Free Agents still available

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Seriously though, why the hell did we sign Piatkowski over guys like Padgett and Kukoc?

Piatkowski is the team's 12th man. He's filling the old "Steve Kerr role".

What the Suns are looking for now are their 9th and 10th men (or, if they're lucky, their 8th and 10th men). Piatkowski is a desperation choice for those spots, but most of the FAs out there would be worthless in 12th spot.

Kolo

Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Would anyone else here do a sign and trade with Cleveland sending them Kurt Thomas for Drew Gooden signed for $7-8Mil per over 4 years?

Cleveland is looking to get tougher in the post. I've thought myself that Gooden would be a great fit here. I like him far better than most. Gooden/Amare/Matrix/Diaw would be a pretty good frontcourt rotation.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
"Seriously though, why the hell did we sign Piatkowski over guys like Padgett and Kukoc?

I still don't understand why we signed him so early into the freeagency period."

So they look like they are doing something.

Maybe because he was cheap? :p

The Suns are a team that needs lots of three point shooters because of the way they play. Last season D'Antoni did not trust anyone beyond his rotation players.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If you quit rooting for the Suns every time they waste a jersey, it's no wonder you only have 20 posts...

ya...sure buddy, it was more a tongue and cheek statement...i love the suns...KVH is just a scrub

im sorry i dont have more posts to meet your elitism

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Bill, David Wesly doesn't spell N A S H. He signed with the Cavs to spell S N O W.

=================
Here's an EVT article on who the Suns may be seeking.
The Suns have money to spend, with both the trade exception Salmons turned down and the mid-level exception of $5.3 million at their disposal.

"I'm a little disappointed we're not further along and a little surprised we're not," Suns director of basketball operations David Griffin said. "But we weren't putting all our energy on John Salmons. We have been pursuing other deals on parallel tracks and we'll shift our focus in that direction."

Among the guards in the free agent market, Minnesota's Marcus Banks is probably the most intriguing name left, although playing time would come into play as it did with Salmons. The Suns also have shown interest in ex-Sun Tony Delk, Minnesota's Marko Jaric and Eddie House, who has yet to sign with another team. Wing players on the market who could interest the Suns include Jumaine Jones, Devean George and big men like Aaron Williams.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69593

Fred Jones and Jared Jeffries are available too. Although the Pacers did made a qualifying offer to Jones for about $3.4 million which means they can match any offer Jones gets.

Reports out of Washington have the Wiz offering Jeffries a 1 year deal for $2.8 million. http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Seriously though, why the hell did we sign Piatkowski over guys like Padgett and Kukoc?

I still don't understand why we signed him so early into the freeagency period.

it's very doubtful either of those guys would have come here for the minimum. I can't understand why the hell people are so upset about signing Piatkowski. They are paying him the minimum to play a couple minutes off the bench for a specific purpose... three-point shooting.

mark1 said:

I understand why they passed on him, but I agree with you that it was a mistake. At the very least I think Marcus Williams is going to be a top-notch backup point guard. More likely he'll be a pretty good starting point guard at some point. There are really only three ways I'll forgive the Phoenix Suns for passing on him.

1. He just fizzles when he starts playing in actual games. I don't see this happening.

2. He does a bunch of off the court troubles and/or becomes a locker room cancer.

3. The Cleveland pick the Phoenix Suns got in the deal gets used on someone better or as part of the deal to help the Phoenix Suns more than Marcus Williams would have. Maybe the roster spot and money saved by moving Brian Grant gets used on somebody who helps a bunch.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
From HoopsHype and draftexpress.com:

Speaking of allstar summer league point guards, John Lucas, http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=98 has parlayed his fantastic performances in Vegas into quite a few offers for guaranteed NBA contracts. He is currently looking at no less then 5 offers for two year guaranteed contracts from teams in search of a backup point guard. The two teams believed to be in the lead currently are his current summer league club Houston as well as the Phoenix Suns, who like his potential to push the tempo of the game and run their dynamic offense behind Steve Nash. His agent David Falk is currently sifting through the offers, and there is even some thought that he might command more than the minimum considering how well he’s played so far. Lucas is currently averaging 23.4 points per game in Las Vegas (2nd in the league) and 7.6 assists (1st in the league) on 51% shooting from the field and 43% from behind the NBA 3-point line.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Sure, I'll add Lucas to the list, why not.

Strike Rasual Butler, though. The Hornets re-signed him today (after trading Snyder to the Rockets).

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
For my money I would try Melvin Ely if he was a reasonable price.

If not I would sign David Wesley and Loren Woods...

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
BEERZ said:
For my money I would try Melvin Ely if he was a reasonable price.

If not I would sign David Westly and Loren Woods...

Wesley is getting ready to sign with Cleveland.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Here's an addition to the FA list--veterans who make less than the Suns' TE and also have expiring contracts.

PG--Jeff McInnis (New Jersey), Kevin Ollie (Philadelphia)
SG--Matt Carroll (Charlotte), Dahntay Jones (Memphis), Jason Kaponovich (Miami)
SF--Pat Garrity (Orlando), Luke Jackson (Cleveland), Devin Brown (Golden State), Luke Walton (Lakers)
PF--Malik Allen (Chicago)
C--Jake Tsakalidis (Memphis), Zeljko Rebraca (Clippers), Vitaly Potapatenko (Sacramento), Mikki Moore (Seattle)

McInnis, Pat Garrity and Malik Allen seem to be the best fits, as they are mildly interesting and also eminently obtainable. I wonder what the story is with Kaponovich in Miami...

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Here's an addition to the FA list--veterans who make less than the Suns' TE and also have expiring contracts.

SF--Pat Garrity (Orlando), Luke Jackson (Cleveland), Devin Brown (Golden State), Luke Walton (Lakers)
C--Jake Tsakalidis (Memphis), Zeljko Rebraca (Clippers), Vitaly Potapatenko (Sacramento), Mikki Moore (Seattle)

McInnis, Pat Garrity and Malik Allen seem to be the best fits, as they are mildly interesting and also eminently obtainable. I wonder what the story is with Kaponovich in Miami...
I saw a bit of Matt Carroll playing for the Blazers and for some reason the only description that comes to mind is "plucky". I really can't understand why Devin Brown is bouncing around so much as I always that he was a heck of a player. I find Walton nearly as despicable as his old man for no good reason. Jackson might be interesting but we're more in need of guards really. I'd stay away from McInnis as he's a bit of a malcontent... not as bad as most former Blazers from his era though.

sunsfn

Reaction score
F-Dog said:

I read a few days ago that Jason Kapono....... :) contract has been picked up by Miami. I take that to say he must have had a team option.?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort