It's a catch-22. I can't disagree with this philosophy. A coach can't have a carousel at quarterback.
Right now TB > JR probably. Pyne is kind of an unknown commodity to ASU fans. What a mess, lol. Please just beat Fresno State and get healthy!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now TB > JR probably. Pyne is kind of an unknown commodity to ASU fans. What a mess, lol. Please just beat Fresno State and get healthy!

It wouldn't be a shocker to me if Dillingham played Bourguet with the offensive line in shambles. He understands the need to run the ball. All will be answered on Saturday.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's the KD quote re the QB situation

Now for us moving forward, we have to look at our current personnel, current roster. Our players are in the best position possible to be successful this week. What puts our players in the best position to be successful moving forward within the program.”

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would play Rashada another week. if these coaches are any good they can scheme guys open and set Rashada up for success. If Rashada needs to be benched because the situation isn’t perfect, is he really the answer?

I know he is only a freshman but you need to allow him to continue to get action. He needs to see the complicated defensive looks and blitz packages and process those things. The only real way the game slows down is to play. Yes he can glean some info from the sidelines and watching tape but it is always better to do it.

Fresno State is no joke. They are well coached and an upper echelon G5 team. This is the perfect opportunity to allow Rashada to learn lessons from last week and try to apply those lessons to this week.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would play Rashada another week. if these coaches are any good they can scheme guys open and set Rashada up for success. If Rashada needs to be benched because the situation isn’t perfect, is he really the answer?

I know he is only a freshman but you need to allow him to continue to get action. He needs to see the complicated defensive looks and blitz packages and process those things. The only real way the game slows down is to play. Yes he can glean some info from the sidelines and watching tape but it is always better to do it.

Fresno State is no joke. They are well coached and an upper echelon G5 team. This is the perfect opportunity to allow Rashada to learn lessons from last week and try to apply those lessons to this week.

Fresno State is also on an 11-game winning streak, the second longest in the nation.

Dillingham indicates that we got a few more injuries in practice today, and people will be playing out of their regular positions. I can see why we are the underdog here, lol

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty good preview of Fresno State on this video, they have a Fresno State podcaster that shares all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard